“Great visit for our family = thanks!”

Thomas Edison Birthplace
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Milan
More attraction details
Owner description: Tiny brick house where the inventor Thomas Edison was born.The museum features a collection of rare Edisonia, examples of many of Edison's early inventions, documents, & family mementos.
Pgh PA
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 203 helpful votes
“Great visit for our family = thanks!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Our family of 2 adults, 2 kids ages 10 & 7 visited May 23. We had come up from Pittsburgh to go to Kalahari and to keep our trip educational since the kids were missing school I found this little historical town (On Trip Advisor, thanks!) We took a break from the waterpark and went over in the afternoon to see Thomas Edison's birthplace. We had a guided tour with a wonderful redhead lady (sorry I do not remember your name) who really knew her stuff plus added in humor, too. My kids really loved the tour and learned a lot at the same time. It was fun to tour the home and see all the antiques. The nice lady in the office where we paid gave my son print-outs with facts so he can take back and tell his class about what he learned - thanks to both of you ladies and thanks for helping teach the young and preserve history.. There was also another (or maybe several other little museums right by this one you can do also) but we ran out of time, only a modest fee but necesary to pay the staff and help keep this preserved. You will tour 3 floors of this older home (not handicap accessible, just keep in mind if thats an issue) thanks again...The Russi Family.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank MellyRussi

South Amherst, Ohio, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Edison's actual birthplace”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

You'll have to travel to Greenfield Village to see his shop, but Edison's actual birthplace is close by in Milan, along with two packed historical museums and houses on the same street to tour. This town has one of the best Christmas displays I've ever seen and they used to have a marvelous Christmas Tree lane to visit. The town has antique shops still, but the old "Milan Inn" restaurant is gone. (now a shop instead) You will get your money's worth if you like historical museums and homes if you visit this place!

Macedonia, Ohio
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 196 helpful votes
“Time Well Spent”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My friend and I arrived a few minutes after the museum opened and enjoyed a tour of the office area filled with unusual contraptions. Each was explaind and all of our questions were expertly answered. Our curiosity was satisfied with the professional tour of Edison's birthplace. It was as complete a tour as i could have hoped for and I am very glad I took the trouble to go a bit out of my way to stop at the home and office area. I enjoyed the nearby shopping area and could just imagine the canal days gone by. I made sure I patronized the gift and souvenir section and am enjoying the edition of the Edisan biography I purchased after my visit. I recommed setting aside a few hours for this fascinating place. The exterior gardens were in full bloom and I even took a trip on the walking/hiking trail at the rear of the home. It was a most enjoyable and delightful experience and one I will remember for many years. So glad I made the time for this historical treasure.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Michael M
NE Ohio
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Most informative tour I've ever taken!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I thought I knew all about Thomas Edison. Boy was I wrong! This tour was fascinating, and the history presented most impressively by a very young gal (high school?) I must say though, that this is not a tour for anyone who has difficulty with stairs.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank busybeaver
Manheim, Pennsylvania
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“tour guide was friendly and knowledgeable”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stopped about an hour before the museum was to close. The guide gave us a great tour and was well informed about the house and Thomas Edison. Even though we came late we were not felt pushed in any way. After the tour of the house she took us out back and explained the importance of the canal in the late 1800's

Visited September 2012