“DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Maumee
Holland, Ohio, United States
“DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have lived in the area my entire life, and where this hotel was built is an area that has suffered financially no matter what has been built there. We had hopes when Holiday Inn put in this seemingly nice waterpark. But Holiday Inn seems to be shooting themselves in the foot. The Hotel seems decent enough, but if you are focused on the waterpark, chances are you will be highly disapppointed. The waterpark has such limited available hours (EVEN IN THE SUMMER!!!!)it boggles the mind. Only open on Fridays for 5 hours, Saturdays for 11 hours, Sunday for 5 hours. Thats IT! I cannot see this business lasting much longer. I actually hope it goes under so some other company will buy it and have the waterpark open everyday like EVERY OTHER INDOOR WATERPARK within 100 miles of this place. The waterpark is small, true, but better hotel management could make it a great place. More chairs, and an area for adults not swimming would be nice, keeping kids out of the hot tub areas so adults have at least one place to themselves would also be nice. Training the YOUNG lifeguards to actually watch the people in the water as opposed to flirting with each other would be great too. My daughter (7) got stuck inside the tall waterslide and began screaming when no one came to her assistance (lifeguard at top of slide was laughing/talking to another lg who came up to chat I guess)she was so traumatized she refused to go on the waterslides from that point on. The chlorine level is high, but that is the case with indoor waterparks, so we know to bring googles, eyedrops. The cost is too high seeing it is so small, and I would rather spend the exact same amount of money for The Kalahari or Great Wolf or even Holiday Inns Splash Universe 45 minutes away in Dundee MI. They could sure take lessons from the mgmt at Splash Universe, we have been there many times, as well as Kalahari. And please, Holiday Inn Mgmt in Maumee, don't respond to this with your pat answers on how you have instructed your staff to do this or that because it obviously is not working as I see the same complaints over and over again over the past years, and nothing has changed. SELL IT ALREADY!!! You are never open long enough for anyone to enjoy, especially during the summer when people are on vacation!!!! SHEESH!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank becvee132

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Oregon, Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I rate this "Average" because I never made it there due to the poor telephone service I received when calling to inquire hours and rates. I had a party of at least 15 but the guy who answered the phone didn't seem interested in my business. I asked him one question, which he answered rudely and then I got half of my next question out and he just hung up on me. Telephone staff and front line reception tell a lot about a business and I wasn't going to spend the money with a company that obvoiously didn't appeciate my business. I'd rather make a little further drive and go elsewhere.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, IHG Care at Holiday Inn Toledo/Maumee, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear ramirezmp,

Thank you so much for your candid review. I am deeply sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Rest assured that all of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception.

Janice A
IHG Care
NYC
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Paid $20/kid after 4 pm. Kids stayed until 9 pm when it closed. Big slides occupied the big kids (age 17), lifeguards occupied the girls, little slides occupied the little kids (age 9). Dad did some slides. Mom stayed in room, read her book and took a nap. Worth it.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank M R K
Jensen Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

So we were lucky enough to show up at another hotel and find they were without Power. After a crazy search because of the widespread power outage and a nearby NASCAR race we ended up driving north and found this holiday inn. We had booked another water park and were happy to find this substitute. We checked in at midnight. The lobby is very nice 5 starfish. The room was amazing for a family of 5. We got a king bed, and 2 spacious bunk beds for the 2 older kids. The water park was amazing. Our boys didn't stop a second. After 4 hours we drug them out screamIng but of course they were asleep In the car within 15 minutes. Amazing stay, great family vacation or place to stay. One. Egative, the breakfast buffet was a ghost town. The food was a little old, but he staff as happy to cook fresh.

• Stayed June 2012
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is a very nice Holiday Inn Hotel, with an inside water park. The rooms are overpriced at this location, and entry to the waterpark is a separate fee. Even if you are not participatring & just want to watch your kids, you have to pay a fee to get in. There are package pricing options available that will save you a little bit of money,
There is a beautiful suite here that has 2 queen beds, a bunk bed & a pull-out sleeper sofa, dinette, & kitchenette with stove & fridge. Great for a large family, or 2 small families sharing the cost.
The water park itself is fun for kids, with 3 waterslides, a float moat, & smaller children's area. There is NO place for an adult to just chill out in there. No standing, swimming or just wading in the water areas. You had to either be doing an activity or be out of the water. The interior is very steamy & stuffy. and very uncomfortable if you are only watching.
This location has a cluster of three hotels. 1 is Holiday Inn, 2 is a run down out-of-business hotel, & 3 is a small hotel with a small indoor pool that has agreed to allow Holiday Inn people use their pool. (can't recall the name)
Also, people can just buy a day pass to the water park even if they are not staying at the hotel. They also host birthday parties here, using up the scarce tables & chairs available and it gets busier than normal.
.This would be an ideal location for the younger crowd, but personally for us & our 2 teenagers, it was a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeannie B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toledo/Maumee, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Jeannie B,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the water park and how beautiful the suites are.

However, we’re sorry for the lack of activities around the water park area. Your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
IHGCare
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stopped here on the drive from Chicago area to Maryland. I was a little concerned that traffic noise from the turnpike might disturb my sleep given that the hotel is right off of the exit ramp. I asked for a room on the opposite of the building and found it peaceful and quiet. Room service menu was a little bland but overall I was happy with my staff. Clean, quiet and comfortable - perfect for resting after a long drive.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mddem
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

I cannot actually rate the accommodations as my family never got the chance to stay. We inquired through the front desk as a walk-in after spotting the hotel from the tollway exit. The rate quoted for a standard king w/queen sofa pullout was $345 (incl 4 pack waterpark) for Sat, 5/26, and $239 for Sun, 5/27. There were no other package options presented. I politely declined, walked back to my waiting family, and told my husband 'I believe we were just color-blocked'. There was no other way to fathom such outrageous rates for a hotel outside of popular resort areas..

It bothered me so much, I just had to call the hotel directly for another rate quote, inquiring into Sunday only (Sat fully booked by then). The nice gentleman quoted $159 w/water pkg, $109 w/o, for the same size room.

I understand rates can vary depending on the booking method. In this case, I can't help but feel 'in person' was definitely to my family's detriment. It is, however, mere speculation on my part. Maybe the hotel can explain their opportunistic pricing another way.

In fairness, this review rated high for cleanliness and rooms since we did not see or experience otherwise, and avg for the location based on the closest establishments. We stuck with our reservation at another hotel off of Airport Hwy just 15 mins down the road, and was much more pleased with the surroundings.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank vanny1mil
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toledo/Maumee, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear vanny1mil,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I would like to offer a sincere apology that you were not able to stay with us. Please be informed that the rates can change without notice and can vary depending on the room type. We would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.