“One of my favorites”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Gilead
Jellystone Park at Dogwood Valley
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
“One of my favorites”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We have traveled to campgrounds throughout the south and midwest, and Dogwood Valley Camping Resort is on my list of favorites! I only wish we lived closer, because we would be there often! Since we have a very small RV, I first look for clean bathrooms, and those were excellent! Next, I consider the beauty, shady areas and recreational facilities. This is one of the prettiest campgrounds I have seen! The lake is the centerpiece, and there are amenities and activities galore! Rich and Nancy treated us like we were one of the family and you could tell that they strive for excellence in every way! Everything was clean and well maintained, and it was a wonderful retreat that could be as busy or as laid back as a person desired.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My family has been camping several times a year every year since I was a young boy. Now my wife and I have two kids of our own and decided it was time to upgrade to a pop-up camper. To try out our new (to us) camper, we decided to do a little weekend getaway without the kids. We've been to all the local state parks and like them well enough, but this time we wanted to try out something new. So we started searching private campgrounds near Columbus, Ohio and ran across Dogwood Valley. We decided to give it a shot... and we were so glad we did!

The grounds are beautiful and really well-maintained. Although the sites are gravel instead of paved, they all seemed to be well-graded, so no need for a lot of leveling. As far as amenities go, we really liked how everything is built around the lake, which is in the center of the campground. So wherever you stay, you're not far from activities. The only thing that is a bit of a hike is the camp store and pool area. But even so, it's a nice scenic walk.

Speaking of the pool, we were especially impressed with how clean it was and also fairly warm, especially considering we camped there on a busy and unseasonably cool August weekend. Although we didn't try out the waterslide or lake swimming area, we know our kids would have had a blast. Which is why we've booked our second trip to Dogwood Valley in just a couple of weeks.

But despite all the great amenities, scenery, activities, etc... the thing that sealed the deal for us were the shower houses. My wife (who once made me drive home from a state park campground just to take a shower because the campground showers were too gross) told me that for the first time in her life, she actually took off her shower shoes before entering the shower because "she didn't want to get the shower dirty". All I can say is that these showers rival many hotels I've stayed in. They're large, clean, and have really nice water pressure.

For those who like to fish, I can tell you that the lake/pond is quite a tease. When walking by the swimming area, I saw what was easily a 5 lb bass just cruising along like it knew I couldn't fish there and just wanted to check me out. My wife and spent a couple of hours fishing just outside the swimming area and all we caught were a couple of bluegill. But I can tell you there is at least one monster in there, and next time... he's mine.

Now, for those who are really tight on budget, I will say that Dogwood Valley is a tad more expensive than your average state park. We booked an electric/water site for Labor Day weekend and payed just under $170 for three nights. Still not too bad in my opinion.... especially for all they have to offer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Ohio
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We have been camping at Dogwood for the last couple of years - and after many years of pulling our camper from one location to another we decided to bite the bullet and become seasonal. We did this at Dogwood because our kids love the activities, boats, swimming, water slide, fishing & trails. All free except an occasional couple of bucks for a craft or concessions. Besides you could not ask for better people then Rich & Nancy and all the staff which is why we choose Dogwood. And since becoming seasonal we have been treated like family. We love camping here and plan to camp here for many years to come.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tara B
Marion, Ohio
Reviewed August 6, 2013

A couple of weeks ago my husband and I along with my daughter and two grandsons had the opportunity to stay in a cabin at dogwood valley. I have to say my grandson enjoyed all the free paddle boats canoes and kayaks. I even learned how to canoe, we really enjoyed heated pools for free! All the staff were very friendly and courteous,even loaned us her can opener. We also had a great time with the family just sitting along the lake or on the porch playing checkers. I personally enjoyed everything ,but most of all a clean cabin with a queen size bed, air conditioning and cable. If you have the chance you should try to visit Dogwood Valley it is so much better than when we were younger visiting there. Evelyn Dorfe and family

Room Tip: make sure you know exactly what you want before booking a camp site
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ashland, Ohio
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Where do I start...my whole family has camped many times at different places over the lasy few yrs...we wanted to try another place...we usually do the KOA's...which have been wonderful. So it all started we booked wks in advance(my 4 family group was 1st to book) everyone else went ahead & booked...we all requested water & electric & for us all to be close together....great seemed to be no problem...few wks later my cousin calls me b/c her friend also booked & was given our camp site...we all knew our camp site numbers...so I called Dogwood & they had moved us to another camping area away from the familydogwood had no explanation as to why they didn't call & ask us if we wanted to be moved away from that area...I woudn't have cared if they would have kept us in the same camping area for all of us ...even for my cousin's friend..that would have been fine, but to move us to an area aways from our group & not even call us & ask us was a bit upsetting...I honestly was nice about it & just kinda blew it off thinking mistakes happen...well then it happened again few wks later...my mom called down to confirm our sites & she was told that we had cancelled just our site...so my mom called me & asked me if we had cancelled & I said no...again I called them to see what was going on & they AGAIN had moved us to another camping site away from our family & w/ calling us...so AGAIN I didn't get too upset, but I did express my concerns to them...SO few days later...my cousin calls me & says we aren't aloud to take our own camping wood...that we have to buy it there or we will be kicked out b/c they go around to do checks. Dogwood said we should have known that b/c it is listed on their web site. So my husband wasn't too happy about that,but we decided to still go even though we had tons of wood here for free that was from a tree we had cut down....so then some of us got a call that we had to pay in full a few wks before camping d/t some issues they had last yr...some of our seven groups of family didn't get the call, but we told each other...otherwise we found out if we didn't pay then that we would lose the $$$ we had already put down & lose the site...that was a bit annoying. I think if they wanted full pmt...they should just request that in the beginning. SO...my mom calls there a few days before camping to ask if it was ok to bring christmas lights for our electric site to help make it easier to see at night(my cousin is considered legally blind) so this esp. helps make things easier....anyhow the person my mom talked to said "What are you talking about...you all don't have electric...those are non-electric sights"...so I don't have to type anymore...basically the sights we had were at one time electric sites, but they were updating things & didn't get them fixed in time for that weekend we were to camp & said at the time they could refund our money or move us....I ended up calling there...talked things over with them very NICELY... they ended up moving us to another place for groups that they said was huge & really nice...much to our misunderstanding once we got there...it wa svery small area & was close to the traffic & had a huge drop off at the one edge of the site which was very unsafe for us w/having 10 small kids...so they basically said that they were unable to please us & that we were difficult to deal with & kicked us all out & said none of us were ever aloud back there...they did however give us all our $$$ back thankfully! It was very upsetting...the lady we dealt with was Nancy & she was VERY rude. BUT we ended up just going to the place that we've camped at many times before at KOA in Butler Ohio & plan on going back to KOA again next weekend...sad that we had such a bad outcome w/dogwood b/c my grandmother used to take me there when I was a little girl...just wanted to be able to go back there again & it did seem like a cool place BUT they do dollar & dime you for everything...the charge is high just for friend to come visit & among other things...anyhow best of luck to all of those camping...we love to camp. Wish I could have wrote a better review

");

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Julie L
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was only able to spend 2 nights in a beautiful new cabin, but if i could.. i would spend a month! really! i was with my kids ages 5,6,7 and my cousins and their kids ages 14,16 and 12. THEY WERE NEVER BORED! I with everything included in the price.. the water slide, the canoes, the paddleboats...it made it so much easier than 'knickle and diming' me all day. fishing... hiking.. the campground was clean. the bathrooms clean and modern. the campsites were well cared for and easily accessible. it is a true family place. I only wish it was closer to our home in North Carolina! thanks for an amazing few days!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank momontheloose
Granville, Ohio
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had a great experience at Dogwood Valley, You could not ask for nicer owners, or nicer campers, anywhere else that I can think of. The campground itself is lovely, and though we went prior to the season really kicking off, it is clear that there are a large variety of things to do that would keep just about anyone entertained. We are really looking forward to going back when the weather is warmer and we can take advantage of the pools, the lake, the slide and all of the other amenities they offer. A must stay if you are in the Ohio area!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
La Quinta Inn & Suites Mansfield
Rose Heart Inn
Rose Heart Inn
#1 of 2 in Mount Gilead

Been to Jellystone Park at Dogwood Valley? Share your experiences!