“TGIF Mentor - Not the Friday's I remember or enjoy!”
Review of TGI Friday's

TGI Friday's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 186 Restaurants in Mentor
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Cleveland, OH
“TGIF Mentor - Not the Friday's I remember or enjoy!”
Reviewed September 30, 2009

I have been a loyal Friday's customer for years. I've always enjoyed the fun atmosphere, good food and consistency whether I was eating in Minneapolis, Times Square in New York, Dallas, San Francisco or one of the many Friday's that are in airports across the land. So I was shocked when I took a friend to Friday's in Mentor, Ohio and had a horrible service experience. It was the first time I can ever remember walking out of a restaurant!!!

I love Friday's Jack Daniel's entrees... I rant and rave about how good the Jack Daniel's Boneless Chicken, Jack Daniel's Shrimp and the Jack Daniel's Chicken are to whoever will listen. My friend and I both decided to take advantage of the $5.00 Jack Daniel's sandwich offer. So we ordered and since I don't eat Pork or Mayo, I asked to have those two ingredients left off the sandwich.

The waitress finished taking our order and a few minutes later came back to our table. She said something to the effect that "I just wanted to let you know that your sandwiches will have Mayo on them because we can't make changes to specials. But, we will leave the bacon off." I couldn't believe what she was saying so I told her that I don't eat Mayo and told her that I would be willing to pay the regular price ($8.99) to have the sandwich without the Mayo.

She brought her manager, Christina, over to our table. The Manager basically told us the same thing as the waitress. When I suggested (again) that they could charge me more to have it without Mayo she said "we can't ring it up for more because it's in the computer for $5.00 and we can't make any changes to specials so it has to come with Mayo."

I said something to the effect that I could not believe that she would rather lose a customer than leave Mayo off of the sandwich." She would not budge. So I got up and did what I wish more people would do when they receive bad service... I looked at my friend and said, "let's go someplace else where we can get good food and good service."

On my way out, I asked for the Regional Manager and got the Manager's name. As I was walking to the car, I immediately called 1-800-FRIDAYS to express my frustration and concerns.

I know this may sound petty on the surface, however, the restaurant was not that busy and I've never had a problem with any other special request at Friday's in the past. With obesity on the rise in the US, I should be able to get a sandwich without Mayo, if I want it. Especially if I am willing to pay full price when something is on sale!

Also, in this economy where businesses are struggling to stay afloat and people are barely holding onto their jobs, I was shocked at the inflexibility of the waitress and the Manager's attitude and inflexibility. There are lots of other restaurants in the immediate area. On one hand, it's nice to see a company stand behind it's policies so strongly... but, at the expense of customers and a good reputation?

There is a Quaker Stake and Lube restaurant getting ready to open two driveways away from Friday's in Mentor. If my experience is representative of the quality of service the Mentor Friday's provides, Friday's is in for some stiff competition. Good luck!

I will eat at other Friday's, however, I doubt that I will go back to the Mentor Friday's unless there are some changes in the management team's outlook. Has anyone else had a similar experience at this Friday's or others? I'd love to know if this was just an isolated incident or not.

Happy eating!

2 Thank A1ServiceWithASmile

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good salads; weak mixed...”
Reviewed October 11, 2008

Good salads; weak mixed drinks

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Chain - Food and Prices...”
Reviewed December 29, 2007