“Very modern hotel”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Maumee
Auburn, Indiana
“Very modern hotel”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I recently visited the hotel with a youth football team. The layout of the room was very spacious as well as the overall layout of the hotel. Very nice lobby and lounging area. The breakfast was just ok, good waffles, thats about it. The pool was nice and I wish I could have visited in the summer to enjoy the awesome patio area between the lobby and the pool. Very nice all concrete patio with a gas grill. The satf was friendly and tolerable considering the amount of <12 year old boys staying at the hotel. The night staff was nice and allowed us to congregate in the lobby in front of the fireplace and tv well into the night. Within walking distance of a very nice mall. Clean rooms, nice kitchenette. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor, very slow elevators!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LNW713
LB646, Manager at Staybridge Suites Toledo / Maumee, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thanks again for your business. We also appreciate your feedback on this site. We agree our hotel is perfect for a variety of travelers, whether you are planning a long-term trip for work, a weekend shopping trip or are just passing through town. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Idaho
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Had a great room, extremely clean, awesome breakfast in AM. Price of room was below other hotels that were not as nice or did not have free breakfast. Pool area small but nice, sat in hot tub, not overly chlorinated like most. Great place same company as Holiday Inn.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank kns_rn
Thanks for your review. Our hotel and staff is focused on having the best value and service together. We are glad you are liked our salt water pool and jacuzzi. We hope you will enjoy our hotel again in the near future.
Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed their recently for a friend’s wedding. Good location, friendly staff, and nice hotel.
The breakfast in the morning was good (much better than similar priced included breakfast hotels).
Lovely lobby and indoor pool. The room was good but faded bedding with lumpy pillows.
Room seemed very clean. There was a note asking for tripadvisor reviews and to enjoy the complimentary bottled water and snacks (though there was none)! Only two real problems. The toilet was very slow to flush when we first got there. I notified the front desk of the problem and they said they would take care of it while we were gone. At midnight when we returned, the problem had not been taken care of and when I called down again the new desk person knew nothing about it. Well 10 minutes later I was delivered a plunger so I could fix the problem. It did not take me long and they gave me $20 off the room, but I really just wanted them to take care of their own problem like they said they would and not have to call back at midnight.
The other problem was an unusual rule. After plunging the toilet we met old friends in the lobby breakfast area (very nice with a fireplace) and got reacquainted for some time. At 1 AM they asked us to leave because they close the lobby to clean it. Most hotels I have stayed at don't give you a hard time as long as you are reasonably respectful about noise of using the lobby and could clean around you but.....
Overall the Good did outweigh the bad so I would stay there again but would not say that I would not look around as well for other options

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank T S
LB646, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Toledo / Maumee, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Hi. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. We want each guest to be 100% satisfied with our hotel. That did not happen with your stay. Please know that we have reviewed your feedback with the entire staff. Our staff is now aware of several training topics, and how important it is to focus on making sure each of our guests receive what we promise, and can make use of all that our hotel has to offer.

In the interim, I would be pleased to offer you a full refund for your stay. I will try to track down your name and contact information, but you are also most welcome to call me, and I will take care of this charge. Thank you again for your feedback. I genuinely appreciate your time.

Regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I really want to like this place but it still has problems.  I had a terrible stay here in December 2011 that included dirty rooms and culminated in essentially being told that housekeeping was too busy to change my gritty sheets and I should do it myself.  Despite trying multiple times to speak with someone in charge while I was at the hotel and sending an email to several people, including the manager, after my stay no one has ever reached out to me to discuss my awful experience.

Fast forward to October 2012 and an unexpected trip to the area.  I decided to give the hotel another shot since I had heard they had a new manager.  Things had improved somewhat. The room we were given was cleaner than the one in December.  There was still dust in places but not as thick as before.  The bed sheets were clean.  I had some hope.  Then the morning after we checked in I went to make breakfast in the room.  I pulled out a cereal bowl.  It was dirty.  Dirty as in obviously used and put back in the cupboard.  I pulled out the other two bowls and they were in a similar  state.  Well, I thought, I will just improvise and eat out of a coffee cup.  I pulled that out and much to my disgust saw that it was also obviously used for coffee and put away dirty.

Later in our stay we came back to room and discovered it had been serviced but we were left with only one washcloth.  So we had to trudge to the lobby and get some more.  Sure, a minor inconveience but still annoying.

Is it really too much to ask that when you are assigned to and checked into a room all the ammenities you are paying for are clean and ready to use?  That when you receive housekeeping service you are given all of the towels and washcloths you might need--especially since they do not provide housekeeping services on the weekend unless you specifically request it? This place is not some inexpensive motel where you might expect a lower level of service.  We paid, on average, $100 a night and that included the weekend when service drops dramatically.

As I said I really want to like this place.  The concept of a small kitchen area appeals to me.  The property is adjacent to an outdoor shopping mall with nice resturants, shops, and a movie theater.  The location is personally convenient for me.  If management would just put in place some measures to ensure that each guest room is clean and properly serviced before and during guest stays, this could be an outstanding property.

I now face a real dilemma.  There will be a small family wedding right after Christmas.  Do I risk embarrassment by putting up out of town guests here and possibly having people unable to use the ammenities or do I make people drive farther?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thanks again for your review of our hotel. I appreciate that you gave us a second chance after your unfortunate experience last December. I am glad that you can see we have made progress since your last stay. It is 100% acceptable that you would expect your room to be completely clean, which includes the amenities that were included. This is something of which we have reviewed with our staff.

I very highly value the opinion of each of our guests. I hope this does not seem too bold, but may I ask you to give us one more try? This time would be with our compliments. With the information provided, I will try to find your contact information, but you are welcome to call me. I will make you a new reservation.

Kind Regards,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed at this hotel twice: once on the way to New England and once on the way home. Both times, we were very impressed with the hotel and its employees. The hotel is very nice, very clean, the beds are very comfortable, and the staff is very helpful. The rooms are spacious and the amenities are great: full size refrigerator and microwave oven. The only drawback to this hotel is that it is located in a shopping mall complex, but far away from a grocery store, gas station, etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Richard C
Thanks so much for your review. We are glad that you are pleased with our hotel. While it is true we are adjacent to the Shops of Fallen Timbers, we are also very close to both Kroger (grocery) and Walmart; which are only five minutes from the hotel.

We hope we can see you on your next cross-country trip!

Regards,

Mt. Prospect
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Over the course of the past three years, I have stayed at this hotel well over 200 nights and wouldn't stay at anyplace else in the area. Prior to this hotel being built, I stayed at the "other guy's" suites in the area and they pale in comparison. The suites are roomy and comfortable with two flat screen TV's, a living room and a full kitchen area that helps when you just want to come in from a long day at work and prepare a bite in the room. The hotel has a great exercise room to help start off the day with some cardio and strength training. After a morning work-out, they have an excellent complementary breakfast that has a wide variety of offerings, both hot and cold. To top it all off, the hotel has a friendly professional staff that makes you feel at home and will remedy any issue that may arise, Bottom line here is that I would highly recommend the Staybridge Suites in Maumee to any travelers visiting the area.

Room Tip: The hotel is located in the Fallen Timbers Mall so there are no "issues" with noisy rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your continued business. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our guests' experiences. We are pleased to know that you are enjoying the fruits of our labor. Thanks again, see you next time.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here overnight with my husband on business. Gave us an upgrade to a hospitality suite. Thanks! Room was big but not as nice as the Staybridge we stayed at earlier in the month. Bed spread looked kind of "used and abused". Needed to be pitched! Room was clean and spacious until I took a shower and looked back and there was a long black hair on the side wall. Now, I am blond and my husband is bald!! He at that point didnt use the shower yet! Kind of gross... That said, Im not sure why I just felt this place needed a better clean, maybe the carpets IDK. The manager reception was more varied that the other Staybridge property. Seemed to have more of a selection. The kraut and the keilbassi was overdone. My husband usually loves that stuff ,he didnt enjoy his either. We did have a glass of wine, was $1.00. I commented about them not having that option at the other property. Thought it was a nice feature. We ate outside in the pretty courtyard. It was 75 degrees and we were the only ones out there....hmmm. The courtyard was nice but the furniture just weird placed around. The tables and chairs I felt should of been better arranged neatly. Maybe that why no one was eating out there. Messy! Breakfest had alot of choices but I did not care for the food at this place. The other place had great breakfast! Coffee was good here though!! Well, as a person that always rates my stays on Trip Adviser I was surprised to see a paper in my room asking us to please" even though they hate to ask guests to do work"... to please rate them. I dont know, but I found that distasteful. That would be like having guests at my home and them asking them to email my the next day what they thought of my home, my meal and my company... A guest is a guest, they shouldnt have to do work for you! Especially when as a hotel guest you are paying for the services you receive. I hope the management reads this because I just think with a few bits of attention this place could be really great. The building and grounds are cute but someone needs to make sure everything is organized and neat and fresh :0!! Also, I forgot at the manager sun down reception the manager was in there saying hi to evgeryone, I went in to get some water and I saw him. The thing we thought was weird is that he didnt come out where we were sitting and say hi. We joked and said we were the "outside" losers to each other. Again small detail but as a well traveled couple we thought the manager should greet ALL of his guests!! MMM. Can anyone say Emily Post???

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank sandytoes4ever
LB646, Manager at Staybridge Suites Toledo / Maumee, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Hello and thank you for your review. We are pleased to find you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks again for helping us by offering different points of feedback about our hotel. I am so sorry to hear we missed you while at our eveing reception hour. We do enjoy spending time to get to know each of our guests, and I wish we could have noticed you on the patio, and chatted. Another thank for the comment on our bed coverings. Although we have the same bed coverings as every other Staybridge, we are looking forward to next year as our hotel will convert to a new refreshed bed covering display. We hope you will be pleased with the presentation. Thanks again for your time in reviewing us. We appreciate it.