“Didn't know what to expect”
Review of Sahara Restaurant

Sahara Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 111 Restaurants in Maumee
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stopped in one night to check out this place since I have been staying just down the road while working on a project in Toledo.

It was almost empty. I looked at the menu and decided to try it anyway.

Glad I did. It was simple but good middle eastern food at a fair price.

I had a side of Gyro meat as a app...GREAT Gyro meat. Flavorful but tender and not dried out.

I had a Beef Shishkabob....it was simple...beef and onion slices over rice but VERY GOOD

Simple but cheap wine list.

Personally I don't know why the place is not full. It is not fancy in décor or food presentation but it is good and inexpensive. Maybe Toledo people just don't have a taste for Middle Eastern food or are not open to trying it.

All I know is I will go back. I will probably try the lamb Shishkabobs or Lamb Chops.

I eat out on the road a lot and love to find simple, inexpensive and fast restaurants with good food because my employers/clients won't sign off on Ruths Chris every night LOL

Not a place I would take clients to impress, but I will go there again to eat while working in Toledo

1  Thank TERMINATOR1959

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We wanted close to our hotel, Comfort Suites, and a lighter meal. I had salmon with skewer of vegetables and rice. Very good. Spouse had gyros (half portion, which was plenty) , even better perhaps. Salads are generous. $2 baklava was nice ending. Restaurant was half full by the time we left but the waitress was attentive throughout. We were pleasantly surprised by the decor as strip mall places can be too bare, but Sahara's s inviting. Also, while advertised as Mediterranean, the menu includes American fare as well. The take out business was strong during our visit, a good sign I think.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

My husband and I frequent this restaurant at least twice a month. It is absolutely the best Hommous in town. We find the lunch prices reasonable at about 5 bucks for a sandwich or 7-8 bucks for a lunch. I always have leftovers to take home with me. The waitress "Chris" always puts our order in to the kitchen when we walk in the door.

Dinner is a little pricier than lunch. But then we split dinner. Usually getting for about 17 bucks a dinner that consists of chicken shishkabob, kafta, and shishkabob on a bed of rice with hommous on the side. We find this place to be a hidden little gem.

1  Thank worldtravelerbgc
Reviewed April 12, 2012

The worst middle eastern food I've ever had. I had to flag down a waitress all the time. The plates and glasses were dirty. The waitress didn't know any of the lunch specials. She told us my order included 2 Kafta Kabob's but we received 1 instead with no apology given. She had no idea what she was doing. The food was half uncooked. The bread was dry. Too much skimping (scarse food). We had to wait forever for our food. Overall, a horrible and overpriced lunch.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

This little restaurant on the corner of Dussel and Perrysburg Holland Road makes their own hummus that is the creamiest, tastiest, healthy food around. The best hummus ever. The fatoosh and falafel are awesome too. Staff will greet you by name after a few visits and really get to know what you like. Crystal is a good server and a kind lady. Chuck makes great food. Lunchtime can be busy, but worth it. Rarely a day goes by that I don't have their hummus in my refrigerator.