Spent the weekend here during some repairs to our house. We are local, so we know the area, which is great in terms of highway access, restaurants, etc. Only downside to the local is there are no grocery stores close, which made it tough to get my son's soymilk.
Hotel is very nice, very clean, very new. Rooms were nice, but was surprised that both rooms we were in did not have a refrigerator. We had to get a foam ice cooler for my son's soymilk and my daughter's expressed breastmilk.
One of the reasons we chose this hotel over some of the other ones in Mentor is because it had an indoor pool and hot tub. We loved the hot tub, but the swimming pool was so ice cold we couldn't use it. We tried getting in for a few minutes, but I couldn't stand to get in above my waist and my son's lips starting turning blue. I asked the front desk clerk if she could adjust the water temperature, but she said she could not.
The other big issue came with the front desk staff. We initially only had booked Friday night. After checking in and seeing how nice the hotel was, we decided to stay the whole weekend. I told the clerk at the front desk and she said she had extended my checkout until Monday and that we were all set.
The next morning, Saturday, we woke up to see a bill under our door that had a checkout date of that same morning. I went down to the front desk, and asked the same clerk to make sure we were indeed extended until Monday. She looked at the computer and said, "Uh-oh. I messed up, and someone else already has your room". Luckily they had other rooms available, so we were able to stay, but we had to pack up our entire room and move it, no easy task with three small children.
All was well again until the morning of checkout. When I first checked in, they authorized my credit card as usual. When I extended our stay, they said there was no need to reswipe my card, we could just settle up at checkout on Monday. They authorized an additional night on Sunday morning I was going to keep the amount they originally authorized on my credit card, and pay cash for the difference.
I awoke 2am on Monday to a knock at the door. There was a copy of our bill, showing a balance of $100, with a note to see the front desk before checkout. Checkout wasn't until 11, so no problem, going to get my kids to school, and will come back and settle up and get checked out. At the same time, the red message light starts blinking on the hotel phone, although when I picked up the phone, there were no messages.
After getting my kids to school, I ran a couple of quick errands and started heading back to the hotel. Then I get a call from my bank. The Hampton Inn had tried authorizing the $100 balance on my card literally 8 different times. There wasn't room left on the card because I was planning on paying cash for the balance at checkout. Being that they already had my card authorized for all but $100, there wasn't a need to go gorilla warrior on my credit card! The bank actually shut down my card for potential fraud because of all of the declined authorizations.
I know hotels require a credit card at check-in, but they always say you can pay any way you want at checkout. So why not wait until checkout to see how the customer wants to pay rather than freezing up my credit card?????? Nice hotel, but if this is how Hampton Inns treat their customers, I will not be back
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor is conveniently located just minutes from downtown Cleveland in the suburb of Mentor. In addition to the free hot breakfast, fresh Hampton Bed and free high speed internet in every room, our hotel proudly offers the 100% Hampton Guarantee on every stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor Hotel Mentor
- Hampton Inn And Suites Cleveland-Mentor
- Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor Ohio