“Super Clean and more.”

Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center)
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Mentor
Reviewed November 12, 2013

So, I have heard some bad things about this location. I don't understand why. The hotel was exceptionally clean, the front desk was VERY informative on the discounted cocktails and appetizers they offer for a couple hours mid afternoon. The pool was clean and the breakfast area was clean. We stayed because of a charity event at LaMalfa and so glad we did. The female at the front desk explained they hold $100 on CC for incidentals or damage but it is dropped when billed. She was very upfront about that which is nice. Many hotels hide that they do that unless you ask. She was right, I checked CC 2 days after and it isn't there. I recommend this place and will stay here again if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KIOhioGuy
GMLaMalfa, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center), responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We understand that the comments are based on guest perception and when the hotel cannot accommodate a request due to policy or IHG safety and security a guest can perceive us as being difficult. We are very excited that you enjoyed your stay with us and would welcome the opportunity to WOW you again on your next visit with us.

Debora M. Neath

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed here for a brief time before, but this trip I was here for almost 4 weeks and the hotel has so many perks, it was the best choice hands down. Fresh cookies, in the evening, happy hour with Dan, fresh fruit at the check in desk, hot breakfast every morning, indoor heated pool and gym.... just like a luxury hotel, but at a budget price.

Room Tip: They do have extended stay rooms available but only with a small fridge and they do not have an in r...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and Tripadvisor readers everywhere. We are so glad that you enjoyed the "perks" our hotel and conference center offered you during your stay. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have stayed at the LaMalfa Holiday Inn Express several times as my company Headquarters is nearby. The general manager, Mrs Neath and her staff have always been extremely courteous and have bent over backwards to assist me in any way they can. The hotel is extremely nice and they often have weddings in the adjacent banquet halls. Despite weddings in progress during many of my stays, there has never been any issues or problems. The staff has been extremely accommodating, and I can't begin to tell you how nice their premium rooms are! I have been fortunate to stay in rooms where there are multiple flat panel televisions, conference tables, fireplaces, hot tubs, and a European bathroom! The hotel is always insuring that the grounds are clean outside and the inside is always clean, fresh, and inviting. If you have any reason to stay in the Cleveland/Mentor area of Ohio, there is no place else to look! I give them 5 stars only because there aren't six! Believe me, I don't give ratings like this out lightly. I am very particular, but when a hotel delivers like this one does, I give them a very emphatic, "THUMBS UP"!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ray C

Thank you so much for taking the time to express your experience with us during your recent stay. Comments always enforce morale as well as work ethics and our staff takes guest comments very seriously. The staff is pleased that they were able to exceed your expectations and make your feel comfortable. Our penthouses are very spacious and we do choose an upgrade of the day to try and make someone's day a little brighter, from the sound of your letter we did just that!

We hope to have you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I've stayed at numerous Holiday Inn Expresses and none, I repeat none, has the service, comforts, and hospitality as Lamalfa's Holiday Inn Express located in Mentor, Ohio. You'll not have to eat your breakfast on Styrofoam plates and bowls, nor eat with plastic utensils. Porcelain and metal utensils are the norm at this location. The rooms are spotless as the hallways and outside grounds. The hotel is within walking distance to several restaurants and bars. The staff always greats you with a smile and exemplifies courtesy throughout ones stay. Another plus is the adjoining conference center offers a hostility reception in the evenings for the hotel guests. The appetizers are very tasty and the adult beverages are sold at a price level that transports you back a few years. When in the Cleveland area you must stay at this location.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
GMLaMalfa, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center), responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We appreciate you taking the time to let us and other travelers know of your experience while staying with us. Not all hotels have the ability to provide you with porcelain,glass and silverware. Being attached to A 60,000 sq.ft convention center with a full kitchen helps but, fear not. IHG has heard your pleas for more stable cutlery and tableware and I believe they have begun steps in surveying hotels as to what they are using in the breakfast area. We are glad you had a chance to enjoy the welcome reception sponsored by LaMalfa Center. LaMalfa Center has top chefs and pastry chefs on staff which is why their wedding venues are at the top of the catering industry in North East Ohio. Our housekeeping staff takes pride in their work and are consistent in their efforts in providing you , our guest with clean and comfortable accommodations.

We know that you have a lodging choice and hope that you will continue to use IHG branded properties in the future.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I do a lot of traveling both with business and with my family and I can tell you that my recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites in Mentor was exceptional! From the moment that we walked into the door were were greeted with the utmost respect and courtesy. The front desk staff seemed to bend over backwards to help us and make us feel welcomed.Their concern for our needs and their professionalism was refreshing. During my stay I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to most of the front desk people, especially the GM Debora. I can only say that she is one of a kind and if I could I would steal her away to run my own business. She is pleasant, attentive, and professional. She and her staff, especially Alexandra, Gary and Tairi, met and exceeded our expectations of customer service. As for the hotel itself, we found it clean and comfortable. The housekeeping staff should be commended for how nice they keep it. Our room was spacious and way more than we expected out of an Express hotel. Everything about our stay was wonderful and more than we could have hoped for. The biggest pluses for this hotel: The General manger, The front desk staff & their customer service, and the overall cleanliness of the hotel itself. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and I can assure you I will stop and stay there any time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: I would say any room you get is a good one. I always prefer the club floor myself. All you have to d...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
GMLaMalfa, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center), responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. The staff and management appreciates when a guest notices the extra touches we provide along with the customer service we deliver. We understand that your experience as well as other guest's stays are based on guest perception and while we may not please all of the guests who stay with us, we do make it a goal to meet or exceed your expectations during your stay with us. Thank you for noticing the staff members who made your stay enjoyable, they will appreciate reading your comments.

We know that you have a lodging choice and hope that you will continue to choose IHG brand properties in the future. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I was married on September 1, at the Lamalfa Party Center attached to this hotel. I cannot say enough great things about my event. My banquet staff and how everything went was flawless. Being that the family both owns the hotel and the party center you would think that you would have the same experience at the hotel. that was the furthest thing from the truth.

From the moment we set up our group block we had nothing but poor customer service, lack of response and attitudes from everyone we encountered. My husband and I both come from the hospitality industry, our standards may be higher but we also understand mistakes happen. the general manager, Deborah was one of the worst managers I have ever encountered. She would not respond to emails or messages left and when she did respond her answer typically didn't involve making sure the guest was first priority. My husband and I were trying to get our group block information so that we can prepare welcome baskets and to make sure our room count was still open so that guests didn't have any issues. It took multiple calls and emails to even get a response. When she did respond, she didn't even answer what we needed (and blamed that the staff didn't give her the message appropriately). We were looking for a rooming list to be emailed, simple enough. Apparently not, answer was I can't email it but I will mail it. We got the list and most of the first names were cut off so you could barely tell who booked. If we hadn't been in the industry before and knew how to read the list we would have no clue. How hard would it have really been to type a quick email with the information .

Our wedding ceremony started at 4, coincidentally when check in time was. We understood they were sold out the night before, but when asking even to get a few rooms ready for check in at 3:30 the response was can't guarantee anything and your guests will have to call earlier that day to see if they are ready, AND even if they are ready they are first come first serve so if someone else would check in before our guests would have been screwed. I understand turning rooms is time consuming but they only were selling 32 rooms the night of our wedding and the least she could have said was that we can't guarantee but it shouldn't be an issue No sense of reassurance that our guests would have no challenges. Fortunately all our guests were able to check in early, but a lot very upset that they even had to worry about it.

Service from check in was less than average but to be expected at that point since it is pretty standard if your management doesn't seem to care or worry about customer service, generally your employees won't either. I have to say the housekeeping staff were extremely friendly during interactions, only staff at your hotel that actually seems to care about customer service.

What really made this experience horrible was the day of checkout. Our wonderful banquet captains from our wedding confirmed we could keep our belongings in the bridal suites in the party center for the night and get the next morning. We woke up realized we needed our shoes as we only had our shoes from our wedding. We went down to the front desk and interacted with your employee who was just as rude as your GM. We noticed the door was locked to the party center, asked the front desk and she quickly said you aren't getting in there today. My husband made it clear that we were told we could get inthere and our stuff, including our CAR KEYS, were in the room. He stated she needs to speak to her manager. Her reply was "my manager is on the phone right now and she said you can't get in there." So our suggestion was you need to call Mr. Lamalfa then because we need our stuff. She got very defensive and when my husband commented that the party center and hotel have the same owner she quickly said he was wrong since the brothers owned one and father the other. IT DOESN'T MATTER, you shouldn't argue with a guest. Her attitude was completely out of line. I understand not her fault, but part of customer service is empathy and helping to fix mistakes. Not their fault we were told we can keep our stuff there but not OUR FAULT either. We went to breakfast which again another crabby and miserable employee working at. Food kept running out, and that happens but when you let the attendant know the silverware is out or other things the attitude is not something you should get back.

After spending about an hour at breakfast we decided to get our stuff out of our room so that we can add the stuff from the bridal suites to the cart and load all at once. At this point we figured they would have gotten it straightened out and she would have a key to let us in. NOT THE CASE. She said Mr. Lamalfa said we needed to come back tomorrow. How is that supposed to happen if our CAR KEYS are in there? We shouldn't be inconvenienced because we were told we could leave our stuff, plus we were leaving on our honeymoon early the next morning. It took us threatening to call the police for Mr. Lamalfa to finally come and open it up. Did I also mention during this whole thing I am standing there holding my wedding dress on the day after my wedding. What a thing to have to remember. When Mr. Lamalfa came he apologized but made sure to take any blame off the hotel. Our banquet captains were amazing and while they may have forgotten since the next day was the holiday that it would be closed they were trying to make our night wonderful. It wasn't the hotels fault that the issue happened but we wouldn't have been upset if the employee, the manager and the owner actually seemed to care about fixing the mistake. Instead we bothered them.

You definitely need to work on the customer service and would highly suggest starting off by firing your GM and retraining your employees. It seems like everyone there hates their job . If you didn't have such great events at the party center your hotel would go out of business. Learn about taking care of your customers or get out of the business all together!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank tiffjear
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center), responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear tiffjear,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were traveling on 90 to Chicago from Boston. We had trouble getting a room on 90, no rooms or very high price.
I booked this hotel the night before and got the last room left. It was 3 miles north of 90 but route 2 took us west.
They upgraded us to a suite. Kitchen, living room and a huge bedroom.
This hotels is very clean. This room overlooked the pool and the kids made noise but, they were having fun. After 10:00 p.m. all was quiet and we had a good nights sleep.
Restaurants are next door you could walk to them. Lake Erie is just down the street after dinner we went and walked the lake.
I would book in advance if traveling on 90.
We liked this hotel so much, we said we like to come back and spend a few days in the area

Room Tip: Ask not to be near the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne D
GMLaMalfa, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center), responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

I am so glad we were able to accommodate you on your journey. I see you had the opportunity to take advantage of one of our Penthouses with a jacuzzi. These feature rooms are spacious and luxurious and we are glad that we could upgrade you to enjoy the suite during your stay with us. Our Hotel takes the 10:00 quiet policy seriously. We know that all guests are not here to celebrate a wedding or attend one of the many fundraising events LaMalfa Center host's. Our goal is to create an atmosphere that all guest can feel comfortable and relaxed in.

Debora M. Neath

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mentor
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Cleveland East - Mentor
Residence Inn Cleveland Mentor
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 5 in Painesville
WoodSpring Suites Cleveland Mentor

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center)? Share your experiences!