“Nice Change”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2012

This restaurant is located in Ohio's Amish country. Most travelers to this area want to try the "Amish Style" food. If you are in the area more than one day, you want a different type of food. This restaurant has "Amish Style" food but also features Austrian/German items. I like the schnitzels with hot german potato salad and saurkraut. The bread served with meals is a pretzel bread which is very good. The servers are in costume and the restaurant has a mural on the wall. It gives the restaurant a different look than most restaurants in the area. If you are eating more than one meal in the area, I would recommend this restaurant as a nice change of food styles. The restaurant is in the upper level of the building. You can circle to the right of the building to an upper level parking lot to avoid walking the steps.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

First thing that tipped me off was a NEW Menu for 2012. My favorites, Swiss Steak and Pan Fried Chicken, were missing from this menu. Also, the prices have appeared to have balooned! My Herb Chicken appeared to be a Sparrow, not chicken. It was very dry and unseasond. And when I asked for gravy on my mashed potatoes, I was told that gravy was not available. Needless to say, I will never return!!!

3  Thank Henry S
Ursula G, General Manager at The Chalet in the Valley, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2012

Hello - We're very sorry to hear of your experience at Chalet in the Valley.
Unfortunately, sometimes we have to make some practical cuts due to customer responses and experiences. Swiss steak was a favorite to a few, but not something that was consistent. We did not always receive good feedback on our Swiss Steak, so we acted accordingly. We wanted to update our menu with fresh, new items so that no matter what is ordered, it will be great. With the inconsistent feedback on the swiss steak, we didn't want to take the chance of having new guests try it, not like it, and then leaving with that as their impression of our restaurant. Especially when we have schnitzels and so many great things for them to enjoy! However, we value the opinions of all of our guests and have taken your feedback into account.
We initally took the pan fried chicken off as well to try a different kind, but decided to bring it back, also due to customer response. So you can now find it on our menu again!
We apologize for not having any gravy available at the time, but that is something we have also changed since your visit. We can now provide it upon request!
Also - although no items went up in price more than a dollar, we had not updated our pricing in years, so it may seem like they "ballooned." Like every business, we have to update our pricing according to our food costs. We would love to not have to raise them, but then we would not be able to stay open!
We apologize once again but hope this gives you a little insight on our menu changes and a better understanding of our decisions. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed December 28, 2011

We've been to Chalet In The Valley many times. It is hands down our favorite restaurant around here. Unfortunately it is closed down for the winter. We've always had great service and the food is always excellent. The restaurant itself is unique and it is ALWAYS spotless. It is designed to resemble a traditional Swiss style chalet and the waitresses all dress in traditional Swiss attire. The menu isn't extensive, featuring mainly Swiss and home style cooking, but everything is delicious. We highly recommend this place!

1  Thank Benjamin R
Reviewed November 15, 2011

My wife and myself, along with my sister and her husband stopped in on November 11 for a late lunch. We were seated after about a 10-15 minute wait. I ordered one of the daily specials -a pork cutlet (4 or 8 oz) topped with melted swiss and mushrooms and a side. At $6.99 for the 4 oz portion, I found this to be a great value and perfect sized lunch. We ordered sauerkraut balls for an appetizer and they were deep fried to perfection. The mustard dipping sauce had a hint of horseradish which gave it a little kick.

My sister and my wife both ordered a patty melt sandwich and though I can't remember what my brother in law ordered everyone seemed pleased with their meals. My wife was pleasantly surprised to discover the "bread" was actually fresh-baked pretzels. Overall, we found this restaurant to be reasonably priced and the food to be very delicious.

Pros:
*Expansive menu with a varied selection of both traditional Amish fare, traditional Swiss/German fare, and seafood.
*Varied menu options (i.e, dinner-sized portions, sandwiches, all you can eat) to fit everyone's appetite.

Cons:
*Waitress did not explain daily specials. Only reason that I knew about them was from skimming the whiteboard on the way into the restaurant.

Reviewed October 14, 2011

My parents and I stopped here after coming back from the Millers Dry Goods quilt shop in Charm. The food was excellent. I don't usually get excited about cheese, bu tthey use chees from the Guissburg shop across the road and it was soooo tasty. My parents have been to Europe and even they were impressed with the very flaky apple strudle. The restaurants and shops seemed much more crowded Fri and Sat so plan accordingly. If you are brave and hungry you can try the Matterhorn!

Two Amish men set up shop alongside the road selling itmes. We got two birdfeeders!!!!

1  Thank purplekerri1Chicora