“Major restaurant downgrade makes me re-think Courtyards”

Courtyard Cleveland Airport South
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I've really enjoyed staying at this Courtyard in the past. And when I stay next door at the Towneplace Suites, which "offers" bland, grab-and-go food, I make a point of walking over to the Courtyard in the morning for an outstanding buffet breakfast. Omelets, potatoes, bacon, pancakes, wonderful drip coffee - they had it all.

After a year's absence, I am in Cleveland again, and just walked into the Courtyard. They have radically re-designed the dining room, a la the Marriott "Bistro" concept. God, what a disappointment! Gone are the elaborate, custom-made breakfasts. You get about four rigid choices (no omelets, for example). That's it. And the turkey BLT I just had for dinner was a study in overpriced mediocrity.

Tomorrow morning, I have nothing to look forward to - just those three or four boring choices on the overhead "menu" above the counter. No more "whatever you ask for" breakfasts in a real restaurant section and no more of that great coffee. (From now on, it's Starbuck's at Courtyard, which in my opinion make horrid drip coffee. But the marketing people must be right - after all, it's Starbuck's!)

I had noticed the "Bistro" layout at other Courtyards I've stayed at in the past year, but didn't realize it was a Marriott-wide change. That makes Courtyards a lot less desirable.

This is still a comfortable, pleasant hotel, with good rates. But I've got to re-think my previous commitment to Marriott now...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Isoruku

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Where to begin? I guess the good. The room is very clean and the air conditioner was working like a champion even though it was a single unit by the window. Also – the front desk staff was more than courteous and went out of their way to help. The bad: the rooms need a remodel REAL bad. Just ready for a facelift. The lobby has been renovated and it looks great – but the rest of the hotel is lacking. Next – the air conditioner at the end of my hall (next to my room) was either leaking or condensating (is that even a word?!?) and SOAKED the carpet in front of it, the stairs and near my room. Don’t really want to walk through soaking carpets every day. And last – the shuttle was far from convenient or on time. I took the shuttle 9 times during my week stay and they were only on time for 3 of those uses. And you would think the driver would be extra accommodating due to their tardiness – but nope – they were overly aggressive drivers and quite rude.

So long story short – if I am in a bind – I would stay here again – but only after my 5 other hotels in the area were full…

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Convenient location and close to I71 and I480 and even downtown Cleveland access. The recent refurbishment is a nice touch with the modern Euro appearance that Courtyards are undergoing currently. Efficient cafe style restaurant makes use easier and faster.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed here on business on July 2-4 with my girlfriend. The hotel has recently been refurbished in the lobby and shares the look and feel of the newer Courtyard properties (restaurant and bar with a hangout area). The rooms are nice and the beds comfortable. What really made this place standout was the service from the manager. My girlfriend slept in past breakfast and went down to get some breakfast to find the restaurant closed. The manager made her a wonderful breakfast and saved my hungover girlfriend. I had been staying at the Shabby Holiday Inn off Royalton but no more now that the Courtyard is so nice.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

we were shocked by how well designed and clean this place was! for the price, it really should have had free breakfast! The food in the lobby was expensive so we walked down the street for our meals. All in all, super clean and cold rooms. The shuttle to the airport was really convenient but make sure that you let them know you need it in advance

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Great hotel located close to the Cleveland Airport. Friendly staff and very good restaurant. The rooms were comfortable and clean. Beds were great allowing us a good night sleep. Perfect place to stay when flying out of Cleveland Ohio.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I travelled to Cleveland (Strongsville), Ohio on business from April 16 to 18, and from April 30 to May 2, 2012.

I stayed at Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Airport South in Middleburg Heights, OH on both trips.

Shuttle service from Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport to hotel was very prompt. On second trip, Hotel General Manager himself picked me up! Shuttle service is convenient to pick up supplies at nearby store and, to and from dinner. Shuttle drivers were very courteous, professional and pleasant.

Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. For dinner, they recommended nearby Santo’s Italian Restaurant – a family-run restaurant which offers homemade pasta dishes – exactly what I was seeking.

Hotel lobby was very nicely refurbished recently and The Bistro cafe opened just a few days before my first trip. Cafe offers some nice meal choices. Personally, I liked the variety of healthy breakfast items – fresh fruit, yogurt, whole wheat bagel, assorted teas – that they offer to eat in or to go.

My room had everything that I wanted. On my return visit, front desk staff offered me the same room as my previous visit, which I accepted (nice touch!). I used the hotel’s fitness center and convenient airline check-in in the lobby. Hotel also has a nicely refurbished lounge/business center across from the lobby/cafe to relax or print documents. I noticed a few families with young children using the pool, so it would seem to be a family-friendly place to stay.

I would recommend this hotel to business travellers. Nice room, amenities, and friendly staff. You cannot go wrong. I look forward to returning to Courtyard by Marriott Cleveland Airport South on my next trip to Cleveland (Strongsville), OH.

Keep up the great work, GM Bryan and staff!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business