“Mixed bag”

Sonesta ES Suites Cleveland Airport
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is an old property (that has had some updates), but is showing it's age. Our family of 5 was in a "penthouse suite" which required us to carry luggage, etc up a flight of stairs to our room. No elevator. The room set up is a little awkward with one bedroom and bath down stairs and a loft up stairs (open to lower level) with bed and bath. There is a small kitchen, again quite a bit out-of-date. If you have grown accustomed to the new Residence Inn set up you are likely going to be dissapointed with this place. In it's day it was an innovative concept with apartment-like approach to longer-term stays. Today, it just does not hold up compared to other options which are more family friendly.

We found the staff friendly and enjoyed the breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
maddy0429, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Cleveland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you for staying with us while you were in the Cleveland area. We are one of the original Marriott Residence Inn's and absolutely offer a unique set up with the apartment style layout of our buildings. In addition, we have added on to this property a 3 story indoor corridor in the back of the property with 54 King suites. Compared to the new style of Residence Inn we definitely are different but still like to offer the same comfort and amazing staff you should expect when traveling to any Marriott. Thank you again for your business and for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We've stayed at this hotel several times over the past several years. They have rooms & prices that fit our family and has become our preferred hotel when staying in the area. Everyone has treated us kindly and with respect and they all have very helpful attitudes. This includes everyone from the Front Desk Clerks, Housekeeping, Maintenance, and up to the General Manager.
Our most recent stay included a couple of special requests that were handled quickly & happily.
You can really tell about a hotel's customer service when you run into something out of the ordinary. After a week of heavy rains, the first in a long time of drought, the pool turned a little green over the weekend. First thing Monday morning the General Manager, Colleen, approached individual breakfast tables during the yummy breakfast bar. She apologized to everyone for what had happened to the pool over the weekend and offered everyone passes to a local rec center while the pool condition was being corrected. This speaks volumes for the customer service at this particular hotel. The Manager's can-do attitude filters down to the employees and makes this hotel a class-act.
We will continue to make this hotel our preferred choice when visiting family/friends takes us back many times in the future.

1  Thank LittleBigMac
maddy0429, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Cleveland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at my property last month. I felt awful about the pool being closed and the least I could do was offer an alternate option for our guests. The guests who made use of our local recreation center loved it as it had an indoor pool with a slide and a lazy river which the kids enjoyed as well as an outdoor pool. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back as our guest in the near future. By the way our pool is open again and looks wonderful so thank you again for your understanding under such circumstances.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

We've stayed at this Residence Inn several times now because of the friendly staff, good breakfast & evening manager's reception and comfortable rooms. We generally prefer the older units to the newer ones because their HVAC units and refrigerators are quieter. Our first floor room was very close to the Gate House (a plus) but there happened to be several somewhat noisy air conditioning units on the other side of our bedroom wall ( a minus). On our next stay we'll make sure to ask for a quieter location. We appreciate being able to talk with the General Manager, Colleen as we were checking out. We are delighted that she is responding to Trip Advisor reviews as we suggested. She and her entire staff really care about their guests. We have noticed that with the smaller sized microwaves, it's almost impossible not to burn popcorn.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
maddy0429, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Cleveland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk with me on your way out of the hotel. I truly appreciated getting your feedback as the guest. We will certainly work to get you a quieter suite on your next visit as we certainly understand how important it is to get a good night's sleep while you are away from home. Please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will personally secure a suite for you. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Cleveland. Enjoy the rest of the Summer if I do not see you before then. Sincerely, Colleen Davis, General Manager

Reviewed July 15, 2012

When we were going to Chicago from NYC, my family and I needed a break so we stayed here. I couldn't be more pleased because this place was fabulous. There is free dinner Monday through Wednesday and it filled up my whole family. The front desk was really friendly. But most importantly the room was clean, the bathroom was also clean, the parking was free, and it had a full kitchen. Outside there is a pool and a basketball court that were both kept very nice. You don't have to bring a basketball, the front desk gives you one when you ask. For about $100 this place is the real deal. If I ever need to stay in this area again, I know where to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
maddy0429, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Cleveland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of some of the great socials we have during the week. We look forward to having you back as our guest should your travels return you to the Cleveland area. Thank you again for taking the time to send us your feedback. We greatly appreciate it.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

On the surface the place was clean, but going into the loft we found tootsie rolls on the motor of the ceiling fan. The bathroom ceiling had some strange orange stuff on the ceiling and when we used the pull-out bed, there was food behind it and the mattress had these strange flakes on it and a staple sticking out of it. I had to rent a second studio suite and that room was very clean. I'm just wondering if the cleaning staff is going through the rooms doing superficial cleaning. xp

The front desk staff was wonderful, I can't say enough good things about the. They were very friendly and accomodating. I wanted to purchase a Dr. Pepper but all they had was Diet Dr. Pepper. The manager offered to send someone to the store for me to buy one which I did not take them up on. I picked out some ice cream instead and they gave it to me for free since they were out of the pop I wanted. I thought that was super nice and totally unexpected.

Breakfast buffet was really good too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for bringing to our attention the cleanliness issues associated with the penthouse suite you stayed in. We take these concerns very seriously and we want to thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we may address these issues and ensure that they are corrected. I am thrilled to here that you enjoyed our breakfast. I actually spoke with you at the end of your stay when we were out of your favorite drink. I am happy you enjoyed the ice cream on us as this was the least I could do given that we were out of a product we should have had in stock. Thank you again for your understanding and for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

During the recent power outage in Ohio, we stayed a night at the Residence Inn here. Got a great rate, although strangely we were looking at the price online while talking to the reservation person on the phone who couldn't match it. Told us to make the reservation online 'cause they couldn't beat it. Okay. Whatever.

Kind of a beat up, old fashioned RI, showing signs of wear and tear. We had the 2br penthouse and the bathrooms are kind of sad, but hey, they had hot water and a/c which is more than we could say for our house. Breakfast was good but packed full of weekend sports enthusiasts, but there is fairly ample seating. Would certainly stay here again under the circumstances but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us while you were displaced from your home due to a power outage. I understand you were in one of our Penthouse suites and I apologize as we are awaiting a renovation and I certainly understand your concerns with the hotel showing some signs of age. I hope that you enjoyed your stay as our guest. I understand you visited us during the week of Continental Cup which was a big sports event in the area so it was definitely a full weekend and breakfast. Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We certainly want all of our guests to leave happy and with your feedback we can strive to be the best. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the future shuld the need arise.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

While traveling to an Indians game, I stayed at this lovely hotel. Staff was extremely friendly, check in was a breeze. Nice location, ample parking.
The 2 bedroom was clean & spacious. The pool was well kept. This is what I've come to except while staying at a Residence Inn..

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family