“Nice Spot ... But after a day driving , quieter would be better.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Brown Derby

Brown Derby
Ranked #5 of 132 Restaurants in Medina
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
St. Catharines, Canada
“Nice Spot ... But after a day driving , quieter would be better.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stopped on a Sunday in early Feb in while passing through so review based on first impression only.

Place is located in close proximity to the Hampton Inn and close to the highway.

Parking lot was reasonably full at about 6:30pm with sufficient parking. My first impression upon opening the door was the din of china, cutlery, conversation and children. If I had not been with others I would have found another spot as after a day of driving, noise is not what I needed.

The interior is nicely decorated in style consistent with its name but the high ceiling is unfinished except for paint and this I believe enhances the noise level. The tables are reasonably spaced so claustrophobia for those who suffer should not be concern. In the cold weather I would recommend further in and away from the front door to avoid the breeze when both door are open simultaneously.

Serving staff was friendly and prompt from entering, to service, and the inevitable bill presentation.

Our party had the steak and fish and both were very nice. The steak was a bit seasoned for my taste but certainly nothing that that would detract from the quality, just my preference. Side plates were ordered and they were of a generous size so sharing is an option.

I would return for the food ... but the noise would turn me elsewhere. If establishment can reduce noise level in factors they can influence it would enhance the atmosphere a notch or two higher.

• Visited February 2014

Petoskey, Michigan
“Give and Take”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

I had the pulled pork dinner with mashed potatoes, string beans and (I think) onion ring bites..didn't eat many. I thought my dinner was great. My wife got the same thing except with beef instead of pork and hated it, I'd give it a 5, she'd give it a 1 so it got a 3

Visited January 2014
Medina, OH
“Great place for dinner!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

This Brown Derby is right around the corner for us. The menu is varied so has a lot to offer the many different tastebuds in our family. It's our "go to" place for family dinners. Service is always good. The bar is a fun place to waste a night away. Good wine selection. They do a great job with the seafood.

• Visited January 2014
woodstock, ga
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“JUST ONE PROBLEM,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

And that would be, there is not a Brown Derby near me. This review is a little late in coming, but I had to write it. We were visiting in the Cleveland area and all agreed we wanted to try here. I was so glad we did. I remember the old Brown Derby and never thought this would approach them. There were four in our party. Every one got a steak. Each one a different kind. All reported them good. I know mine was. The salad bowl was good, not exceptional, but who cares? I got the large Grog drink, which some say is big enough for two. I choose to drink it by myself. It was garnished with lots of fruit and delicious.
They have a odd way of seating. That night was the local Homecoming, so maybe that made things a little more hectic than usual. Again, if the food is good, and it was, the service was also good, who cares? I can not wait to visit the area again. I will definitely go back, at lease once, on our next trip.

• Visited October 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“May not return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

After having more than a few successful personal and business dinners at this Girves location, I ended my once in a long while date night with my husband less than satisfied.
I really like the atmosphere (decor) of this place. One of the reasons why I return. However, the music selection stinks. It's a loud place so the last thing I want to hear is even louder rock music over the already loud conversation. Perhaps a lighter type of dining music would be more appropriate.
We had 7:00 reservations on a Friday night. We arrived very early, 6:20. The place was pretty empty, yet we were told we had to wait for our table to open. We went to a bar and spent $20 on a Moscow Mule concocted in the right type of barware but with really bad vodka, and a glass of Malbec, which was served way too warm. Finally, 40 minutes later, we were escorted to our table, which was right by the entrance. Yuck. Terrible location. We should have eaten at the bar.
Terrible service, or should I say non-existant service that evening. We waited a very long time before being acknowledged by anyone other than the girl who sat us. We noted that our waitress only had out table in the section and the rest of her tables were elsewhere, perhaps why she never returned to check on us but once.
My t-bone, ordered med rare, was more on the medium side, tough, overcooked. Tasty, though. Sweet potato was wonderful. House salad drowning in really good dressing but too much for my liking. Ask for dressing on the side. My husband's strip could barely be cut it was so grisly. We told the waitress but I don't think she really cared. She was young, inexperienced.

The manager walked by and asked how we were doing and I told him I was disappointed with my t-bone and my husband's steak was tough. Plus he would have loved some steak sauce but nobody ever came back to check on us before that. The manager offered to make us new steaks. Really, that is not what I wanted after already eating most of my meal. He brought me another glass of wine and kept asking my husband if he wanted another beer, even after my husband told him he had to drive. Finally we settled on comp dessert, which was the best dish to come out of the kitchen, chocolate creme brulee. I may go back just for that sweet thing. But most likely not.

I think if we want a nice steak there are better places in the area anymore. What started out as a higher class version of the Brown Derby restaurants has now seemed to fall in line with the Road Houses, just priced higher.

• Visited January 2014

Been to Brown Derby? Share your experiences!