“Dinner Special was delicious”

Smokey Bones BBQ & Grill
Ranked #19 of 112 Restaurants in Maumee
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Smokey Bones is not my kind of restaurant. I am a fish person. My wife really wanted sirloin steak and kettle chips.. So....we ate there. HOWEVER, they had a salmon dinner special. I tried it and it was one of the best salmon dinners I have had. Yes, my wife thoroughly enjoyed her dinner..Country Inn and Suites offered a 15% disc which added to our delight.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I've been here before - the food was good and service was decent. But last night was just ridiculous. We got there about 7pm and the wait time was 30 minutes - but there were empty tables everywhere. The hostess said that they didn't expect to be busy after Easter and didn't have enough people come in. First, why don't you call people and ask them to come to work? Second, if you can't get people to come in why do you not only fill up the front of your dining room (closest to the door of the restaurant)? This way, people think the wait is justified since you can't see all of the empty tables in the back. We finally got to our table and ordered our food. We were freezing - the AC was up so high that we were all wearing our coats throughout the meal. The waitress comes back a few minutes later to tell us that they ran out of chicken. How is this possible? So my mom had to settle for something she really didn't want. The food took forever to come out. The manager had the waitress bring us free corn bread. Some issues here. First, the manager should have brought this over him/herself and should have apologized for the major inconveniences through out the evening. Second, free corn bread? Yeah it was good but a meal should have been paid for (like my mom's). The food came and was very good though. But here's where the service went down hill - the waitress disappeared after we got the food. We didn't get refills on our drinks. She took forever to get us our check and our boxes. It was an all around bad dining experience. Moral of the story: if you are in Maumee and want BBQ, find somewhere else to go. If you need to get BBQ from Smokey Bones, just get take out.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

I have been here alot of times and have always had perfect ribs! My favorite place to get ribs at. Original babybacks are the best.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

I don't even know where to begin, so I will begin at the beginning.

Arrived just after opening on a Sunday morning to have lunch after church. I was excited to go, because my husband really likes this place and I haven't been there. What a disappointment. Opened the door to the foyer, and immediately stepped into about an inch of soapy water. The entire floor was covered, and slippery. Didn't know whether to enter or not, could see the staff inside, and I was confused...it's past opening time, are they open or not? Gingerly stepped through the foyer and opened the interior door, thinking that maybe they just forgot about the foyer. Again, the entire floor is covered in soapy water. The staff, are standing there looking at us. Soooo.....WTH? A man with a squeegie says come on it.....I ask how? So he comes and walks next to us, instead of removing the water, he escorts us through it. Really? I wonder how their insurance company would feel about that!

We were seated and waited on promptly...for the initial contact. Drinks were never refilled, even though they had been set at the edge of the table and wait staff walked by repeatedly. Hubby's burger and fries looked good. Daughter's chicken tenders were WAY overcooked, almost to the point where they couldn't be eaten. My food, however, was the worst. I ordered a Cuban and the mac and cheese. The Cuban was left on the grill for to long, making the bread brittle. Some of the pork was hard. Not tough, hard. And the mac and cheese is listed as a premium side, for which they charge more. It tasted like the velveeta shells and cheese from the box. How about some seasoned bread crumbs on the top, or bake it in the oven to make it a little crispy on the edges? Anything would be an improvement. Anything. It was boring and just overall terrible. I think I had three bites. Yuck.

I will not return. When two out of three meals are terrible, it's time to pick a different restaurant. That's probably why the place was so empty.

1  Thank SonriseBMD
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Our family of six came intending to eat in comfort, but instead found it to be uncomfortably cold throughout the restaurant. When we asked our waitress if the heat could be turned up a bit, she went to ask her manager. She returned to tell us that her manager had said it would take at least 30 minutes for it to warm up after adjusting the thermostat upward, so it wouldn't be worth it...we wouldn't even notice it while we were there. (From start to finish, we were there an hour and fifteen minutes...so I'm not sure what they meant by the 30 minute comment). We had our newborn grandbaby with us, so kept him bundled up the entire time. It was so cold, the adults in our party had to keep their coats on. Another customer remarked to us that it was "freezing" in the restaurant, too...so we were not the only ones that were uncomfortable. It was disappointing to spend almost $100 on our group's lunch, only to have everyone shivering cold during their meals...definitely not enjoyable!

To be fair, the food was excellent, a 5...and that is the only reason I gave an average score of 3. Comfort level rated a 1.