“Stay for Breakfast package - good deal if they will serve you”

Courtyard Toledo Maumee/Arrowhead
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Maumee
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We purchased the "stay for breakfast" package and we enjoyed the breakfast on Saturday morning before going to softball games. On Sunday, we went to breakfast only to find out that they had changed their hours and now closed at ten rather than eleven. The staff were still there and did allow us to get cold breakfast but they wouldn't make the grill items (i.e., french toast). When I questioned the worker about this, she (rather rudely) informed me that their hours had changed several months earlier. I mentioned to her that I had specifically looked in the hotel's book in the room and it stated that on Sunday's breakfast was served until eleven. She said that was outdated and someone would need to change that. We at least were able to get breakfast - others that came in while we were eating were refused.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
jan w, Manager at Courtyard Toledo Maumee/Arrowhead, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

We are updating our in room collateral this week to reflect the correct hours of the Bistro. I have also personally spoken to the staff and instructed them to serve any guests who come down to the Bistro with the full menu no matter what time. I sincerely appreciate your review and apologize for your inconvenience.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Toledo Maumee/Arrowhead

Reviewed July 6, 2012

The lobby has been nicely redone and the workers are very cordial. Get ready, because walking in and being greeted will be the highlight of your stay at this Courtyard. Beds cheap and not at all comfortable. The noise inside the room was very apparent at all times. Whenever another guest in the hall walked by, the room creaked noticably. The shower was exactly 6' 4", and being close to that height myself, it was a tough fit. There was rust on the ceiling as well.

The hotel has 2 things going for it - location off the expressway, and the friendly staff. But in reality, this is a $69 a night hotel that charges $109. There are better options, I'd suggest looking at them.

Room Tip: This is a 2 star hotel that charges a 3 star price.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 9999Tr_Av_El_Er

Thank you for your kind comments about our lobby and staff. Our rooms get renovated every 6 - 7 years and we are scheduled to begin in December 2012. Marriott is very commited to keeping the hotel fresh and updated. A new linen package is also arriving this fall with a new top sheet design and larger pillows. I appreciate your feedback and hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I travel extensively and stay almost exclusively at Marriott properties but will never stay at this one again. Although the lobby is up to the new Courtyard standard, the rest of the hotel is very tired and dated, and the mattresses old and uncomfortable. We stayed 2 nights. We were initially put in a room that smelled like an ashtray; they moved us to another room...which also smelled like an ashtray (though cleaning personnel vividly try to cover the smell with deodorizer, which just makes the problem worse). Apparently one-half of the 3rd floor used to be allocated smoking rooms and they have not been appropriately cleaned since the hotel converted to non-smoking. They offered to bring an ozone machine to the room when we went out to dinner, but it never happened. We had to ask again the next day - they did finally bring it, but it had marginal results. Inside the hotel is fairly quiet but outside is another story. There is a restaurant next door and at 2am both nights, we were awoken by loud screaming of profanities and partying in the restaurant parking lot, accompanied by constant beeping of car horns. The only thing keeping me from giving this hotel a terrible rating is the staff who were generally very nice, although service was marginal.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
jan w, General Manager at Courtyard Toledo Maumee/Arrowhead, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

I would like to sincerely apologize for your stay at the Maumee Courtyard and the smell of smoke in your room. The rooms have been throughly cleaned and remodeled since we went to a non-smoking hotel. The problem a arises when guests insist on smoking in the rooms. It is especially a problem on the weekends. Due to your review I will speak with the housekeeping staff to alert management with any smell of smoke. This will enable us to rid the room of the smoke odor. Please know we are scheduled to begin room renovations in December. Marriott room renovations occur every 6-7 years so the hotels can remain fresh and updated.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

This was my first stay at this Marriott property. I had made the reservation around March 6th for arrival on the 13th. On the 12th, I got an email from the hotel that informed me the lobby and restaurant were under remodel. I could have used that information well before my arrival, but as it turned out, the hotel did a good job of accommodating guests as the work crews were in the final days of the work which reportedly began back in February. Be advised, they also reported to me that guest room renovations would be starting in November 2012. The normal front entrance is currently closed and you are redirected to an alternate entrance. Check-in is accomplished shortly after you enter from there. The Market is open.

The restaurant was operational but with a limited menu. Scrambled eggs, bacon, various breads, fruit and dairy products were available. There is adequate comfortable seating. Breakfast was complimentary for guests during this period, according to the breakfast person I spoke with.

The exercise room is open and operational.

The business center is operational and adjacent to the check-in area.

My guest room was clean, fully functional and met my expectations for a Marriott property. Once again, no surprises. Wireless internet was up and running.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Just stopped overnight to get some sleep to continue the next morning so we didn't do anything else in the hotel. Didn't even turn on the tv. They are in the middle of renovating the lobby so check in was a temporary set up- I assume they will be renovating the rest of the hotel- the rooms were fine, but after having stayed in other newer Courtyards, I would have liked to see the rooms updated. That being said, they had our adjoining rooms ready when we arrived at 1 a.m., portable crib and all, and though one of the rooms was 2 Queens which is supposed to be more , we were charged the same rate for both rooms. I requested extra blankets & received them within minutes. The front desk was super nice and when I called back to check on a credit card matter, the man I spoke to was simply the friendliest person ever.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cheaptraveler08
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I've been coming here, off and on, for over 10 years. They recently remodeled and have basically everything you need in a hotel. Gym, pool, hot tub, breakfast, conference rooms...not to mention the hot cookies they put out (although i haven't seen them recently!) It's not super fancy, but they will go out of your way to make your stay pleasant. Everything is clean, neat, and the staff is super nice. I have grown to know the staff. Gwen at reception always greets you with a warm authentic smile and you can tell she cares about what she does. She has pride. John, the night shift guy, is a bit quirky, but is a true professional. I could pick up the phone at 4am and ask him what the square root of 242 is and he would figure out without hesitation. For a while, I would get a hand written note from the maid service. What a thoughtful touch. They get it that the details matter and its not about the property, its about the experience with the people. Nothing super fancy, but i will be coming here as long as I travel to Maumee. Good job guys, keep up the good work!

Room Tip: there's 2 rooms with hot tubs...be real nice on check and inquire and they might hook you up
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DoctorPoisson
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I thing that impressed me the most was the comfort of the bed and pillows. I had a great rest during the 2 nights that I stayed there.

The room was spacious and although it had a sofa and a desk - I didn't utilize them because I did everything (including, email, sending texts and watching a movie on my Ipad) from the comfort of the bed.

The breakfast buffet was alright when compared to the amount of money I spent, $9.95.

I was in a small town attending a wedding. It was quite inconvenient as far as getting there because major airlines do not fly into Toledo. I had to fly into Detroit and drive 45 minutes so again, the comfortable bed was a huge plus!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo