“Decent Hampton Inn”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Milan
Toronto, Canada
“Decent Hampton Inn”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is your basic Hampton Inn - I chose it based on TA reviews (I was visiting Norwalk and there are even fewer options in that area). Staff was friendly, room clean, bed comfortable. Wasn't great, but wasn't terrible. I would stay there again. A warning: there's not much of anything in the general vicinity.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Drew S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sandusky South, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at my property. I’m glad your overall experience was a good one. I hope if you are in the area again you will stay with us and we can make your experience an even better one.
Drew Schaeffer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I went to the Hampton in Sandusky as part of a trip with my family. It is close to Cedar point which was good for us because that was the reason we stopped in Sandusky. We got two king beds and one queen all for about $180 per night. The room was very large (it was once a meeting room) and fairly clean, although it did have some coffee stains on the ground. The staff was very nice, and the free breakfast was good. The only complaint I have is that we asked for a late checkout and the only way they would give us one was for about $80 more, which is almost half of what we paid for the room. I think that is kind of ridiculous. Overall it is a good hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to go to Cedar Point. We do all we can to create a great experience for each of our guests; actively looking for ways keep costs low and offer enhanced services for comfort and convenience. I appreciate your feedback about your late check-out charges as it provides valuable feedback for the future. The next time you are in the area, please consider staying with us at again.
Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I read several reviews as we were driving in late at night and was a little worried! All for nothing though. The hotel was nice and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful as well. I honestly think some people could find something to complain about anywhere. Don't be afraid because of reviews. Typical Hampton stay:). (Very small beds though!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Drew S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sandusky South, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the postive feedback from your stay with us. i hope that you will come stay with us again when traveling in the Sandusky/ Milan area.
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in the Sandusky/Milan OH area. It was very nice and the front desk was very helpful. Was not sure if this was the correct hotel that we'd made a reservation earlier as there were two Hampton Inns along Rt. 250. It was and we were fine with the room. We had eaten dinner in Norwalk as we knew of the Berry's restaurant so we did not have room service. I again would recommend this Hampton as I would most as they usually do not disappoint.

Room Tip: They asked us if we would take a room with two beds which was fine for us. They had overbooked the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Came to Sandusky, OH for a family reunion for 4 days. We booked two rooms with an adjourning door at this hotel. As soon as you walk into room 220, the urine smell slaps you in the face. Once you get pass the first bed, the smell goes away. We were so tired upon arrival we just went to bed. The next day, you could hardly smell anything. Left the room, spent the day out and about and at the pool. When entering the room, again you get the urine smell. We had housekeeping change all the linen. Still the room smelled. It felt like I was sleeping in mildew/damped room. The other room had not problems. This is not an original Hampton Inn where most "true" hamptons are three stories. As a diamond hilton member, I was very disappointed. Breakfast wasn't all that exciting either. Staff was friendly and provided us with a can of frebreez.

Room Tip: Read trip advisor first. I believe if I would have read this site first, I would have skipped this...
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at my property. I’m very disappointed that your stay was not all it could have been and you left feeling unsatisfied. I often times utilize guest reviews to assess insights within our hotel operations and I have reviewed your feedback with the hotel team and we are now actively taking steps to freshen our guestrooms. Once again I apologize that your stay with us was not satisfactory. I appreciate your time in reviewing our hotel and hope that if you are in the area again you choose to stay at my property so that your unsatisfactory experience can be a good one.
Ohio
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This hotel met the normal standards of a Hampton Inn. Staff was very friendly and helpful, rooms were very nice, air conditioning worked very well. The hotel is just in need of some updating. The housekeeping was excellent, however the rooms were beginning to show their age.

The price however, was very high, especially for a Hampton Inn, though that is it be expected in a tourist area such as this. For the price I could have stayed at any umber of 5 star hotels in other non tourist areas.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back are quieter.
1 Thank cavsfan007
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We had the misfortune to stay at the Hampton Inn Sandusky (6100 Milan Road) and then at the Hampton Inn in Milan (11600 US250 Milan Road). I had to write this because the others said it was sooo good. It was because the Sandusky OH hotel was so bad, we had to move to the Milan Hampton. I was hoping for a nice stay with my family on the last day of a terrific vacation. Hampton (Hilton) ruined the terrific memory. It was a nightmare !! At Sandusky OH Hampton, Room (Rm 316) smelled of smoke covered up with perfume. Pool was disgusting- too hot in pool area. Toilet broke - manager couldn't fix it. I asked for another room. Phone in room called Hilton Reservation line instead of front desk. I had to walk down to the front desk for assistance. I asked for another room but there were none, so manager (Spencer) called the Milan facility and got us a room there.

Now, its 10:30 PM and we had to pack up and drive 5 miles to the other Hampton. I was expecting a nicer room, but no! Room 214 had no closet and an AC that must have been broken. It made loud sound like helicopter when starting up a new cycle. High and low fan were same rate. The room was damp and smelled of urine. Dirt on toilet seat cover (see photo). Everything was moist and seemed wet. Also, my bed was next to air duct (see photo). This made sleeping extremely difficult (slept only 3 hours). The next morning I noticed that there was no security cameras on back door. Really? I value my family and safety is paramount when I stay somewhere. Who knows what could have happened.

In my sleepless state I was smart enough to cancel my second night and booked a room at a Marriott an hour away. (Marriott was beautiful I might add.) There were restaurants around the Milan hotel (like Bob Evans just down the road) where I could get a good breakfast for my family. By the way, the free breakfast at the Milan Hampton had the most disguisting processed cheese omelets that looked like they were 15 years old.

I hope this review will be helpful to other Dads who want to show there kids a good time at Cedar Point. Stay away from the Hamptons in this area. They did 'comp' me for the stay, but I must get this review out there since these other people must have stayed in a different room. These events and rooms ruined the end of a perfect vacation.

Room Tip: Please don't stay here. Spend a bit more for hotels or even the Water Park Hotel down the stree...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. We apologize for the bad smell during your stay. We understand that travel is very important and try to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Our closet in the room is outdated as it is a wardrobe closet, sorry for that inconvenience for you to think there was no closet at all in the room. We have worked with our maintenance team to correct the other issues in your room. Again, I apologize for the level of service you experienced while you were here. This is not typical of our hotel and we hope you will consider staying with us In the future.
Drew Schaeffer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milan
South Beach Resort Hotel
The Island House Hotel
The Island House Hotel
#3 of 17 in Port Clinton
Hampton Inn & Suites Sandusky / Milan

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sandusky South? Share your experiences!