“Room Smelled like an old lake house”

Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Milan
Mason, Ohio
“Room Smelled like an old lake house”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

MILDEW smell in room, when reported to Front Desk, rather than empathy and concern, just laughter. I would never suggest anyone waste their money on this property. Wi-Fi connection spotty at best, and front desk couldn't fix it, in fact their system was down too.

Room Tip: Best tip, avoid Red Roof Inn Milan
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
643Red, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear ChicagoPaul345
Let me first Thank you for staying with us. I apologize for any nervous laughter by our desk staff regarding your issues. We have had a large amount of rain and we are trying our best to control the humidity in the hotel. We are working with a outside vender to correct the issues with our WIFI, We understand what a inconvenience this is for our guest.

Karen Ritter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Milan, OH. Overall I would say that our stay was okay. We stayed there for 3 nights. The first day we had wi-fi and the other days didn't have wi-fi. They did not know how to fix it. I was thankful that I had acquired most of my travel information already, but my kids were disappointed about the lack of service. The desktop computer in the lobby also did not work all of the time. BE AWARE that they will put a $1.00 daily safe fee on your bill. If you ask them to remove it they will. I feel that it is a bit of a scam, but when asked about the fee the front desk person removed the fee. The breakfast was okay, but I had to wait about 15 minutes to make a waffle. They had orange juice, apple juice, make your own waffles, store brand, boxed type doughnuts, bread, plain bagels, raisin bran, frosted flakes, oatmeal, hardboiled eggs, apples & I think oranges. They had coffee, but they did not have decaf. Breakfast was replenished frequently. They also had condiments for your items. If you travel north on US250 there were several restaurants and there is McDonalds 1 block away. Other reviews talked about linens - for some reason the blanket under the comforter is folded so that it only reaches half way up the bed - we too pulled the blanket out so that it would cover more. We did NOT have a refrigerator in our room - there also wasn't a microwave. The rate was reasonable and it wasn't too far from Cedar Point - I think about 20-25 minutes. Overall it was okay for the rate. We did get a substantial AAA discount.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and we stayed on the 2nd floor near the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
643Red, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Wendy_Louisville

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. We are glad that you found value in your AAA discount, and that the rates were reasonable. The make your own waffles are a extreme hit with the breakfast bar, sorry you had to wait to make one. Just too let you know, we have upgraded our WIFI equipment and it functioning much better and getting lots of great comments. We hope to see you again if you are in the area!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Staff is super friendly. Nice indoor pool area. Rooms were clean. We were only driving through and stayed one night. I feel like we got what we paid for, I'd recommend for a quick stay. Continental breakfast was decent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jessica H
Dear Jessica H

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and wanted to THANK YOU for taking the time to give us feedback on your experience. We truly value positive input from our guest and your kind words mean the most. We look forward to seeing you on a return trip to our area.

# 643
Niles, Ohio
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have stayed at The Red Roof Inn in Clyde for the past 2 years but decided to stay in Milan this year since it was closer to the race track. Upon check in the front desk clerk tried charging me $175.99 a night for Friday and Saturday night. We checked in on a Thursday which was July 4th, I had my email confirmation which showed my rate was $79.99 a night for the entire stay leaving on Monday July 8th. Thank God I paid cash or my credit card would have been over charged she did honor what my confirmation showed. I am a Red Roof Inn card holder and always get emails saying you get different things with your card. I received nothing and as of now didn't even get my points for the visit. On Friday we got towels from housekeeping on Saturday they cleaned our room. We left early Sat morning and came back around 6 the housekeeper unplugged our small refrigerator that was in the room and we had food in it, wasn't to happy about that since there were several other plugs she could have used. I do have to say the bed was comfortable but the blankets weren't big enough to cover you. The breakfast wasn't any thing spectaculiar and also we were on the 2nd floor they don't have elevators so we had to carry all our stuff up to the room. The stair well looked like it hadn't been cleaned in some time there was dirt and a couple dead bugs on the steps. The room was on average and was pretty clean. Overall not to thrilled with the property hope that management can make some changes on their customer service and teach house keeping a few things too. Not sure why the Red Roof Inn offers a reward card when you don't get anything for it. Alot of hotels give points as well as complimentary water and other snacks upon check in this property didn't offer anything.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
643Red, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Kim

I am sorry we were not able to meet your standards. We have 24 hours staff to take care of any needs that may come up during your stay. I did research and your reservation was honored at the rate you were quoted. I not sure of the mix up but I am happy that we honored your orginal rates. Thank you again for allowing me to research these issues you have commented on.

Thanks
Karen Ritter

Travelers are raving about these Milan hotels

Central Illinois
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This Red Roof is very conveniently located to Cedar Point which was one of the reasons we chose it. The other reason was that they normally give my husband's company a hefty discount, but as it turned out, they did not honor the discount. The motel is ready for an update--and for all their fuss about their special linens, we were not impressed with the quality or comfort of their linens. The sheets were thin. The blanket came up to my waist and the bedspread was fitted which made it nearly impossible to stretch out. We had to unmake the whole bed before sleep was possible. There was mildew around the grout in the bathroom and even with the A/C on the humidity in the room stayed high--probably from the indoor pool nearby. We used to travel with a dog, so I appreciate their pet friendly policy but as I was searching the floor for stray sox as we were getting ready to leave, I found dog poo in the corner under the table. That was a deal breaker. We are returning to the area in the fall, but it won't be to this Red Roof.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank midwestgirl_56
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Great room at a good price. Rooms were clean, beds were just right. Rooms came with hair dryers, and iron with ironing boards (missing at several Red Roof Inns we stayed in this trip). Continental breakfast provided. Staff very friendly and made us feel welcome. We love Red Roof Inns pet policy, no extra charge for a pet in the room. We think its the best reason to stay a Red Roof Inn. Affordable and clean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
643Red, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear VLouis12,

Thank you so very much for your review of our hotel during your recent stay! I am so happy that we provided you with the nicest Red Roof Inn of your trip! We take pride in our hotel and like to make sure every guest that stays with us is happy and comfortable. Yes, your four-legged family members always stay free with us at Red Roof Inn. I hope to see you again when travelling in our area.

Thanks again,
Hotel Management
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We rented 2 rooms. Room 124 had pubic hairs in bathroom. Room 122 had Roach inside of window. Staff wanted to give me 10% of my money back. Waiting to hear from the manager. Beds were terribly hard. We slept in clothes. It was a horrible experience. Never again...

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank sstayer123
643Red, Front Office Manager at Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear sstayer123,

Ms. Stayer, I am so very sorry for your recent bad experience at the Sandusky/Milan Red Roof Inn. I felt horrible that your stay was anything but satisfying. I spoke with you on Saturday evening October 13 regarding your stay, so I am very confused as to why you said you are waiting for the manager to respond. As I said on the phone to you, my staff only has authority to offer you 10% discount on the stay which is why my front desk clerk left me a message with your name and number to call you. Since I work evenings, I did not come in until 4pm that day. I called you by 6:30pm that evening after speaking with my head housekeeper and the two desk clerks that worked on Friday evening. Then after speaking with you, I decided to give you greater compensation than 10%. I take guest complaints very seriously and investigate each one. In this case, the bug in questions is not a roach, but a box elder bug, common to this area and dense wooded areas. Since our hotel is near a wooded area, during the fall months, we usually see an increase in them. The housekeepers know how to remove them (they are best killed by being vacuumed up). I spoke with my staff and they all know to be more diligent when cleaning the rooms. It is always my hope that every guest that stays with us is taken care of and has a restful night's sleep. I do hope after our talk on Saturday that you will reconsider us at the Sandusky/Milan Red Roof Inn to give us another try to show you that we can do better!

Thanks for bringing these issues to my attention! We hope to be of service to you in the future! If there is anything I can assist you with in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me at (419) 499-4347.

Steve
Front Desk Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milan
Quality Inn
Comfort Inn Sandusky
Comfort Inn Sandusky
#7 of 35 in Sandusky
Comfort Inn River's Edge

Been to Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky? Share your experiences!