“One of the best family treasures.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kirkwood Inn

and 1 more site!
Kirkwood Inn
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Mason
“One of the best family treasures.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were able to book quickly without being overcharged for last minute reservations. The room was clean and very comfortable with luxurious linens. The kids slept very well after a few hours in their pool. The breakfast is very satisfying for the whole family with the fruit filled bread pudding being at the top of our list. Its nice to be out of the downtown area but still close to enjoy the necessities. I would not hesitate to stay here again. I highly recommend this place not only for the comfort and convenience but for the history and serenity it has to offer.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Kent, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was able to book a room for two nights only one day in advance. I was impressed with the website, was cordially greeted and had my questions answered when I called on the phone, and I received a confirmation email as soon as I booked online and then a second welcome email the next morning. The room was clean, the water hot (with excellent water pressure in the shower), and it was very quiet despite other travelers out and about (e.g., in the pool in the early evening). I enjoyed a stroll through the flower garden after I checked in. The breakfast was great: a good selection of hot and cold foods, tidy serving area, and a wonderful back-in-time eating area. This was a comfortable and very affordable stay. I will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We planned a 2-day/3-night trip to Kings Island Amusement Park. During a prior trip we stayed at a Super 8 chain motel and were extremely disappointed. We were determined to find something reasonably priced but much better and we did!

Kirkwood Inn is conveniently located near Kings Island and a large outlet mall. The rooms are nicely decorated, comfortable and clean. The Inn is set slightly away from traffic noises. Outdoor pool is crystal clear with plenty of tables & chairs to enjoy the sun.

The best part of our stay was enjoying a full complimentary breakfast at the 1790s era Kirkwood House located across the parking lot from the Inn. Fresh fruit salad, biscuits And sausage gravy, to-die-for bread pudding, pastries and breads galore, eggs, corned beef hash, ham, oatmeal, cinnamon apples, yogurt...even cereal and pop tarts! You can dine inside at tablecloth covered tables or sit in the garden and enjoy the peace of early morning.

Our 13 and 10 year old sons absolutely LOVED this place. We will definitely stay here every time we are in the Cincinnati-Mason area.

Amy and Glenn M.
Toledo, OH

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I booked some very unfavorable rooms. I then placed a call looking for another place. Something better for comfort of sleeping in a cleaner environment. The man that answered was very professional and I was able to get a lady minute room. He was very patient with giving me directions from the location I was at to his hotel.

Keys were waiting. Rollaway bed was already in room. The next morning we also had breakfast in this very quaint house that the hotel provides as part of the price. The gardens to the home was a beautiful touch! Our family now has this place to look forward each year when visiting Kings Island. I totally recommend to families.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carol B
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our stay at the Kirkwood Inn was a delight. When I called to make reservations and asked for a confirmation number, I was told, “We know our customers by name not by a number. My name is Sandy.” Impressive! From the moment you arrive you are treated like you are the most important person there. The historic Kirkwood Inn boasts 200 years of beauty and elegance and has quite an impressive history on its original stage coach trail. The grounds of historic Kirkwood Inn are lush with a meandering cottage garden overflowing with a multitude and varieties of flowers and garden statues. The gazebo is gorgeous with huge ferns and rocking chairs. The guest rooms are the cleanest hotel rooms I have seen anywhere. Truly spotless! The hotel portion of the grounds is really tidy from the parking lot area to the little covered picnic area. The building is a colonial, two stories, with comfortable wooden benches outside your door allowing you to sit, relax and look at the gardens or to visit with others as they walk by. The pool area is lovely with a white wooden picket fence and is surrounded by lavender. The pool is sparkling blue, clean and deep! What a joy for a hot day! Every member of the staff we met spoke to us and asked if there was anything we needed. Co-owner and son, David, proudly told of the history of the Kirkwood Inn and of the labor of love that it had taken to restore the original Inn. When you stay there you are treated to a full breakfast of tasty delicacies you simply can’t refuse. It is a hot, homemade breakfast including: blueberry bread pudding, peach butter, poppy seed muffins, fresh fruits, sausage gravy with homemade biscuits, eggs etc. all made in view of the lovely formal dining room in the historic inn. The price of breakfast for all the guests staying in your room is included in your room fee. This is also a kid friendly place. I thank Sandy and David and the staffs for making our vacation stay such a pleasant experience. It could not have been nicer. Oh, yes, and free Wifi. It is no wonder this quaint little place has such high ratings. Stay there, where you are known by name and relax a little.

Room Tip: Loved staying on the historic side of grounds overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

i was expecting a little more from the place, but overall was a good place, the breakfast is good but not like in the pictures, was very clean, quiet and easy to find. the staff was welcoming, we stayed 3 nights there

Room Tip: personally I like to be close to the pool and love the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Angel G
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I picked the Kirkwood Inn because I wanted a place to stay in Mason, and I couldn't find a reservation with the rest of my family at other big name hotels. It was a good choice. I especially liked the well cared-for grounds, the beautiful garden, the main house, and the 6:30-10:00 breakfast.I didn't bring my suit, but the pool looked inviting. My room was fairly standard. The pillows, sheets, and duvet were very comfortable!! Lighting very good. The staff was very welcoming and nice. There was a slight motel smell in the room, and the tub floor was a bit old looking, kind of grayish. I wanted to open the window, but could not. Other than that, I was completely satisfied. I would take a room on the other side, not near the pool, next time. The second floor would be good, too.

Room Tip: Choose a second floor room on the side away from the pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo