“Disappointed , unlike previous visits”

The Inn at Honey Run
Ranked #4 of 12 Millersburg B&B and Inns
Newark, Ohio
“Disappointed , unlike previous visits”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

reserved a "superior" room for our getaway, but disappointed in the room for several reasons:\
lumpy mattress, table and chairs were from a conference room, and no décor on the walls. This was much different from our other experiences at the Inn in the past. we had a good time, but it was not worth paying $50 more than standard room.
Upon checking out I shared disappointment with the desk staff, and they were surprised at the description of the table and chairs I gave and followed me to the room to verify my concerns.
The response was " oh, this should not have been in here. There should have been leather chairs. I will have them change it for the next guests."
No effort was made to apologize or bring any satisfaction to my concerns. I was advised the "director" would be advised of my concern. I asked that I be contacted in follow-up. I have had no correspondence from anyone at the Inn since leaving almost 3 days ago.
Maybe it is time to look at other options for our next visit to Millersburg.

3 Thank jjjbbbb
honeyrun, Owner at The Inn at Honey Run, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear jjjbbbb,
Thank you for sharing your experience — your feedback is especially valued a returning guest. I am surprised about the misplaced chairs and sorry that they made your stay less comfortable, especially since I would want you to enjoy the chance to try out another room type. We will be following up in-person, and thank you for your patience so far.

Of course, we'd love to have you back. If you do decide to stay with us again, please let us know about problems with your room as soon as you can so we can attend to them while you are here!

Jason Nies, Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Columbiana, Ohio
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I wish I had read the reviews before I made a reservation. I made a reservation for more than a month ahead and after I read tripadvsior I decided to cancel because we were planning on going there for our anniversary. I was never told that I would have a $25 fee for cancelling the reservation. The email I received after making the reservation stated that. When I called the hotel to tell them that it was illegal not to be able to cancel within a day, the girl I spoke with hung up on me! So glad I cancelled if that is a sign of the service you receive!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kathy288
honeyrun, Owner at The Inn at Honey Run, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Kathy,
I am sorry to hear that the service you received was not up to our usual standards — please accept my apologies. Both our Policies page and our Reservation system clearly state our cancellation policy, which is similar to many of the small, independent hotels in our area.

If you do return to Millersburg in the future, we would welcome the chance to improve your experience based upon a stay with us.

Jason Nies
Proprietor
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We purchased a promotional rate a couple of months ago through AAA and settled on a one night stay in May. We had a "superior king" room which turned out to be lovely location wise. We had a corner view of the woods with birds and other wildlife outside the windows. We enjoyed the overall niceties of the facility. The decorating was pleasant and fitting for the setting. Our room was comfortable and quiet. Dinner in the dining room was good and our service was appropriate to a better restaurant atmosphere. I was not overwhelmed by the quality of the meal, having understood that it was a true gourmet spot. We were happy to have dinner there though. Choices for dinner are not convenient or to our taste. All in all it was a lovely get away. I have to agree with others that the desk staff was not as solicitous as I would expect for the going rates of the inn. We would return but I would look for another promotion to feel we were getting our money's worth.

Room Tip: Ask about the view from the room and any amenities important to you.
Green Features: Did not notice any particular efforts in environmentally friendly practices.
2 Thank Susan_SQ9711DJ
McMurray, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This was our second visit here for our anniversary weekend. Was excited to find another "deal" that included the romance pkg and the theatre package. We stalled our drive time, so we would arrive at 3 for checkin. When we arrived, however, our room wasn't ready. In fact it wasn't ready until 4! We were invited to go into the bar to have a glass of wine while we waited. One glass doesn't last an hour, so we had a couple. We both thought we should have been comp'd a glass of wine, but that wasn't to be so. So, once we got into the room, it was a nice, clean room. We had stayed in the honeycomb room the year before, and this one was in the lodge. It didn't have a fireplace or fridge, but other than that, it was comfortable, with bottled water, biscotti, a keurig and an iphone charger on the clock/radio. We especially enjoyed being so close to the lounge/gameroom, as we played pool, checkers, chess...and there were a variety of other games there for guests. They had a nice selection of movies that you can rent for free. We were very excited to eat at Tarragon again, and it did not disappoint. Our meals were so good on Friday, we had the same thing again on Saturday. Yes, it is pricey, but it is an excellent place to eat-(the food quality and presentation are first class)- and very convenient when staying here. Every server we had was lovely...enjoyed chatting with each one of them. The movie package was very nice- candy, popcorn, chips, beer, pop- very substantial and fun. The morning breakfast in our room was a very nice touch, with the included romance package, and the included complimentary breakfast the next morning is very generous and delicious! . The location in the woods is pristine...loved walking around the grounds and feeding the sheep. Other than the glitch when we arrived, it was a very nice, relaxing weekend for us. This is a highly recommended weekend getaway!

Room Tip: If you want more seclusion and a fireplace, stay in the honeycomb rooms.
USA
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I purchased a weekend package in February and scheduled it for a weekend in May. I had been there two other times so I expected to get this oversized room with a view of the woods. Instead I got a view of an eight foot wall of dirt, leaves, and ivy in a basement room. I scheduled my trip way in advance and ended up with a very unenjoyable room. I also wanted a room for four and they said that was not possible because no matter the size of the room the Fire Marshall only allowed two people per room. I was prepared to pay the difference. It was late so I asked how to order something to eat. While at the front desk I was given a menu and a suggestion was made by pointing to an item on the menu. Not once did they say it would cost $5 for delivery and a 22% service charge on top of that. It may have said on the menu, that there is a fee, but out of courtesy they could have brought it to my attention. When I complained they only would say that the charge was written on the menu. I also could not get the remote to work. Someone came to check it out but it didn't fix the problem so I had to call back and request new batteries to fix it. The decor in the room was bland with no pictures on the wall and a very frayed curtain. I will not return. The Wallhouse hotel will be my future choice.

Room Tip: Ask what level your room will be on! Don't take a basement room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kittycows
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I purchased a package that included 2 nights in an Inn room, the film lover's package and breakfast in room one day. It was a nice weekend getaway in a tranquil setting.
The Inn room was on the main floor and was decent but not newly remodeled. It did have updated technology including an ipod alarm clock and coffee maker. There was an animal (probably a squirrel) running around above the ceiling frequently and we just hoped it didn't fall through! We enjoyed taking short walks on the property and seeing the sheep.
The breakfast was good and we also dined at Tarragon for dinner one night. I appreciate that they have a fine dining restaurant right on the property as the other food choices in Amish country aren't very appetizing.
Overall had a nice stay and would consider returning someday.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I purchased a two night package in a Superior room with a wine, cheese tray, happy hour drinks and appetizers from 4-6pm.
Our room was nice and spacious. Bed was comfortable and I liked that they had complimentary keurig coffee, water and biscotti. Cheese tray was just okay, nothing to write home about. Front staff was pleasant at check in but no warm fuzzy vibes. Next day Rhonda was at the front desk. What a joy! So friendly and helpful. She went out of her way to make you feel welcome.And was very informative in regards to the area. Now that evening was a different story, my Husband made the mistake of asking the brown short haired lady where he could get creamer. She was short, abrupt and made it clear she could not assist with his request. I'm wondering if she was the one the other viewers were speaking of..
Trails were nice with a variety in distances based on trail chosen. Seemed well kept. We enjoyed the purple trail around the pond.
Tip1: We rec'd binoculars at check in and really enjoyed checking out the different birds. Who would have thought that bird watching would be so fun! Even from our ceiling to floor bedroom window.
Tip2: Though they have complimentary continental breakfast and club level happy hour drinks (with certain rooms)and appetizers be prepared to sit at a table and order your food. And don't forget a tip for the waitress. No buffet type of dining here. The waitresses were all very friendly and service was good. Restaurant is high end and pricey. But other reviewers have said the food is very good.
Tip3: No young children allowed. Honestly I was fine with that. After leaving our 9 and 5 yr old at home it was nice to have a quiet peaceful weekend.
I would like to come back in the Fall as I'm sure the view is spectacular. Would prefer to find a discount though. Not sure if it's $300 a night worthy but a nice place to get away.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
honeyrun, Owner at The Inn at Honey Run, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Susan,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and leave a review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to explore our walking trails and even find an unexpected interest in birdwatching! I will pass your kind words on to Rhonda, and I appreciate your feedback regarding our front desk. Improving customer service is my top priority, and I am working on it with my staff.

I would also like to note that our Superior rooms are typically around $200 a night, rather than $300, which I hope may make a return visit to see fall colors a bit easier. You're right — it is a beautiful time of year!

Jason Nies
Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millersburg
Berlin Resort
#2 of 4 in Millersburg
Zinck's Inn
Zinck's Inn
#2 of 4 in Berlin

Been to The Inn at Honey Run? Share your experiences!