“not Halsted Greek restaurants or Taverna Opa”
Review of Gyro Palace

Gyro Palace
Ranked #18 of 93 Restaurants in Miamisburg
Cuisines: Greek
Centerville, Ohio
1,768 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 4,150 helpful votes
“not Halsted Greek restaurants or Taverna Opa”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Gryo Palace is a local Greek carry out near the Dayton Mall. On occasion my wife expresses an interest in Greek food. I am leaving the parking lot of Five Seasons and summon my CTS OnStar for directions to the “nearest Greek restaurant.” The OnStar advisor pronounces Gryo Palace as “Gear OOO” Palace. I am advised that Gryo Palace is eight miles or ten minutes. Locals know that traffic near 741 and 725 is heavy, and I want precise directions via OnStar to a location, which I have not previously visited.

OnStar determines that I-675, exit two, and west on 725. So far, so good. Then OnStar advises a north turn on 741 (not good.) I have called Gryo Palace the previous day for directions, and none of the employees have a clue as to cardinal directions, so I request a landmark. Gryo Palace responds with “Speedway.” I know that Gryo Palace is south on 741 and that I turn west into “Prestige Plaza.” From “Prestige Plaza,” I can easily get a visual on Gryo Palace.

We have been long-time fans of Greek meals. Since the 1960’s we have visited Chicago for regular business trips, and Halsted Street is filled with fun, festive, and enjoyable restaurants. I always tip the hotel concierge for a choice Greek restaurant on Halsted, and request the concierge to make the reservation. Halsted is a short cab trip, and following the dinner, we like to stroll on Halsted.

There are several other U.S. cities with “Greek towns,” and most recently we enjoy the festivities and Greek dinners served in Taverna Opa in City Place near our Marriott Palm Beach ocean front vacation villa.

Gryo Palace is not in the same league with Halsted Greek restaurants or Taverna Opa. Given the annual fall Greek festival, it seems that Dayton might support at least one Greek restaurant (Guess we shall try Tickets Pub and Eatery in Fairborn.)

I am on a scouting mission to Gryo Palace. I know it is best not to “surprise my wife” with this caliber of restaurant. Gryo Palace offers two small plain “dining rooms,” with both Greek and Christmas music playing concurrently. The menu is Greek from $3.00 hot dogs to $8.50 combo platters. The service is similar to Arby’s or MacDonald’s. Goto counter, order, pay, and collect the order when your number is called. Look for the self-service soft drink dispensers. There is no beer or wine. But there are plastic folks and spoons.

The menu offers gyros, falafel, soups, salads, and hummus (the printed menu spells hummus with both a “u” and an “o.” Baklava is available. I find the gyro to be extremely greasy. My plan was to sample an item and then to order carry our for my wife. I know she will not be attracted to Gryo Palace’s meals.

There are several inexpensive chain motels within walking distance, and Gryo Palace does deliver. Perhaps the chain motel’s clientele provide a market. The servers are friendly, and seem to be busy with take out calls. Bottom line, Gryo Palace is not a date night with your wife. Young, hungry guys who thrive on huge portions of fries and greasy food at a small cost will be pleased with Gryo Palace.

• Visited December 2012
6 Thank SavantIII_11

Jackson, Wyoming
“Something greek?”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The food here is wonderful. Ordered the beef kabob and it was delightful.

Visited July 2012
Tampa, Florida
“greek”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

great food and great service; close to the hotel and they would deliver.

Visited June 2012

Been to Gyro Palace? Share your experiences!