“Quite rude”

The Village Idiot
Ranked #7 of 112 Restaurants in Maumee
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I was with a group of friends at the Taste of Maumee recently, having a great time. There was a small bar that had a patio overlooking the venue, which we went in and out of several times throughout the evening. Although I can not remember the name of this smaller bar, the staff was friendly, and we came and went without a cover charge. As the festival wound down, and things started to close up, we decided to go to The Village Idiot, which was only a few doors down from the other bar we had been in and out of all evening. As I (who was leading the lot) approached the doors, I was stopped by a female at the door, by her placing her hand to my chest to prevent me from entering. She literally physically stopped me, and nearly knocked me backwards. I looked astonished, and she just nodded at a man across the doorway from her who announced that there was a cover charge. I had no idea. While I may have been more than willing to pay a cover in normal circumstances, the way in which I was accosted turned me in my tracks. I will never attempt to patronize this establishment, nor will I recommend it. That sort of treatment is unacceptable. .

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Found this place by accident while looking at Billy Joe Shaver's tour schedule. It was the closest venue from home, so off we went. I contacted the bar a few days earlier to say we were driving a few hundred miles and didn't want to miss out on tickets. We arrived to a great big welcoming hello, a few reserved seats and a sea of local friendly faces. A chalkboard listing the brews on tap, another listing the pizzas available, a third listing upcoming bands. Pretty much counter service only. If this were my neighbourhood bar, I'd never go home. Real pizza, craft beers and live music - that's what this joint is all about.

You might see a few earlier reviews where folks say they had a lousy experience. All I can say is we arrived from out of town and were treated like locals. We invited a few folks to sit with us, shared the dance floor with some colourful characters and two-stepping couples, and generally had a great time.

Going back someday soon, for sure.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

No, you are not going to have staff waiting on you hand and foot. This is a veeerrry laid back pub in which you walk up to the bar to get your own drinks and you walk to the window to order your pizza. That being said, the bartenders are friendly and the pizza is amazing! There is a variety of music 7 days a week. This is a comfortable bar to relax for a while listening to music and drinking a cold beer. Super casual environment.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Used to go here with coworkers over the years and it was pretty cool. Now it is nothing but a dirty, smoke filled bar with bad service. I took some friends from California there only to be completely embarrassed by the entire atmosphere. My friend got rolled eyes when she said thanks to the bartender for her beer. She laughed it off but I still wish she would have grabbed her tip back. We left after a half hour of that nasty place. It is nothing but a boys club hangout for dirty local burnt out wanna be hippies. Such a shame as they seem to feature some great musicians. They used to have great pizza too. Not sure what happened but I have spoken to several others who avoid this place now as well.

4  Thank TooSmart
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The pizza is top notch. Just the best. Beer selection is extensive. All the brands, and Oberon on tap. Feels like the big open door welcomes you in. Place your own order at the window, then step up to the bar and get a beer. Simple as that. Stage for entertainment. Chalk board announcing bands and beer tasting. Will return with friends soon.