“A Last Ditch Nightmare” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Mentor
Schererville, IN
“A Last Ditch Nightmare”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

We recently were passing through PA and OH desperately looking for a place to stay after driving for 16 hours at 10:00 PM. All of the hotels seemingly within a 60 mile radius of Cleveland were booked and the room we found at the Super 8 was the only one available. The only room available was a room with two double beds to sleep four adults and the air conditioning was broken. They told us this prior to checking in so I don't blame them for that, at that point we would have been able to manage the tight, hot quarters provided we had a clean place to stay. However, this hotel was far from clean. It was downright dirty. We're not fancy people by any means and have readily stayed in other Super 8 locations around the country, but this one was downright depressing. The hallways had burned out lightbulbs, the carpets were dirty, and there was trash in the hallways and in the stairwells. The bathroom wasn't much better, with a dirty tub and such dim lighting that you needed a flashlight to even notice how filthy it truly was. The room itself was also shabby, missing the baseboards, exposed unpainted sections, cigarette burns in blankets, etc. We thoroughly checked for bedbugs half expecting to find a nest of them, but luckily we didn't find any. But since we only had a small flashlight to conduct the search with since the room was so dreadfully dim, I removed everything but the bottom sheet just for good measure. And for a non-smoking room, the room smelled an awful lot like a bowling alley. They did drop the rate though to around $50, but for the lack of sleep I received and the time I spent washing myself and all of my clothes once I made it back home, I feel as if they should have paid me $50 to fill their remaining room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank DanMountainMan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night while on a road trip to Tennessee.
Its not the Ritz, but it was a comfortable and clean place to stay for one night. The check-in was fast and friendly and the room was fine. Seemed a bit old and in need of some repair here and there, but it was clean.
There was a small continental breakfast available in the morning and we were set to go.
Mentor, OH is a delightful little town and we could have stayed a little longer!
So, all in all, it was cheap, convenient, and clean and just what we needed while on our road trip.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ottawa123499
Ft. Wayne, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

I was a little nervous when I saw this had some bad reviews, but I also noticed they were older ones. When I'm traveling, my priorities are to find a clean room with a comfortable bed and this hotel fits the bill. If you're someone looking for the Ritz, or if you're really fussy people, you may want to move on. The linens have seen better days, but they were clean and we had a good nights sleep. We were on the second floor and there is no elevator, so if you can't schlep your suitcases up a flight of stairs you may want to make sure a room is available on the ground floor. The continental breakfast is pretty sparse and there's no room to eat it in, so we brought it back to the room and were on our way in no time.
My friend left her toiletries bag in the bathroom, and they were kind enough to hold it for her at the front desk and we stopped to pick it up on the way back from our long weekend.
This hotel was a good value. A clean and comfortable room that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 1963corvette
Grimsby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

I want to thank the staff and management of the Super 8 Mentor. Twice in week we stayed at this hotel and we were treated geat. We had to stay 2 nights (3 rooms) on the weekend of Sep 4-5 then again 6 rooms on Sep 9-11. They were completely accomodating by getting all our rooms close together. The rooms were clean and affordably priced. We had a little problem with our room air conditioner one night but they quickly moved us to another room right away. Thank you so much, you made a difficult time for my wife and all our family much more tolerable.
We will always stay at the Super 8 for future visits to Mentor.
E Pogoda
Grimsby On.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank edpo
Daysreviewer, Manager at Super 8 Mentor/Cleveland Area, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff works hard to make all of our guests feel as at home as possible, and to accommodate you and your personal needs to the fullest extent. It is our goal to have all of our guests leaving with the feeling that they received great service for a great rate.
We look forward to having you as our guests in the future.

The staff at Super 8 in Mentor, OH
Mentor
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

I woke up with at least 40 to 50 bites all over my body. I was in room 117. They refused to refund any money so I demanded to be moved to another room.

Both rooms were very dirty. I kept my socks on while walking on the carpeting. The towels and wash clothes were like old rags.

Inexpensive, but still not worth it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank jack2180
Daysreviewer, Manager at Super 8 Mentor/Cleveland Area, responded to this review, January 21, 2010
Thank you for your review of our property, we do want all reading to know that we have an insect prevention program in place with Orkin before the guest responded.
This guests concerns were reviewed by our management team as well as Orkin and no cause was found for this concern.
Orkin is continuing with its program to protect our property from this type of concern.
Columbus
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

stayed here for work with a group. Out of four of us, two rooms had bedbugs. I wasn't sure if it was an allergy because I have never encountered bedbugs, UNTIL I saw a bed bug all fat and red from eating me alive walking across the blanket of my bed. I called all of my coworkers to look at it and they all confirmed that it was indeed a bedbug. When I told the front desk, they only offered to move me to a different room. I was shocked at that lack of concern!! Don't stay here unless you want to wake up with welts and bites, have to throw away your suitcase for fear of bed bug hitchhikers, and find a dryer asap to try to kill any bugs that might be in your clothes.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank rachaelalicia
Salt Lake City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

We stayed at four Super 8 hotels on our trip. This was the most expensive Super 8 and our least favorite. The room was clean enough but the decor needed to be updated. The bed wasn't that comfortable. We did find a flying beetle type bug on the bed, but I think it just managed to get into the room. I don't think the hotel is at fault for that. The room did have a very strong smell of cleaning solution and we wondered what they were trying to cover up. In the breakfast area there are only two tables with two chairs at each table. That is not enough seating for a hotel that size! I like Super 8 for the most part, but at this one, we probably won't stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank neh11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mentor
Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby
Holiday Inn Cleveland East - Mentor
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 5 in Painesville
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor
Residence Inn Cleveland Mentor

Been to Super 8 Mentor/Cleveland Area? Share your experiences!