“Crazy Good experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Crazy Good experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

First the food---- great sandwich (roast beef with au jus), friend had a great burger, MUSTARD- not too hot, not too sweet. Next time will try something different- under protest in my mind.. Best part of whole deal:::: Downtown Middletown- A true diamond in the rough.

• Visited June 2013

Lebanon, Ohio
“Good right now. But going to be great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I think in a few months this will be a 5-star for me. Had lunch there, and the food was good (quesadilla). Portions were OK for the quesadilla (tortilla was a little on the small side with not much carnitas inside), but my fellow diners had great sandwiches, I noticed. Coffee and dessert were very generous and delicious. Pricing was fair for the food. The chef is from the Red Onion, so I think the food is still in its infancy stage (and yet it's good). I think it will get MUCH better.

The ambiance was SPECTACULAR! I want to come back at night just to see the place lit up.

Definite improvement needed in staff. We arrived at 1:00 and waited for five minutes. No hostess. Nor could we spot a waiter/waitress to flag down. Finally I walked to the kitchen and asked if we were supposed to seat ourselves. Lots of socializing back there going on. The hostess vaguely pointed in the general direction of a table and told me I could sit there while she ran for menus.

The staff situation improved with our waitress (ask for Alicia!) She was fast, knew her menu, and knew how to sell us on the dessert!

Will definately be back soon. I think this place is going to be great once the baby steps are over

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Logan222
Ohio
“New Favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I have lived in Middletown for several years, and we were so excited to hear that such a wonderful fine dining restaurant came to town! As downtown Middletown is being revitalized as we have the new Pendleton Art Center, Cincinnati State, and so much more... Stained 1054 Bistro is the perfect type of restaurant that our town needs!

We took our grandparents there - who are extremely cultured and enjoy the fine arts, and they were amazed at the decor, drinks and menu. We started out with the gorgonzola chips, which each got a salad with our entree (which were huge and wonderful!), and 3 out of the 5 got drinks. Everyone at our table was extremely pleased with their meal - making comments on the amount of food that was on their plate and how delicious everything was! Our family ordered the pork schnitzel special, the deconstructed beef pot pie (yum!), shrimp caesar salad and the mushroom risotto. Our only complaint was the the beef and the pork schnitzel did not have enough sauce/ juice on them; therefore, we each asked for extra sauce - and everything turned out excellent!

The atmosphere was delightful. It would be a great place for a rehearsal dinner, business meeting, etc. We will definitely be returning and telling our friends about Stained 1054 Bistro! We are so thankful they have opened in downtown Middletown!

• Visited May 2013
Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not sure where the other reviewers have eaten”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were very excited to try this new restaurant as we love to support local establishments but it was a huge disappointment. Our server wasn't even going to mention the specials until I asked about them and even then he couldn't remember them and just gave us the printout he was supposed to carry to read. We started with an order of the gorgonzola chips and found them to be store bought kettle chips with a handful of cheese and balsalmic tossed on top. My husband ordered the whiskey marinated rib-eye well done and literally five minutes after we ordered (at the exact same time as they brought our salads) they were at our table with "our" food. The steak and everything with it was barely warm and the steak was incredibly dry. I know there is no way to cook a ribeye medium well in less than five minutes so it was obviously all precooked and sitting back in the kitchen. I ordered the Rum Runner shrimp special and while it was good, 23 dollars for four shrimp, some rice and a salad seems steep in my mind for a place with laminated menus. My husband sent his steak back and this time it took a good twenty minutes before they brought him a fresh plate and in the meantime we had no contact at all with our waiter or especially a manager to offer service. By the time his food arrived I was done with my dinner and at that point a manager appeared to offer a free dessert but she couldn't remember what they were serving that night and had to go back to the kitchen to find out. While we might be willing to consider a return visit if we thought they just needed to work out the kinks as a new place, for something in this price range, it was completely unacceptable and we won't be back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hscottmd
Raleigh, NC
“Terrific food, service and history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

First sign of a good restaurant: a short menu. They don't try to do too many things so that they can do them well. This restaurant follows that rule. Fresh salad, tasteful use of spices, angus burger served hot and done to order. The waitress was attentive and helpful. My glass never sat empty for more than a minute. On top of all this, the restaurant is inside an historic building that housed the G.C. Murphy store, the last of the storied five-and-dimes. The owners renovated the inside using beautiful pieces from three schools and a church, all from the early 1900's, that were being torn down. For example, the wood decor surrounding the bar is from the church's pipe organ. The doors and framed slabs of marble on the 2nd floor of the building are from Roosevelt Middle School.

• Visited April 2013