“Mixed review. Has potential but housekeeping is a problem.”

Staybridge Suites Cleveland Mayfield Heights Beachwood
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Check-in
Checking in was a breeze. A quick swipe of my credit card & ID and we were handed our room key.

Room Layout Issues
The description of our room, a two bedroom suite promised to be roomy and well-appointed, but fell short because of cleaning and maintenance issues. The overall layout of the room is acceptable but there are several little quirks that make the room a little awkward. First off, the countertop for the peninsula/bar stool area was normal table height. This countertop surface is usually barstool height and it was very awkward having it so low.

Also, some areas of the room are bit cramped. For example, opening the bathroom door. The size of the bathroom itself was very small and felt really cramped. Also the tub felt warped or curved on the bottom. During showers it felt like we were doing a balancing act, never really being able to put your food down completely flat. Totally layout issues.

Maintenance Issues
Paint peeling on the ceiling above the room to the double bed room. Slow draining bathroom sink in the double bed room.

Housekeeping Issues
Upon first arriving to our room, there were several fingerprints on the glass window panes. Dust on the television. Icky splashes of a red liquid on the door trim to the bathroom and near the bathroom sink in king bedroom. Crumbs in the refrigerator left from the previous guest. Awkward placement of pillows on the bed (four small pillows all placed all one side of the bed). Extra pillows in closet utility bag had an awkward smell, and we didn’t feel comfortable using. The bed itself seemed to be made in a hurried, sloppy way. Large stain on the carpet in the middle of the room (8-10 inch spot on the carpet made our stay that much more uncomfortable as we had no idea of knowing what it was). Towel strewn on the bathroom countertop (appeared used).

Breakfast & Staff Observations
Breakfast itself was spotty at best. Some items were fresh and some looked like they had been set out from the day before. The French toast was hard, and I mean extremely rock hard around the crust part. The eggs appeared to be an omelet type and seemed very styrofoamy and barely passable for eggs. They had ham that seemed good, but a bit dry. The prepackaged items were fine, such as yogurt and things of that nature. The waffle mix was disgusting. My husband went to make waffles for the kids and the mix literally separated while pouring into the cup (beyond old). Which brings me to the staff (young woman manning the breakfast station). Ok, this woman seemed almost unapproachable and was slamming several of the items down in the dining area and in the kitchen. She had a very displeasing manner about her and appeared to be very upset about either life or her job. She did replace the mix for the waffles and replaced the ham and eggs, and put out more French toast. But too bad for us, the poor souls that just tried to stomach the early morning round of what appeared to be yesterday’s castaways.

Staff Management
I will say this. I really liked the manager on that day. She was a young lady that seemed determined to make the best of a situation. Once I called down to the front desk to have them look at the stain on the carpet, she came up quickly and was very pleasant and accommodating. I thought she handled the situation very professionally and after she left she even called to offer us a small discount on our room because of the oversight with the towel from housekeeping.

Final thoughts
Overall, I’d say that I would not stay at this hotel again until they revisit: housekeeping issues, breakfast staff training and food preparation and maintenance/updating the rooms. I think this hotel has potential to be a really nice establishment if they fix the above. Even making a reservation for the hotel was sketchy. I called, was put on hold, remained on hold for like 5 minutes before I just got tired of waiting and hung up. When I called back again, I was told “oh yeah, sorry I had a lot of things to do…” Wow, really? So like I said before this hotel has some things going for it, like good management. But until the rest of the staff and housekeeping get with the program we won’t be staying here again.

Room Tip: P.F. Changs isn't far away, it's great!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in October and a friend was here for 3 weeks. This is an extended stay hotel, so there are a few things that don't function the same as a standard hotel.

Housekeeping did an excellent job when they were here, but they do not service the rooms on the weekends and they tell you that upon arrival, but if you are checking in at the start of the week, just try to keep this in mind as the weekend approaches so you have towels...

Location - Not the best, not the worst. The hotel is located in a business complex, so there is not much around, you will need a car and you will have to drive to get food, toiletries or just to see the sights.

Rooms - Because of the location I would consider the noise level to be very low, there is little to no outside noise that we could hear. The room we were in 258 is configured with a separate bedroom which contained 2 full size beds, dresser, closet, flat screen TV, and housed the bathroom. The sink area is located outside the toilet/shower room which is nice when 2 people are getting ready at the same time. The other room contained the kitchen area with a full size fridge/freezer stove top (2 burners) small sink with garbage disposal, microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker, and cups, plates, glasses, etc... There is also a breakfast bar with two chairs. on the other side of the room is the sitting area a couch, chair and another flat screen TV with a DVD player.

The hotel offers a full buffet breakfast each morning with assorted hot and cold items, that seem to rotate so you are not eating the same thing every day. They also offer a "happy hour" Monday - Thursday as sort of a dinner alternative.

There is an outdoor pool, that was closed this time of the year. There is a small business center, with computers and printers, exercise room with treadmills and light work out equipment.

As I noted earlier, the hotel is located in an office park so it's not really suited for kids or families as you have to drive to get anywhere. It is a 20+ minute drive to get to any attractions as the hotel is located east of the city.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I enjoyed this hotel very much. The rooms were quite large with a kitchen and seating area. The staff was excellent with a good breakfast and managers evening gathering which many hotle guests attended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Staff; they are very nice and welcomed well, specially Amber, thanks lot. Rooms were clean and well maintained. we had chance to cook food in the room it was convenient, room service is good. Breakfast and dinner also good and 100% value for money. I recommend this hotel and will stay whenever I come to Cleveland Mayfield heights.

1  Thank apfriend
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed here with my young children for my niece's wedding at the reception hall next door. Rooms are roomy and comfortable. Kitchen with big fridge, kitchen appliances (microwave, toaster, stove, coffee maker, dishwasher), and lots of cooking/dining utensils was convenient with kids. Also nice that I could put them to bed in the bedroom, close the door, and have some quiet time to myself in the living room/kitchen. There was a bag of microwave popcorn in the kitchen by the tea and coffee, which made watching a movie with the kids in the evening more fun. Bring DVD's if you want -- there is a player in the living room. There is also a TV in the bedroom. The included breakfast had many, many options and was plentiful. There were cookies in the lobby in the afternoons, although we seemed to always miss them. The beds were very comfortable, the bathroom was clean and spacious, and everything in the room was in good repair. One down side is that we showed up briefly at our room to change clothes and go right back out, just as housekeeping was in our hallway. They passed our room, even though we were only there for a short time, and never came back to clean the room after we left. By the time we came in for the evening, it was too late to call and request housekeeping service, so our room was never cleaned at all during our weekend stay. There is a Champp's restaurant very close (you need to drive, but not far -- it's in an office park one street over from the hotel), which allows you to have a meal without getting into the traffic insanity on Mayfield Rd. Beautiful outdoor pool that only goes to 4.5 feet (a plus when you have kids and there's no lifeguard), although we didn't have a chance to use it. Shop in lobby to buy snack and sundries, although there are many stores a short drive away, too. I didn't use the business center, but it looked adequate. Staff was very friendly and tried to be helpful. Nice that we could just walk to/from the reception at Executive Caterers/Landerhaven -- a sidewalk runs from the parking lot of the hotel right to the reception hall. All in all, a great place to stay, but they need to work on that housekeeping issue.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank distortiongirl
StaybridgeCleve, Owner at Staybridge Suites Cleveland Mayfield Heights Beachwood, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an honest and nice response. The staff works daily at providing our guest's a comfortable stay with a smile.

Housekeeping has become a challenge, you are right. At Staybridge, a full clean is done every 7 days of your stay and a light touch daily, except for weekends. ALTHOUGH, for a guest arriving on Friday, departing on Sunday, the light touch is to be done on Saturday. I am so sorry that was not the case.

The information is on the key packet received at check in. It is our responsibility to review this information and property information with the guest at check in. Again, our apologies if not done or could have been done better.

It is just so encouraging that guest's like yourself take the time to give positive and constructive feedback and not just negative. We are always striving to improve service. We just always ask that a guest tell us what we can improve during their stay for their stay.

Best of wishes to you and your family,

Carla Gold,

Reviewed August 22, 2012

It's quiet. It's in a residential area, way off street, no food or other amenities near by.

You will not hear the air breaks of the trucks. And, if you get a room on the 1st floor, you won't hear much at all as the rooms are quite soundproof.

They have a sleep center in 124. The University Hospital employees must never have heard of HIPAA as they work with their door open, talking very *VERY loudly all day.

Bed was comfortable, pillow selection good. The shower was hot, water pressure not good.

Rooms do not have a luggage stand. What is it with Staybridge and their love of suitcases on the furniture? Yuck!

Service was just plain bad.

Nothing was replaced during my stay. Taken, sure, replaced, no.
Guests were turned right around at breakfast for showing up in their socks (kids, grandparents, whathaveyou) and told to go put their shoes on,
No food nearby means that you can be certain that any appetizers/beverages put out in the evening will be consumed. Quickly. Not refilled in a timely manner -- though the salad items were very good.

Items left in the sink were not washed, not put in the dishwasher...just rinsed and left to dry. Gross. That means everything in the glassware section needs a visit in the dishwasher.
--which is running right now.

I won't come back to this Staybridge. I have business nearby and when I return, it will be elsewhere.

Room Tip: Not on the 2nd floor and not near the elevator.
1  Thank Sonoran_Skies

This is the first review, I have ever responded to that I absolutely disagree with and am very disappointed by.

The Staybridge Suites collection and specifically our hotel is comfortable, clean and worked by people who care, genuinely care. I am personally there Monday - Friday, 6am -7pm. Frequenting on the weekends. Why, because I care and have a staff that feels the same.

There may not be a luggage stand, but we have spacious suites with very accommodating space for personal belongs. Our guest room rates are competitive and often priced lower than area hotels offering more value.

*A spacious Suite with a full kitchen
*Complimentary Coffee
*Complimentary Full Breakfast daily
*Complimentary Social - Tuesday - Thursday (a social that is a full dinner. We have ample food prepared each night)
*Complimentary Wireless Internet
*Complimentary Business Center
*Complimentary Laundry
*Complimentary Fitness Center
*Outdoor Pool and Grills for guests to use

Doesn't sound like a "Yuck" to me. We politely ask guest's in bare feet to put on shoes during food service. What is wrong with that? If they cut their feet on something, who will be blamed?

When we check a guest out, we always ask "How was your stay"? I ask guest's daily how there stay is. Did you allow us to "Make it Right"?

I am always available to discuss with a guest any questions, concerns or suggestions they may have.

I will only hope that you read my response and ask that you give other hotel's a chance before you leave. Then in the spirit of what Trip Advisor is supposed to be for, post your comments.

Carla Gold

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I only was staying for one night but wish I was staying longer. Fantastic rooms with a kitchen and up to date rooms. I did not feel like I was in a hotel room. The free breakfast was better than any hotel I have ever stayed at. The only downfall is that it is not in close walking distance to anything. You can not go wrong staying here!

1  Thank Tracy P
StaybridgeCleve, Owner at Staybridge Suites Cleveland Mayfield Heights Beachwood, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Tracy,

Thank you for taking the time to make such a nice comment on the Hotel. It goes a long way for the staff. You definitely need to drive to area shopping, attractions and or restaurants. Hopefully, you saved money not shopping and got rest and relaxation at the pool!!!

Come back again,

Carla Gold

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mayfield Heights
Hyatt Place Cleveland/Lyndhurst/Legacy Village
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Beachwood
Homewood Suites Cleveland-Beachwood
Embassy Suites by Hilton Cleveland - Beachwood
Comfort Inn Mayfield Heights Cleveland East
Comfort Inn Mayfield Heights Cle...
#2 of 3 in Mayfield Heights
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cleveland Beachwood

Been to Staybridge Suites Cleveland Mayfield Heights Beachwood? Share your experiences!