“Not recommended”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Millersburg
The Barn Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 12 Millersburg B&B and Inns
sheffield lake, ohio
“Not recommended”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The overall experience at the Barn Inn was awkward, and left a lot to be desired. We were disappointed in some of the amenities, the grimy tub, and strange, uncomfortable service in the lobby. The breakfast was good, but the owner talked for much longer than we had anticipated about the region while we wanted to get going, and she had egg on her clothing and in her hair. It just wasn't professional.

1 Thank angelah241
Loretta C, Owner at The Barn Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Angela,

Thank you for taking the time to post. I am so very sorry that your tub was not cleaned properly. In fact, the housekeeper who cleaned your room is no longer with us. We truly do demand cleanliness to our staff. In your post you mentioned that your experience here was "awkward" and described "uncomfortable service in the lobby." Those are vague and broad descriptions. It would have been most helpful to know specifically what you were referring to.

Please know that guests are free to come and go at breakfast time. Just before area announcements I usually invite people to sign out and be on their way if they wish to do so. I am sorry if I failed to mention that on the morning you were here. It is quite common for guests to eat and be on their way without staying for the orientation. It is always my aim to take no more than 25 minutes. Because we announce special events taking place that day and insights into the Amish culture, guests often are quite engaged in the discussion and sometimes ask more questions prolonging the discussion. Perhaps that's what happened the morning you were here. I am very conscious about time constraints and certainly don't want to infringe on guest time.

About the egg, yes, I'm the cook. I love to cook. I'm the only cook, and I'm a good cook.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Roblin, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We spent two nights at the Barn Inn and couldn't have been happier. The location was perfect, just far enough off the beaten path to feel like you had privacy and yet close enough to all the attractions that we wanted to enjoy. Loretta was a wealth of knowledge that you can't put a price on! Breakfast was also well worth the trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Germantown
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Staying at the Barn Inn was the perfect choice for our weekend getaway. The owners were very welcoming and accommodating. The food was delicious and the rooms were cozy. I would highly recommend staying here on your trip to Amish Country.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Akron, Ohio, United States
Reviewed June 2, 2013

A wonderfully charming Bed and Breakfast, The Barn Inn offers hospitality like no other. The live-in owners make it their mission to ensure each guest feels at home by providing ameneties not found at any other place. My wife and I were pleased to find an amazing room with a luxurious hot tub, heavenly bath robes, and one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. Breakfast was a great time giving the opportunity to enjoy a delicious home-cooked meal and to socialize with the other guests. Close to local tourist attractions, the convenient location allowed us to spend our time enjoying the area instead of getting to it. A definite must for anyone visiting the Amish Country!

Room Tip: The upgraded rooms are SO worth the extra! Luxurious hot tub and heavenly robes!
1 Thank Andrew M
Blacklick, Ohio, United States
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at The Barn Inn as a gift from our daughter & son-in-law for our 30th anniversary. The Coblentz's were wonderful hosts and provided information on the Amish as well as the attractions in the area. The breakfast was delicious and very hearty. We would recommend this bed & breakfast if you are ever in the area.

1 Thank Lani L
Branson, Missouri
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The Fred Gherig house is perfectly situated for a back roads ramble through Ohio's Amish country. The owners had provided bottled water for drinking and a full housekeeping setup. Wifi worked well. The patio deck offers a nice quiet spot to watch the carriages clipping down the road.
Owner Paul gives a great overview of things to see in the area; he grew up Amish and can share many personal insights.
The only problem with the Fred Gehrig house is the air vent system--even with the AC ice cold downstairs, the upstairs will be warm and stuffy. This might be a real concern in late summer...
Other than that, however, the experience was wonderful. A glance out the window would reveal a peacefully grazing llama and goat and a road flush with Amish merrily making their way along in horse-drawn buggies or on bicycles. Breakfast was lovely, served in a buffet of different homemade foods with coffee, juice, cider, and water.
All in all, it was a very unique, authentic experience that is highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank asiapointriders
Burnaby, BC
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Was in Amish country with family from Canton, and stopped here for the night. What a delight- from beginning to end! We needed two rooms, but were able to rent the entire two-bedroom original farmhouse next to the barn for less than the cost of two rooms. Then we had a large kitchen, washer and dryer (bonus after having ridden 18 miles on the Rails to Trails" path earlier), living room with cable and DVD, and 1 1/2 baths. The house kept the original woodwork and many old features and was furnished with a nice mix of antique and tasteful modern furniture.
At the top of the stairs is a darling child's area with twin bed, cute tiny table and a play kitchen. Wish I had kids! As well were two nicely furnished bedrooms with sleigh beds that were extremely comfortable. The half bath is on this level.
A/C worked well, but we also could open the newer double-paned windows for cool fresh morning air. Water was provided because spring well water was too close to the surface to be safe.
Breakfast was really great, with many choices: apple cider/ orange juice; cup of fresh fruit; "stuffed" french toast with REAL Ohio maple syrup; locally made sausages; Loretta's own croissant quiche; steel-cut oatmeal. I enjoyed how she greeted us all first, explained what we would have, welcomed us, asked our names then said a nice prayer before we started.
We really enjoyed Loretta's short program afterwards. I have been in many "touristy" areas where visitors were encouraged to buy buy buy at "local establishments". But in this off-the-beaten-path and not-too-touristy Inn, Loretta, ex-Amish herself and from the area was speaking from the heart. She shared her knowledge of local Amish families who offered the best quality for the most reasonable price, and which places allowed a true glimpse into the life of the Amish. When she briefly lapsed into a bit of "preaching" when talking about their religious rules, we were all interested and no-one minded one bit.
My only complaint is that Loretta has now SPOILED me. When I checked into my perfect-as -always Hilton-chain hotel room the next day, I found myself wistful, missing Holmes County, Loretta and the Barn Inn, and feeling distinctly as though I was staying inside what now felt like an empty boring Kleenex box...
I look forward to returning "home" to Ohio. For SURE I will be back to stay at the Barn INN - but they may find it hard to get rid of me!

Room Tip: Farm House is GREAT for those needing more than one room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Loretta C, Owner at The Barn Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for posting. Of course, it was our pleasure to serve you and converse with you. I was so very pleased to know that the farmhouse met you needs and am glad you felt at home there. Hope you will again, at another time, have occasion to stay again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millersburg
Berlin Resort
#1 of 4 in Millersburg
Zinck's Inn
Zinck's Inn
#2 of 4 in Berlin

Been to The Barn Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!