“Thoughtful staff, and perfect for a longer visit.”

Super 8 Mentor/Cleveland Area
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Mentor
Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

Am very grateful to this Super 8. For a week+ stay in Mentor, OH, I couldn't ask for a more convenient location. It's right next to the highway which made for an easy 30 min drive Cleveland's University Circle for the art museum etc. In the local area, the location was perfect for visiting the Lake Erie beachparks and going south for the Holden Arboretum. There's a grocery store very close by so I was able to save on eating costs though this motel is basically on restaurant row... from Italian to subs to Bob Evans, take your pick.

The rooms are simple, clean, and I was very happy to have a great refrigerator/ microwave. Probably the best part is how nice the staff are, from owner to housekeeper. For example, I mentioned I had hoped to have an ironing board, and the housekeeper immediately started searching until she found me one!! So thoughtful. The late-night desk staff are so helpful, too, genuinely caring. For the price (great weekly rate), and the friendliness of the workers, this Super 8 was the best place I could have hoped for. Thank you to the staff for a great stay!!

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed October 5, 2011

I've been staying at the Mentor, Ohio Super 8 for over 20 years as an out of town visitor going to Cleveland Browns football games. The hotel is convineant and only 20 minutes from the stadium and there are several good places to eat or drink and most are within walking distance. The management is always friendly and helpful and has gone out of the way to help change reservations, sometimes at the last minute. To me staying at the Mentor Super 8 is like a tradition and I've always been satisfied with the service provided. If I could only say the same about the Browns...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Vinnie D
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Hi There...
We stayed at this unique mis-managed motel back in August---
They allow people to sleep on couches in the tiny lobby---It was most unreal to see grown men snoring as we checked out in the morning-- Actually quite scary---
-It is NOT FAMILY friendly --
Please be advised ..Do not stay here..
.the motel sits back in an area that isn't lit too well...
I shall not return -- ..............

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank bajpa
Daysreviewer, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Mentor/Cleveland Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

As the Front Desk Manager of the Super 8 in Mentor, Ohio who has been here for 8 years, I have to bring a few things to light in regards to this review. Upon just reading the review, i know exactly what day this guest stayed on, and this is because this day is now known legendarily here, as the craziest night we have ever experienced.

There was an event happening in Cleveland, which we are just outside of, called Roverfest. This brought so many people into town that all hotels in the area were booked solid with reservations made in advance, including us. This was Saturday August 13th.

All started out well, until all of the people who had reservations with us started showing up to the hotel highly intoxicated. On top of this, hoards of other young intoxicated people showed up looking for rooms to stay the night in. We were booked solid and had no rooms available, yet getting the intoxicated people to be on their way once they were told there were no rooms available (many of which who were dropped off in taxi cabs), proved to be a rather difficult task to say the least. We were stuck with an entire hotel full of young drunk concert goers, which we were not at all expecting nor prepared to handle. WE DO NOT IN ANY WAY CONDONE PATRONS SLEEPING ON OUR LOBBY FURNITURE. We had to contact the police several times that night to try and remove drunk people who just showed up and did not have rooms, and as well to handle other disturbances that they were causing all throughout the hotel. As a small hotel, we only have one person who runs the desk at a time. Had we had some way to anticipate the craziness that would ensue on this evening, we could have added more staff members for the first time in history. But such was not the case, and we did the best we possibly could to handle the situations that arose that night with help from local authorities. In 8 years in the business, we have never experienced a night as totally chaotic as that one.

It therefor should be noted here, in all fairness, that the night this guest was unlucky enough to stay with us on, was nothing at all of an example of how things normally are around here. It was not only the few guests who were actually sober and respectable patrons who were victims of terrible inconvenience this night, but all of the hotel workers in the area who had to somehow try and deal with the drunken and inexcusably unruly hoards.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

I have stayed at many Super 8's, but after this experience I am afraid to stay at one again. The first thing we saw was a dirty, broken air conditoner going upstairs to our room. The room we were given was "under construction" - with the walls half painted and no baseboards up. The corner of the room had a pile of dead bugs. Around the outer edge of the bathroom floor there was dust and hair. The bed felt like it had a metal edge around it, and once you got past that the bed was as hard as the floor. There was a microwave and refrigerator, but no coffee maker. The breakfast was very inadequate, with no dining room at all; just 2 small counters with a little bit of food and coffee. The worst thing was that they had rented to a lot of "young adults", who were drinking and partying all night. From midnight until 3:00 AM they were running up and down the halls screaming and banging on all the bedroom doors. In the morning we saw trash thrown in the hall, on the stairwell, and outside, including hundreds of beer bottles and cans. When we wnt down to get some food, kids were sleeping all over the lobby (at 9:00AM) making it impossible to even sit on the sofa to eat a little food. Some other guests had gotten their food, and then had to stand outside to eat it. We paid $80 for a room and service that was worth $25, and I wish I could get my money back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Florence H
Reviewed August 14, 2011

SUPER 8--- MENTOR OHIO...We stayed .....at the motel on The night of
AUG --13 2011.;the motel has seen better days..
we needed 2 beds and a shower.
.We had noticed ----beer cans in the parking lot and along the outside wall of the hotel there were also cans...papers....and beer bottles all over the corridors... there must have been many parties going on ...we heard ..running up and down the hallways ...doors slamming ..and . terrible swearing and yelling going on until after 3:00 am-
When we checked out in the morning ..I tried to explain the whole ordeal to the morning shift man -he didn't hear me at all -...he laughed and threw me the bill...........
definitely.......... ...--- I will Never stay here again...............

Room Tip: rooms have NO views
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Phylly M
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We recently were passing through PA and OH desperately looking for a place to stay after driving for 16 hours at 10:00 PM. All of the hotels seemingly within a 60 mile radius of Cleveland were booked and the room we found at the Super 8 was the only one available. The only room available was a room with two double beds to sleep four adults and the air conditioning was broken. They told us this prior to checking in so I don't blame them for that, at that point we would have been able to manage the tight, hot quarters provided we had a clean place to stay. However, this hotel was far from clean. It was downright dirty. We're not fancy people by any means and have readily stayed in other Super 8 locations around the country, but this one was downright depressing. The hallways had burned out lightbulbs, the carpets were dirty, and there was trash in the hallways and in the stairwells. The bathroom wasn't much better, with a dirty tub and such dim lighting that you needed a flashlight to even notice how filthy it truly was. The room itself was also shabby, missing the baseboards, exposed unpainted sections, cigarette burns in blankets, etc. We thoroughly checked for bedbugs half expecting to find a nest of them, but luckily we didn't find any. But since we only had a small flashlight to conduct the search with since the room was so dreadfully dim, I removed everything but the bottom sheet just for good measure. And for a non-smoking room, the room smelled an awful lot like a bowling alley. They did drop the rate though to around $50, but for the lack of sleep I received and the time I spent washing myself and all of my clothes once I made it back home, I feel as if they should have paid me $50 to fill their remaining room.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank DanMountainMan
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night while on a road trip to Tennessee.
Its not the Ritz, but it was a comfortable and clean place to stay for one night. The check-in was fast and friendly and the room was fine. Seemed a bit old and in need of some repair here and there, but it was clean.
There was a small continental breakfast available in the morning and we were set to go.
Mentor, OH is a delightful little town and we could have stayed a little longer!
So, all in all, it was cheap, convenient, and clean and just what we needed while on our road trip.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ottawa123499
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mentor
Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
WoodSpring Suites Cleveland Mentor
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 5 in Painesville
Holiday Inn Cleveland East - Mentor

Been to Super 8 Mentor/Cleveland Area? Share your experiences!