“lovely restored Victorian with really good food”
Review of Corkscrew Saloon

Corkscrew Saloon
Ranked #8 of 132 Restaurants in Medina
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Indialantic, FL
“lovely restored Victorian with really good food”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Have had lunch and dinner- kudos all around. Good job with fish, pasta and beef entrees, and nice to have sandwich choices along with regular dinners to choose from. Really great wait staff; upscale casual atmosphere. They turned an industrial outdoor view into a lovely private water- feature patio for outdoor dining

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank ACL53

“Everything about this place is GREAT!!!”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Wow you most try this wonderful place! Best food in town and great people. Go go go you will love it!

1 Thank daveschindy
Ohio, United States
“Solid Food, NIce Atmosphere”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We stopped in on a Friday evening, around 6pm, without reservations. We were seated quickly, in a small room with high top tables. Strangely, there was a very large TV on the entire time that no one was watching. It should have been turned off as it didn't really fit in the intimateness of the room. But, everything was nice, and as expected. We had decided on going because we read a review in the local newspaper and there was some bragging of a large variety of craft beers.

We looked at the drink menu, and I was instantly frustrated. I hate when restaurants refuse to put prices on their drink menus. Is this martini $11 or $6? No clue.

Also, the "large" craft brew menu was very disappointing. There was a list but it had things like "Dog Fish Head" and "seasonal pumpkin", and again, no prices. Dog Fish Head has dozens of beers, and there are hundreds of seasonal pumpkin beers. I asked the waitress if there was an up-to-date beer menu or if she could tell me what's available, and she was unable to do either, just noting that they usually have a few different beers from Great Lakes. This was so frustrating, we didn't even order beer.

So, for drinks, my wife ordered Sangria and I ordered a Beefeaters Martini, Extra Dry, Up, with Blue Cheese Olives on the side. My wife's Sangria was very sweet - too sweet. I think it was cut too much with fruit juice. Not the greatest. My martini was good, but had too much melted ice in it, and definitely not extra dry. Drinks were $8 and $7 which was fine in my opinion for the martini, but that Sangria was not worth $7, maybe $5.

We passed on appetizers, as it was an early dinner, and we knew we'd be getting salads. The appetizer menu looked really good though.

Dinner specials sounded good, but we ordered from the menu. My wife got the Wild Mushroom Cappellini and I got the Pasta Newburg. My wife got the side salad, and I asked if they had a caesar salad and was told yes, so I ordered that.

Bread came out - strange, doughy biscuit rolls that reminded me of the biscuits from biscuits and gravy.

Salads came out, and were fine. Nothing over the top. I was a bit disappointed in the Caesar, but that's normal for me. It needed some tang from more lemon, and I got zero anchovy taste. Don't think there was any in there. They had lots of good parmesan in it though. Good overall.

Dinners came out, and were good. The Mushroom Cappellini was tasty and well cooked, but needed a little something. Maybe some toasted nuts, some fresh squeezed lemon, not sure... The Pasta Newburg was very good. The Pappardelle noodles were homemade and perfectly cooked and delicious. The sauce was thick, creamy, delicious and probably exceeded my fat and calorie intake for the month. I sopped it up at the end with the rolls. The seafood in the dish was a little sad though... very small shrimp (salad shrimp?) and they seemed boiled. It would have been nice to see grilled or broiled larger shrimp. The bay scallops were as expected and were cooked perfectly. The lobster was good, although there was very little of it in the dish. Overall quantities were large, and we left very full.

Halfway through dinner, another couple was seated near us. We had no issues, but the tables were extremely close, almost to the point where our elbows were bumping and our chairs touched. Other tables in the room were just as close or closer though. At this point, it had gotten VERY loud in the room.

We passed on dessert, mostly because we had no clue what we had spent up to this point on drinks, and again had no clue what desserts would cost. And we were pretty full. There were a lot on the dessert "cart" and they looked tasty though.

When the bill arrived, I was surprised to see that the Pasta Newburg was more than expected - it was noted "Pasta Newburg w/ Caesar" and was around $3 higher than the menu. When the waitress came back to pick up the bill, I asked her if the Caesar salad cost extra. She replied "yes" and I told her that I didn't realize it. She then said "it said it on the menu". Excuse me, but "it's on the menu" is never the best response when a customer asks about a price, and rude. It wasn't a huge deal, but I just felt she should have told me when I asked earlier. I don't necessarily read every word on a menu, and don't feel that I should be held accountable for knowing this. If she would have said "yes" and apologized simply for not saying anything, I would have passed and moved on and it would have been acceptable. Sometimes little things make the difference. Ended up at $50+tax or so, and we left $10 tip.

Overall a nice dinner, nice place, decent food, good service. We'd try it again, but won't rush to go back again. Closer to an "if we're in the area, we'd stop by" restaurant, but probably will stop out this summer for the outdoor dining. Prices were high though, and they definitely need to better label and explain what things cost. The biggest disappointment is that they really don't know what beer they have...

• Visited February 2012
Medina, Ohio
“Very Comfortable”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

The Corkscrew is have a varied menu which has something for everyone. House if beautiful and seething with history. The food & service are great!

2 Thank Anita T
Medina, Ohio
“Steaks are Great”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

The steaks are very good. I ordered the FIlet Mignon. It was outstanding & very flavorful. I love this place & will go back again & again. Not a cheap restaurant but it is well worth the money that you spend on the food. You can't go wrong eating here.

Visited November 2011