During Hurricane Sandy's swing through northern Ohio, we were without power and decided to head to our local HI Express while we figured out how to deal with next few days. Many in our locale had the same idea but we were able to reserve a 2-Queen suite for 2 nights. We were exhausted from 24 hours without power. All we wanted was a relaxing night to decide what to do if the power was out a long time. My husband and I met at our house after work, packed a few things by flashlight and with our son headed only a mile away to this hotel. When I made the reservation I told the agent I did not have my husband's Priority Club number but was assured they could look it up when we got there. Unfortunately, customer service does not seem to be a priority at this hotel. Standing at check-in, the clerk declined to look up my husband's club number. He proceeded to rifle through his suit case and found a receipt from a previous HI stay with his number on it. Finally checked in, I jokingly said, "No goodies for Priority Club members?" At EVERY OTHER HI Express we have stayed in in the last few years we have been offered at least a snack and drink on check in. This clerk said, you can have a couple of bottles of water, and she proceeded to hand us two very tiny bottles of water and invited us to partake of the cash bar going on behind us. Gee thanks.
This hotel does not have an attached restaurant but there are many nearby. One LARGE caution though - you can see many restaurants from the hotel parking lot but I guess there must be a feud going on between the hotel management and surrounding properties because there is NO connecting road to the road where the restaurants are. You must exit the hotel property and go down another road to get to all the food. On a very busy road, with no light at the hotel exit.
We had dinner then returned to the hotel hoping to relax in the hotel pool. This was something we had promised our son also. We go to the pool, no towels! They keep the towels at the check-in desk, a very looooonng way from the pool. The pool area was warm, the water was cold. Another fail.
Returned to the room hoping to get some coffee and snacks. There is a very large vending area near the pool. There was some coffee in the room. However, I am a tea drinker. In every other HI Express I have stayed in this year the breakfast area was open 24-7 for coffee, tea and hot water. Not here, it was locked up tight. No coffee in the lobby either. No tea to be found.
Our room had a kitchenette, no glasses, dishes or utensils.
We were in a 2 room suite. Room 1 was a living area with a TV. Room 2 contained 2 queen beds with a TV. Would have been better if the beds were in the separate areas. Also, the bathroom was tiny and the sink was OUTSIDE the bathroom in the room, not divided in any way from the sleeping area. That meant the next morning when my husband had to get up earlier than my son and I, we all had to wake up too so he could turn on the light to shave. A very weird room arrangement.
Unfortunately, when choosing a hotel in Mentor, this is your best choice as far a cleanliness and safety. But don't expect good customer service, even if you are a Priority Club Member.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay Smart at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites LaMalfa. This unique property provides the finest personal service and facilities throughout Northeast Ohio. The atmosphere is warm and relaxed and the ambiance embraces the uniqueness of the European decor throughout the eighty-three all suite facility including Executive Suites, Penthouse and Presidential Suites. Wireless and Ethernet are available throughout the hotel as well as the 60,000 sq. ft. banquet and convention facility. Come enjoy a fireside, hot Continental breakfast in our expanded breakfast area complete with a view of our 25'x52' lap pool with under water lighting and fountains. Located in the corporate hub of Mentor, Ohioand the home of corporate headquarters to Steris, Avery Dennison, First Energy and Rollkraft makes this hotel the number one choice for business travelers. Located just minutes from downtown Cleveland guest can enjoy the excitement of big city entertainment with near by Cleveland Indians, Cavs and Browns, Rock Hall of Fame, House of Blues and Lake County Captains.Local attractions include Mentor Civic Arena, James A. Garfield's Home, Lake Farm Parks, and Kirtland Mormon Temple. Transportation is available upon advance request, contact the hotel directly for arrangements and pricing. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites at LaMalfa is a completely smoke free facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Priceline, Hotwire and Orbitz so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center) Hotel Mentor
- Holiday Inn Mentor
- Mentor Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Mentor (Lamalfa Conference Center) Ohio