“Can't wait to go back.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center)

Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center)
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Mentor
Pittsburgh
“Can't wait to go back.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2008

Very nice hotel in a super convenient location. Beach and restaurants are close by. Room was clean, breakfast was great and the pool was nice. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

This was a great place to stay. Nice & clean! We had 5 people and they accomidated us great. Pool was clean. Best place that we stayed on our week cross country tour. We would stay hear again and again

• Disliked — No hot tub
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Glendale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2007

Stayed here for two nights and was very satisfied. The bed was very comfortable with two soft and two firm pillows to choose from. The room was very nice with a nice sitting area. There was a free breakfast every morning that had eggs, waffles, muffins, fruits and variety of drinks. Very happy with my stay here and recommend it to everyone. Also, went to the pool (indoor), the water was wonderful temperature with depth from 3-5 feet.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed two nights, in different rooms (he was there on business that wasn't concluded in a day, as planned, so we checked in again). The second room was nicer than the first, though neither were anything to write home about. They were a bit worn in terms of the walls being beat up a bit, and we also struggled with the heat situation (mentioned by previous reviewer); but the staff were friendly enough (we didn't have that much contact), the beds and bedding were nice and new, the pool looked good (though we didn't avail ourselves of it) and it was, all in all, fairly clean and tidy. The cinnamon rolls really are delicious. I don't even like cinnamon rolls and I was tempted to take two. I wouldn't run back to stay here again, but I wouldn't cry if I had to either.

• Liked — cinnamon rolls
  • Disliked — hvac unit
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank hellokitty17
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2006

This place is more than decent for a three star rating (should be at least a 3 ½). Nicely decorated common areas, computer access, Pools (indoor and outdoor) and fitness center. If it was not brand new then it looked to be recently updated. I had a King executive suite on the third floor. The furnishings were in great condition; the place was spotless and supplied with iron and board, coffee maker, hair dryer, toiletries, etc, and free breakfast and newspaper in the morning. My only complaint would be that the heating does not appear to have a thermostat so; you have to turn off and turn on the heat yourself. Overall extremely happy I chose this place for my short stay. And for all that is available the price is right also!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — HVAC unit
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
Tallahassee, Floirda
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for my brother's wedding - I was in the wedding party and while we were taking pictures I had my wife check in with our three children. Since the wedding was at 1:30 and the reception was at 6:30 my kids were obviously hungry after the wedding had ended. Since there were no other places to eat in the hotel itself my wife had my sister-in-law (my oldest brother was also in the wedding party) watch my kids with her two at the pool while my wife and nephew went next door to a McDonald's to get the kids a snack to hold them over until the reception. She checked and saw no signs that stated that food or drink was not allowed in the pool area. Upon returning she realized that she had forgotten her key to get back in to the indoor pool that requires key access; so my sister-in-law had to let them in.

A few minutes later someone (no nametag and did not introduce himself) came in and told her that the front desk had received reports of someone letting in a gang of kids to the pool area...(my wife and nephew). He then began to interrogate my wife as to who she was and what she was doing there. My wife explained that she had just checked in and was with one of the three wedding parties that were there that night. This didn't seem to satisfy him since he kept pushing as to my wife's identity. It wasn't until he realized he had made a mistake that he then told her that she had to leave the pool because there was no food allowed. My wife apologized but mentioned that she did not see a sign stating this so she thought it was okay. This "gentleman" never did apologize. After my wife had gotten my kids settled in the room after this she went to the front desk to speak with a manager and was told that one was not present in the hotel...prime check-in time with three weddings that night. She explained to the clerks what had happened and they had no knowledge of the incident nor to the identity of the "person" who confronted them. I've known my wife for over 19 years and I know she would not have made a big deal out of this and made it a point to tell me of this incident if the hotel employee who confronted her would have acted professionally, approached her as a guest first...and would have apologized once the mistake was realized.

That night we received a message on our room phone from the owner/operator Mike LaMalfa that he was aware of the situation, he was with the employee at the time (both sister-and-law and my wife swear that the "gentleman" who confronted them was alone) and backed his actions 100% because of the security concerns with their pool area they've had in the past (my wife's problem?). STILL NO APOLOGY! The next morning when we listened to this message and after I had realized that it was an INDOOR pool with key access required to enter (something I wasn't aware of the night before) I immediately went down to the front desk to demand to speak with a manager or Mike LaMalfa himself concerning the treatment my wife and kids had received. I was told that there was not a manager present (prime check-out time with three weddings the night before...noticing a pattern here?). One of the desk clerks happened to be speaking with Mike LaMalfa so I told her that I wanted to speak with him, she refused and mentioned that he was coming in. I demanded that when he arrived that he come up to our room and personally apologize to my wife and kids for his hotel treating them like vagrants off the street.

About 10 minutes later we received a call in our room. I picked up, said hello and I heard, "this is Mike LaMalfa, do you have a problem?" I then said, "this is how you address a guest who you've treated this way?" he then said and I quote, "get out of my hotel or I'm calling the police." I was floored and blown away by this egotistical, pompous behavior and immediately went down to the front desk for "Mr." LaMalfa to explain himself. By the time I got down there he was all ready calling the police...AMAZING! Of course, I had a few nice words that I exchanged with "Mr." Lamalfa prior to my wife having packed us up and was heading out the door with our kids. I yelled to "Mr." LaMalfa, "at least be man enough to come out and meet the vagrants personally."

The Holiday Inn Express in Mentor seems to handle their guest issues with the philosophy that the owner/staff are always right and if that philosophy fails then Mentor's finest is called to the scene. I have written and called Guest Relations with Intercontinental Hotel Group to no avail...no response. I WAS a Priority Club member and have told them that I will never stay at one of their hotels ever again since it seems they endorse the actions of this hotel and have told them that I am now committed to spread the word of my experience...so here I am. :-)

• Liked — Decent rooms
  • Disliked — Staff was terribly rude.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from this hotel - if your there for a wedding - there are plenty of other hotels in the direct vicinity.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank caito34
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2005

We stayed for two nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Mentor for a friend's wedding (held at the adjacent LaMalfa Center). The hotel is in walking distance of several restaurants and a movie theater. It is not far from a state park with a beach. The hotel staff were generally friendly, and the rooms were fine, but nothing special. We expected our room to at least have a refrigerator, as it was listed as a "suite", but it didn't, so that was disappointing. Our room was not very big, and the bathroom was especially small--it was actually difficult to open the bathroom door to get out. The complimentary breakfast was not bad. The indoor pool looked nice, but we didn't go in. There is no outdoor pool, and another guest informed us that most of the equipment in the fitness center was broken.

All in all, the Holiday Inn Express is not a bad hotel, especially considering that there's not much else around.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank travelsuze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mentor
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor
Residence Inn Cleveland Mentor
Holiday Inn Cleveland East - Mentor
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 5 in Painesville
WoodSpring Suites Cleveland Mentor

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center)? Share your experiences!