WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor

Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Mentor
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Good above average hamton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Nice location, normal hampton amenities, newer hotel. Easy walking distance to casual dining, and movie theater. would rate it average to above for Hampton, which is a good thing. Bedding, flat screens all that one would expect for newer hampton hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jamminneapolis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton Inn while attending an event in Geneva, OH. The room was spacious, comfortable and very clean. The hotel itself was clean. The hotel provided breakfast beginning at 6:00 AM. There was a good selection which included eggs and waffles. Overall, we had a very good experience at this hotel and will probably be staying there again when we attend the event in Geneva.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Eastlake, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Spent the weekend here during some repairs to our house. We are local, so we know the area, which is great in terms of highway access, restaurants, etc. Only downside to the local is there are no grocery stores close, which made it tough to get my son's soymilk.

Hotel is very nice, very clean, very new. Rooms were nice, but was surprised that both rooms we were in did not have a refrigerator. We had to get a foam ice cooler for my son's soymilk and my daughter's expressed breastmilk.

One of the reasons we chose this hotel over some of the other ones in Mentor is because it had an indoor pool and hot tub. We loved the hot tub, but the swimming pool was so ice cold we couldn't use it. We tried getting in for a few minutes, but I couldn't stand to get in above my waist and my son's lips starting turning blue. I asked the front desk clerk if she could adjust the water temperature, but she said she could not.

The other big issue came with the front desk staff. We initially only had booked Friday night. After checking in and seeing how nice the hotel was, we decided to stay the whole weekend. I told the clerk at the front desk and she said she had extended my checkout until Monday and that we were all set.

The next morning, Saturday, we woke up to see a bill under our door that had a checkout date of that same morning. I went down to the front desk, and asked the same clerk to make sure we were indeed extended until Monday. She looked at the computer and said, "Uh-oh. I messed up, and someone else already has your room". Luckily they had other rooms available, so we were able to stay, but we had to pack up our entire room and move it, no easy task with three small children.

All was well again until the morning of checkout. When I first checked in, they authorized my credit card as usual. When I extended our stay, they said there was no need to reswipe my card, we could just settle up at checkout on Monday. They authorized an additional night on Sunday morning I was going to keep the amount they originally authorized on my credit card, and pay cash for the difference.

I awoke 2am on Monday to a knock at the door. There was a copy of our bill, showing a balance of $100, with a note to see the front desk before checkout. Checkout wasn't until 11, so no problem, going to get my kids to school, and will come back and settle up and get checked out. At the same time, the red message light starts blinking on the hotel phone, although when I picked up the phone, there were no messages.

After getting my kids to school, I ran a couple of quick errands and started heading back to the hotel. Then I get a call from my bank. The Hampton Inn had tried authorizing the $100 balance on my card literally 8 different times. There wasn't room left on the card because I was planning on paying cash for the balance at checkout. Being that they already had my card authorized for all but $100, there wasn't a need to go gorilla warrior on my credit card! The bank actually shut down my card for potential fraud because of all of the declined authorizations.

I know hotels require a credit card at check-in, but they always say you can pay any way you want at checkout. So why not wait until checkout to see how the customer wants to pay rather than freezing up my credit card?????? Nice hotel, but if this is how Hampton Inns treat their customers, I will not be back

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here for a family wedding which was taking place around the corner.

Quick, hassle free check in,
The room was a very good size, clean, modern & very comfortable with free WiFI.
Bathroom was again a good size with a excellent shower unit( the best I have encountered in any hotel).
Breakfast was complimentary & had a good variety.

No complaints what so ever, the owners are very hands on & make sure you have a good stay.

excellent hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

What a lovely hotel! Went to Mentor for a weekend of beach combing along Lake Erie. Our room was just beautiful. The location was perfect and the staff could not have been nicer. Great Breakfast included!!

Room Tip: KIng mini suite well worth the money!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were in town to see a minor league baseball game, and this hotel was very convenient for us. Nicely located in an area with a number of national chain restaurants. The facility seems fairly new, and the desk person was very competent. One problem we encountered was the handle on the bathroom door ... when trying to open it from the inside, the handle pulled off in my hand. When I mentioned it to the desk she said she was aware that this had been a problem in this room, but thought it had been fixed. I was concerned that someone would be in the bathroom and unable to open the door ... this did not happen. When I mentioned this to the manager the next morning she very kindly comped my room. Overall, this is a very nice place that we would choose again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Taunton, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

I do not agree with Hampton Inn's policies for payment. This hotel chain requires a credit card to rent a room at any of its hotels even if you don't come with a reservation and even if you're paying cash for the room. They will keep a hold on your card for 3 to 5 business days even after you've paid cash for the room apparently because they're too paranoid people will steal towels, blankets, ect.

I was already furious at this hotel before I even checked in. The lady at the front desk took 17 minutes to check in the man before me all because he wanted to switch to a smoking room. Unacceptable!!! Hotel and guest rooms are very clean but no HD TV, no mini frig, and no microwave in the standard 2 queen bed rooms.

Overall I have lost faith in the entire Hampton chain. A few years ago it was the only place I wanted to stay, now it's becoming the only place I don't want to stay

Room Tip: Stay at the Holiday Inn Express next door.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank A G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mentor
Residence Inn Cleveland Mentor
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Cleveland East - Mentor
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 5 in Painesville
Steele Mansion Inn & Gathering Hub
WoodSpring Suites Cleveland Mentor

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor? Share your experiences!