“Exceptional Establishment for Unforgettable Dining Experiences”

The Culinary Vegetable Institute
Ranked #4 of 12 Restaurants in Milan
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The Culinary Vegetable Institute features monthly Earth-To-Table dinners with chefs from around the globe who create special menus to feature local seasonal produce. Aside from the exceptional creations that come to the table, the kitchen is open which allows diners to watch and interact with the chefs. A sitting area by a fireplace adds a lovely touch on cold evenings.

3  Thank CVGJetGuy
There are newer reviews for The Culinary Vegetable Institute

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Dine on the farm. Special guest chefs offer monthly dining experiences.
Our foray was to one prepared by Chef Kelly of Cincinnati's Orchids restaurant.(In the Netherland Hilton Hotal.)Fantastic! Check the Institute's web site for coming events.

1  Thank travelmomCincinnati
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We found The Culinary Vegetable Institute looking in the internet for a good place to go eat in our visit to Sandusky Ohio. This place was intriguing as their theme was "from the earth to the table". We eventually found our way to the place although it's poorly marked and the GPS could not find the address on State Rout 13 (try Mudbrook road instead).

Anyway, we came upon a large building that housed a large dining area with wood floors, large windows and vaulted ceiling with exposed log wood beams A large fireplace with a nice fire was a welcome sight in the center of the far left wall. As you walk into the building, the dining room is to the left and the large kitchen is to the right. You are invited to go into the kitchen and everywhere else you might like and look around freely.

There were large round tables with white tablecloths and beautiful silver settings for 8 persons. The full course dinner as described on the menu was served by the staff. The restaurant features visiting chefs and this time there were 3 chefs from NYC and the kitchen staff to prepare the food which was of course, very much fresh from the farm.

Without going into details, the food was quite excellent. Very well prepared, very original and very, very tasty. We were told that this was an unusual occasion as normally the dinners are served "family style" at each table and the guests serve themselves.

Oddly, before and after the meal, the owners of the farm spoke about the mission of the institute and made a pitch for contributions. I could have done without it since the meal was by no means cheap. I did enjoy the presentation of the chefs and staff after the dinner.

I would have given it 5 stars, but the service was not very good for me. It was spotty at best and out of character with the setting and the quality of the meal. I was repeatedly ignored and had ask for my appetizers and coffee as they served other guests at my table but ignored me. This after the server dotted over the couple sitting across from me at the table... It was strange and uncomfortable, I don't take it personally but it really left a blemish in what could have been a perfect dinner.

Still, I cannot deny the talent and skill of the chefs and kitchen staff. They were also friendly and approachable after the meal was over and they were presented to the guests.

5  Thank traveller2Atlanta_GA
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The monthly dinners featuring guest chefs and benefiting Veggie U are awesome! It is worth the trek to this remote spot.

2  Thank Jennifer M