“Very Enjoyable But Needs Attention To Details”

The Inn at Honey Run
Ranked #4 of 12 Millersburg B&B and Inns
Fairborn, Ohio
“Very Enjoyable But Needs Attention To Details”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Just stayed in a Honeycomb room for a couple of nights and it was very nice. The bed was comfy and the eastern view of the countryside was wonderful. There was a short lighted trail to the main complex along the hillside. We actually managed to sit on the walkout patio for a bit despite the cold weather. The room had a flat screen with Dish service and a DVD player (not listed anywhere), a Keurig coffee machine, a mini-fridge (not listed) and WiFi. The gas fireplace was wonderful. However we would have appreciated a dresser or drawers (only wire shelves now) to store our clothes. But in a $200 room the housekeeping should be better. There were many paint chips in the bathroom especially around the towel bars. There was dust on most surfaces at chest level and above. The shelf with the up light near the fire place was very dusty with dead insects (and may have kicked up my allergies.) The filter screen on the hair dryer was almost half filled with lint. I'd suggest that a review of housekeeping procedures and location descriptions in needed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank OldBoyScoutFox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Mayfield Heights
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I received a gift certificate for a birthday present and finally made a reservation almost 2 years later. Unfortunately our baby sitter cancelled on us the day before we were supposed to go, so my husband and I decided we would just take our youngest son with us. I called to possibly change our room, or at least see about paying the extra (as it states on the website). When I called and explained our situation the girl who answered the phone asked how old our son is and I told her 9. She informed me that children under 12 were not allowed. I told her that it doesnt say that anywhere on the website. Then I said well that I guess I will need to cancel. I was not too happy to think that I was going to lose our $50 deposit. Then she told me that it would actually cost us the entire price of the room because they needed 24 hour notice. I was quite shocked and she offered to let me speak to her supervisor. I explained the situation to the supervisor and that the website doesnt say anything about age,she told me that it was "irrelevant". She was very matter of fact and unsympathetic to our unfortunate situation. when I hung up with her and talked to my husband we realized that it was over 27 hour notice that we were giving. He called back and asked the same girl what time check in was and how much notice they needed. Check in was at 4 and they needed 24 hour notice to cancel. She recommended that he speak to her supervisor. The supervisor explained that she was being nice by letting us pay with our gift certificate because they should have charged our card. We faxed over the gift certificate. I didnt feel like they were being nice at all. We have 3 children I work 3 jobs and my husband works 2. My brother and sister in law were trying to give us a nice break. I was very saddened about the way this was handled. We met the requirement of proper cancellation, I dont understand. I think they should read and correct their site so no one else has a similar experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
27 Thank Meltom89
honeyrun, Owner at The Inn at Honey Run, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We feel that we more than adequately present our cancellation policy. It is available on our website under our policies page. We also place the policy in all reservation confirmation letters and we verbally present it during the reservation. The policy is as follows:

Cancellation within 10 days of arrival date of the reservation will result in the forfeiture of the full deposit. Cancellations within 24 hours of your arrival date will result in the forfeiture of the entire stay including any packages purchased.

We do adhere to this policy out of fairness to all guests, and we typically do not make concessions within the 24 hour period. As a compromise, we offered to use your gift certificate instead of charging your credit card for the full amount as we were sorry to hear you would not be able to join us for your intended getaway. We apologize that this compromise did not meet your needs.
Alliance, Ohio
Reviewed October 20, 2012

After purchasing a table from the Inn at Honey Run a year ago, we had also reserved chairs to purchase as well. The price for the furniture was clearly marked . We called monthly to see when they would be available for pick-up and were assured we would be contacted as soon as they were ready, and that our price was the same. Last month, after we called again, we were told they were ready, but the price was more than double the original, agreed upon price. The management would not honor the original price, nor would they negotiate a price. We would not have purchased the table if we had known how much more the chairs were going to be. Needless to say, we are very disappoointed. Be aware in your dealings with this establishments. We felt they were not honorable or trustworthy. Their restaurant, however, is wonderful!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
11 Thank Paul C
We are sincerely sorry to hear you feel you were misled on the pricing of the wooden chairs sold from our restaurant. The chairs were sold at $25 to all guests interested in purchasing these chairs. We did sell conference room chairs earlier at a lower rate, and perhaps this is what caused your confusion on pricing. We did not reduce the rate for other guests who were on the waitlist for these chairs, and we feel it would not have been fair to our guests to offer discounted rates to some guests and hold other guests to the standard rate.
Kent, Ohio
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I absolutely love staying at Honey Run. The accommodations are comfortable, clean and large Dining is an experience not just going to have a meal. A great chef with wonderful dishes. It is truly a peaceful and relaxing place to go to.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julie C
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in September and it excedded my expectations. Very clean, quiet and peaceful. We stayed in the main building - our room was spacious, cozy and comfortable. We felt right at home. We ate at the resturaunt for one dinner (scallops and hanger steak), 2 breakfasts (complimentary and pancakes) and once just for drinks. All visits were wonderful. The host and bartender knows a lot about drink making - and the area.

One reviewer here said the pancakes were horrible and heavy. They are made of oatmeal - and delicious! The scallops I had for dinner were the best I have ever had.

The hiking trails are nice - we got some great photos.

I made an appointment at the spa for a swedish massage and it was great - the spa is clean and relaxing.

Room Tip: If you stay in the main building, ask for a room on the third floor with skylights.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank flower7523
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I've been going to this Inn since it was first built, seeing as I grew up in Millersburg. Many a family birthday or anniversary was celebrated there because it actually was the nicest spot in that very agrarian area of Holmes County. Two years ago on a trip back to enjoy the fall in the Amish Country, we stayed in the Honeycombs and had a wonderful meal with family in the restaurant. This past week we stayed in a room right off the main lobby. It had a king-size bed, but other than the size, the bedding was horrible! First, the dust ruffle was torn and literally hanging off the end of the bed, which any housekeeper worth her salt should have noticed when she made up the bed. The sheets and the pillows were so old and rough, and the duvet comforter was SOOO heavy, it was impossible to sleep under it. The bed was WAY too soft. My sister-in-law expressed the same dismay over their bed on the third floor. Overall the room was comfortable, but knowing the reputation that the Inn has had in the past, I felt that the original owner, Marge Stock, would never have let things get to this point. After reading some of these other reviews, it seems apparent to me that attention to details in the higher end rooms is leaving these $200 rooms with what's leftover.

Due to plans with other family in the area, we ate only two breakfasts there this past time. The continental breakfast that comes with the room was quite adequate and had a nice variety. But I will say that my husband said the oatmeal pancakes he ordered the second morning had to be the worst pancakes he'd ever have cross his lips!!...HEAVY!!! The only other thing that seemed odd to us was our waitress the first morning graciously left us a carafe of coffee for the four of us adults, something my sister-in-law requested so that she would not have to keep coming back for refills. Certainly made sense. The next morning we noticed that a couple seated next to us had the same waitress whom we had had the morning before, and she had again left them a carafe. However, another waitress came by their table and curtly removed it, saying that they were not allowed to leave carafes on tables for people to serve themselves coffee refills. Really? Why NOT? What is wrong with that idea?

The only other thing that really rubbed me the wrong way was the fact that when I called to reserve the room, which was for the purpose of being in town for a funeral, so there was only one day between my call and our arrival, I was told that if I cancelled after making the reservation, I would be charged for BOTH nights!! One, there was very little chance of that happening, now that the funeral plans had been announced and our plane flights purchased, but it was just the crisp attitude and the idea of "You-WLL-pay-for-ALL-this-if-you-cancel" style of threat that did not warm the cockels of my heart and welcome be back to a place so dear to my childhood memories! IF that had happened, trust me, that would be the last time I would have ever darkened the door, AND I would have told others of that experience. If I were Management, I would certainly think that that is NOT how you win customers back if they have had to cancel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank Gretchen K
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This visit far exceeded our expectations in terms of providing a peaceful stay and a chance to re-acquaint ourselves with the area. The room was beautiful (and huge) and the deck and gas fireplace were unexpected treasures. Our rooms were cleaned daily and well done. There was no noise level from any of the rooms near us or above us. It was as if we were the only guests at the Inn. The free wi-fi was also much appreciated.

The front desk staff were always pleasant and eager to ensure we had a wonderful stay. We took advantage of the buggy ride and a massage. The buggy ride was outstanding and what a wonderful way to "see" the countryside. Jacob was very informative and easy to talk with. The massage was also a very pleasant experience and relaxing.

This was our 3rd (and best trip so far) and we will return. They have done a wonderful job of
remodeling the Inn and Dinning Room and have continued to maintain they outstanding
level of service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millersburg
Berlin Resort
#2 of 4 in Millersburg
Zinck's Inn
Zinck's Inn
#2 of 4 in Berlin

Been to The Inn at Honey Run? Share your experiences!