“Good location, good value”

Holiday Inn Express Suites Mason
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Mason
“Good location, good value”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The rooms were very large with a couch and kings sized bed, with lots of space between bed and tv/dresser. Bed was clean and room seemed to be very clean. Only disappointmet was the bathroom. The shower had stains on the tub floor, the shower curtain was a little dirty and we had to wipe off the yellow stained toilet seat. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. We had a late check in after a long day Kings Island, but the staff was very friendly and got us checked in quickly. Breakfast was what is to be expected for this typed of hotel. The cinammon rolls were very good as was the pancake machine, only it kept breaking and the attendant didn't seem to know how to fix it. They really needed a second breakfast attendant as the lady was trying to keep up with the food, but she didn't have time to clean up all the spilled cereal, trash, and crumbs on the floor. It made for a messy breakfast area. Another employee on breakfast detail would solve this problem. Overall, I would stay here again, only if the Hilton Garden across the street is full again, as it was this time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Mason, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you for your feedback about the hotel. I would like to address some of your concerns about the hotel. Some of our tubs do have a yellowing rust stain to them. This is a manufacturer defect. The hotel is only 4 years old and we realize that this is not something that should be happening. We are working with the company to get these replaced. We have brought your housekeeping issues to the staff and we have retrained. I can assure that my housekeepers are very concerned when they get issues like this. They take a lot of pride in their rooms. The pancake machine is pretty cool. We love it, however it is challenging at times. I am glad you got to enjoy some while you we here. This hotel is very busy because we are located only one exit away from the amusement park named King's Island. We try accomdate a lot of guests for breakfast each day. I apologize that we did not have someone in that day with our breakfast lady. We do normally try to prepare for these events. Once again I appreciate all the feedback. We strive everyday to make our hotel the best. We hope to see you again next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is one of my favorite Cincinnati area hotels. The suites are comfortable, spacious and clean. Service from the staff was great-- each need I had was handled quickly and with a smile. There is a small "store" with snacks, etc., and an indoor pool & workout room. Breakfasts were average-- the rolls were often a bit stale. Parking can be challenging-- most of the spaces are a bit of a walk from the door. This is a newer property with the amenities you'd expect-- flat screens, etc. You won’t go wrong staying here. All in all a great choice!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jelliott01
Thank you so much for staying with us when you make your business trip to Mason, Ohio. We enjoy seeing the same guests time after time. You have been loyal to us and we appreciate that. I understand parking can be challenging when we are located in such a corporate central area. Our hotel fills up fast and I know some of the spaces in the back are far to walk from. We do have staff that can help at anytime to carry any luggage you may have in the near of future. Thank you for bringing the breakfast rolls to my attention. It is often that we try to rotate our stock to provide the freshest quality at all times. I will continue to monitor and see if there is anything I can change. Once again we appreciate all the nice things you have said about our hotel and staff. I have passed your comments to my staff as well because they truly take pride in what they do. We will see you next time while your in town. Thank you for your business and loyality to our hotel.
Casale Litta, Italy
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This is a wonderful, if simple, hotel in the strip between 71 and 75 in Mason, Ohio. It's near a Graeter's ice cream, so that is an easy draw. The staff are very nice and professional.

Room Tip: Get an upgraded room. It's a welcome luxury.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. The Graeter's Ice Cream which is famous to Cincinnati is a definite plus that is located in our parking lot. We often spoil our lunch or dinner with their ice cream. We are so glad you got to taste the true ice cream of Cincinnati. Thank you for your loyality within Holiday Inn Express hotels. We hope to see you back soon here to stay with us and of course get some of the yummy ice cream!
Spokane, WA
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This is a newer HIE that sits between an older Hyatt Place and a newer Hilton Garden Inn, with a Graeter's ice cream parlor in the large connected parking lot between the three hotels. Hopefully having three similar class hotels for travelers to choose from will mean healthy competition and appropriate attention to detail. Other than being relatively new, it is comparable to other HIE properties I have stayed at. The breakfast is what you'd expect (I think they did have two automated pancake machines, for what it's worth) and the rooms offer no surprises, good or bad.

Ample parking, roomy breakfast area, and clean. One nice perk: the large TV screen opposite the front desk includes a listing of departing flights for CVG (and also DAY, not sure...?) which appears to be a feed from the airport system. Very convenient if you are leaving for the airport at check-out.

Side note: I wish hotel designers/builders would get a clue and include an outlet that accommodates FOUR plugs at the nightstand rather than two. Whenever I find that I know they were thinking. If the alarm clock and lamp fill the outlet, people who like to charge a smartphone on the night stand (or use a CPAP, etc.) have to unplug one or both to use the plug. The lamp was already unplugged when I arrived, so I know this is so common that housekeeping staff aren't even bothering to plug it back in between guests.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ERIC L
Traci-GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Mason, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about our hotel. We did recently get two pancake machines to handle the big crowds we have here on the weekends since we are so close to King's Island. We are only an exit away from King's Island so we stay very busy when the park opens. To address your concerns with the outlets on the wall is something I will pass along to the owners that are always looking to build new hotels. I know they appreciate any feedback as well. We hope you come back and join us again at the hotel and even for the yummy Grater's Ice Cream located in our parking lot. We hope you had a wonderful time here and look forward to having you back.
Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
Reviewed May 5, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express in Mason, OH was pleasant, but average. We chose the property on price alone-reserved through Priceline for $69. I heard another person checking in paid $139? We arrived during a rain storm and the property had suffered a computer outage as a result of a nearby lightning strike. At the time, there were a lot of parents and soccer players in town for a tournament, so needless to say there was a lot of activity in the lobby. The room was clean and the bathroom very tidy, but in checking the cabinets found garbage from a previous guest's stay and no linens for the sleeper sofa, which I had to go to the lobby to get, and made up the bed myself. The desk staff was courteous, and willing to help.

The breakfast was very nice with a selection of cold cereal, hot cinnamon rolls, a fun pancake maker, yogurt, fruit, hot omlettes, sausage, biscuits and gravy and a selection of coffee and juices. Pretty nice for a quicky breakfast. The one thing that irked me was that the staff working in the breakfast area was talking on their cell phone using their Bluetooth device in fairly loud voice in and amongst the guests, while trying to replenish the food. They seemed more focused on their conversation than their job and service to the guests. Poor training?

Overall, because the property seems to be set up for business travelers, it does lack some of the ambience that the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hyatt Place have (both not 50 yards away), both of which I have stayed at, but it was pleasant, clean and the breakfast was nice. If I had anything to suggest, it would be a little more attention to detail, other than that a nice property.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor. Seemed nice.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tallyho078
Thank you for your feedback regarding my hotel. We take pride in what our guests want. I am glad you brought to my attention about my employee and her phone. I can assure we have re-trained on this issue and it will not be an issue again. We appreciate the great comments you said about our free hot breakfast. We continue to make sure we strive to assure each and every guest enjoys their stay. I know arriving on that night was a little hectic. We thank you for being patient with us. We look forward to having you again soon. I hope this time Mother Nature can be a little nicer to us. Thank you again for your comments.
Galion, Ohio
Reviewed December 26, 2011

The Holiday Inn Express Suites in Mason Ohio was clean but our overall experience was nothing more than average. Here are a couple of things we noticed: The staff was about average when it came to being friendly. The breakfast area in the morning was not well attended and we were there shortly after available at around 6:15 AM. The pool maintenance was also not up to par. The room was clean and the appearance of the hotel overall was clean.

Room Tip: Don’t bother with the extra expense of getting a room with the whirlpool. The whirlpool is very sm...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Traci-GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Mason, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback about my hotel. I would first like to apologize for just being average. We strive everyday as a whole staff to be above average in all departments. I know your concerns about the jacuzzi tubs. We have built them to the standard for Holiday Inn Express as a whole. I realize with how spacious each our rooms are they do look small. I have addressed each of your concerns with my front desk staff and maintenance. I encourage you to stay with us again. We have had some new and exciting changes that I think you would like. If you do have any issues, please let a manager on duty know and I can assure you we will correct your issues right away. Thank you again for your feedback.
michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I had stayed at this hotel 3 times in 3 consecutive yrs. The first 2 times were excellent from service to location, the last time (August of 2011) was not as good. I'm a platium priority club member and reserved the room months in advance and noted during time of booking that I was requesting a room on a high floor but when I checked in I was told nothing is available except the ground floor even though they had already set aside a room ready for me the whole day. The checkin agent was not very nice about it either. It was like too bad we don't have it, deal with it. So ok I went along cuz I had a long day and just wanted to check in but then the next day I asked if something opened up and the got the same response, nope they got nothing. For a hotel with a couple hundred rooms (I think), that seemed odd. Anyway, I came back because of the prior 2 yrs good experiences. I will have to seriously rethink this hotel the next time I'm in town. There are choices I'll definitely look into.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Traci-GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Mason, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Greenstar,

I appreciate you bringing this feedback to my attention. August is a very busy month for our hotel due to the location being so close to the Pro tennis tournament we have every year. We do our absolute best to make sure that Platinum members requests are honored. I can ensure that if it was not available it was due to how many guests we had booking suites which are located on the upper floors. We have 106 rooms at this hotel and we do our best to honor the special requests you may have, I apologize that you feel the situation wasn't handled correctly and I will make sure I address this with my staff. We hope to serve you again in the future and please if you have any issues please let a manager know so we can take care of addressing your concerns in a more efficient matter. We hope that you will come back next time.

Thank you for your loyality with Holiday Inn Express!