“Pleasure visit”

Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Mason
JOHNSTOWN
“Pleasure visit”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is easy access off the freeway ,priced right,very friendly people at the front desk and even the cleaning people were very friendly.Room was very comfortable and clean,very nice showers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I checked this site every week for three months before I left for Mason. Having read so many negative reviews of this place, I booked two other hotels just in case the Super 8 was as dreadful as stated.

In fact, it was fine during my week's stay in mid-August. The room was clean, with no random hairs/stains/spots on the linens. It was kept clean daily, the towels replenished, tub scrubbed, and surfaces wiped down. The bed was re-made with the four giant pillows provided even though I kept putting two of them on top of the TV console because there were just too many. The mattress was not uncomfortable at all. The many staff members also swept outdoor areas, including the parking lot, all day long. It was too cool to swim, but the pool area/playground was also well maintained.

My room, which was on the ground floor facing west, had an iron, ironing board, and coffee maker, and was supplied with shampoo, etc. The lobby looked just like an 80's Ozark resort, with fireplace and loft. It also had a computer and printer, free for guest use, and I printed my boarding pass there.

Lest it be thought I work for the chain, I'll include the quibbles. The carpet had a stain near the wall, but was clean -- not greasy underfoot. There was a musty smell when I walked in the room, but I opened the door, turned on the ac, and it disappeared never to return. The floor lamp did not turn on, but the others were adequate. The reception desk was somewhat stand-offish upon check-in, but everyday thereafter the female owner was helpful and smiling, giving suggestions and directions, and asking how things were going with my trip. The breakfast was ample, but carb heavy -- cereals, breads, muffins, waffles, oatmeal, peanut butter, jellies, sausage gravy, coffee, chocolate, tea, milk, juices -- no fruit. The kitchen aide worked very hard to keep it stocked and clean, and bussed the tables rapidy. Breakfast was free, unlike other more expensive hotels in town.

The only noise I experienced during the week was when a group of 20-somethings were walking back to their rooms around midnight, laughing and calling out to each other. There is a sports bar with an outdoor deck within walking distance, as well as three restaurants, so that might have accounted for it.

As for the other places I booked -- I visited one of them and cancelled in the lobby before ever checking out the Super 8, as it smelled bad and looked dirty. Then I cancelled the upscale place when I examined my room.

I could not have been happier in my stay, given that the Super 8 was so convenient to where I needed to be (which is why I booked it), and a perfectly adequate budget hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Centerville, Indiana
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Let's start with the hotel desk staff who was condescending... Wallpaper peeling off all of the walls... Mold in the bathroom area... Light that took 10 minutes to come on... Low water pressure... Possibly blood on the sides of the mattress & boxsprings... Stained carpets,,, Outdated & ripped furnishings... Mattress that felt like it was all coils... Vending machines---Ha...

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have access to your vehicle...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Mason hotels

Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Good place to stay. Bed was a little hard. Good place to watch fireworks from king's island. Good value for your money. Shower floor a little slipper they need to invest in some non-slip applicators. Other than that not a bad hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Dirty rooms , terrible beds old dirty bed spreads . We came few years ago and place was great. Obviously under new management motel is BAD. We paid 80 per night plus 15 for pet. It should be 30-40$ per night. Only good thing is to be close to kings island

• Stayed September 2012
Iowa
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I just completed a week's stay at the Super 8 in Mason. I was barely in the room other than to sleep and shower since I was attending the tennis tournament in town.

The first night or so (August 12 or 13) I had a few bites when I woke up in the morning. They were smallish and didn't itch so I didn't give it much thought and assumed there may be some mosquitoes in the room. Then later in the week I had more bites overnight. I did not speak to management as we were gone all day and sometimes until late at night at the tennis. They weren't incredibly painful so I let it go and hoped the bites would stop.

This morning (August 19) I awoke to about 100 bites all over my body. They are welts and are fiery and itchy. I had a 13 hour drive home from Mason and I am in a lot of pain.

When I checked out this morning around 8am, I told the man at the counter about my bites. I showed him a few, and said they didn't look like bedbugs. He asked if I'd been outside, and I said yes I'd been at a tennis tourney all week but certainly would have noticed if I was being stung by mosquitos. He didn't appear too concerned but I assure him they were bedbugs. I didn't ask for management as we needed to get on our way. I had no idea the pain I was going to be in as the day progressed!

I kick myself for not asking to change rooms or for something else but stay here at your own risk. I'd gladly now pay an extra $50 per night and not be covered in welts and in great pain.

The place in general is awful. I usually have pretty realistic expectations of budget accommodation, but this place I would never recommend. Do NOT stay here. Spend an extra 10-20 bucks and don't risk it. I am in agony right now.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Stephanie N
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 18, 2012

this was the first time at a hotel that i noticed stains on the sheets. they immediately changed the sheets, which were not the greatest either. the sink wasn't cleaned thoroughly when we returned late one night. the carpeting really needs to be replaced, and the coffee pot needed to be replaced. if it is new ownership, they better get their act together and clean this place up! it's a great location for Kings Island and the ATP tennis tour.

Room Tip: if you have to stay there, advise them ahead of time that you want new,clean sheets.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple