“The right place to stay”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Mason/Kings Island
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was looking for an inexpensive, clean, well-maintained place to stay for a two day visit to Kings Island. Found exactly that here. Comfy beds, quiet rooms, and extremely clean. All at a great price. No pool, but who needs that when you're spending the day at the park?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DebiandJohn

Reviewed July 22, 2012

My fiance' and a couple of friends stayed here this past weekend. Had a very nice time! The room was not huge and didn't fully reflect the pictures put online but that was no problem. The most important thing to us was that it was clean and it was most certainly that. Sheets, towels, bathroom...everything clean. The bed was actually very comfortable and we slept well. Even better is that it's pet friendly as our friends brought their dogs. We would definitely stay again. Great stay for a great price!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Comfortable, new inside, easy to get to from I74.

It's a classic european type of hotel. No lift (elevator), 2 floors, small rooms with really, really efficient layout and lots of flat surfaces to sit on and put your stuff on. Squeaky clean, new bed, nice shower. A/C worked fine (it was *hot* outside), staff was friendly.

Only gripe was TV only had about 5 channels. But we got there at about 9:30 after meeting family there, left at 7AM. Fantastic night's sleep.

Price was very good for directly adjacent to an amusement park. It was even good for not next to an amusement park. Not as cheap as a budget place, but very, very comfortable and reasonable for what it was.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank retired_old_jj
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Me and my husband got a room and we got 2 more rooms for 3 teenage girls and 3 teenage boys and the air conditioner in both rooms didn't work. It was 104 outside and they wanted cool rooms. So my husband went down to the desk and told them and the man at the counter said sir its 104 outside its gonna be hot. So we ask them to come take a look at it anyway, it was hot in those rooms, but our room was cool. They said they would take a look at it, but never came up, after two hours my husband went back down ask for another room and they moved they boys to another room and sent someone up to look at air in girls room. Said they could change out the air conditioner if we wanted to go to dinner for a couple hours and then come back. We said no we had dinner and kids wanted to rest for night, so we insisted they move girls to another room or give us a refund on all three rooms and we would leave. So they found girls another room. The beds were so comfortable and rooms clean. However, there were no hair dryers in room, no shampoo or lotions, no iron or coffee pot, like most hotels and coffee in lobby was ice cold and there was only two cokes in vending machine and 1 bag of chips. My husband took my daughter to the store to get drinks. It looked like someone had ran into the side of the building and they had it caution taped off. If they would make a few changes to accomodate people more this would have been a more pleasant trip for us all. But when you pay over $ 350.00 dollars for three rooms, you expect the rooms to be in good working order when you get there. We will not stay there next time.

Room Tip: Single rooms are very small there.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ruth R
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We were looking for a cheap overnight stay in the Mason / Morrow area. The room was very tight for four, but met our needs. Mildly disappointed at no pool, but many families staying there are likely visiting the water park at Kings Island across the highway. Noted a few imperfections in the wallpaper, and the room had a musty smell that would have benefited from an aggressive pine-scented cleaning. Breakfast offerings were decent enough. Note -- no elevator...non-ambulatory guests will need to specify the first floor.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east get both morning sun and highway noise - recommend west-facing rooms
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2012

When we entered our room we did realize the shower head was broken (the bracket that attached it to the wall was broken, so you would have had to hold it to take a shower). So I told the front desk clerk, I think her name was Helena, and she was SO SO SO nice about it! She found us a new room right away, and even offered to help move our stuff! She then checked in to make sure everything was ok with this room. I was very pleased with the room, very clean. I would stay here again, esp considering the clerk was so helpful. I have not experienced good customer service like that in a long time! She was even cleaning the lobby when I arrived and apologized for being in my way (which she wasn't) and that was great to see a employee actively doing something! Great stay!!! Reading other reviews, I personally don't care what the TV looks like or the decor (which was very neutral, I don't know what was outdated). I personally look for a quiet, CLEAN room when staying at a hotel. There was also shampoo you just had to ask for it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I was very reserved, but choices were limited. Upon entrance to the lobby, I was a little more at ease. It appeared to be clean, and the front desk was organized, ready to go. The gentleman was pleasant, presentable and professional... at 1:00 AM.

I was given my room card, and on my way. The room was #209, with 2 Queen beds, non-smoking. No Kings were available. I couldn't find the ice machine on the floor, so, found it on the 1st, along with vending machines for soda and chips. Unlike the 2nd floor, the 1st floor had a definite odor of smoke. My room was VERY clean, the sheets and pillow cases had a decorative banding/edging, and was visually appealing. There are an assortment of pillows-- some soft, some firm. They seem OK, but, I brought my own, as I'm on a road trip.

The furniture is less than average, but i wasn't expecting Henredon, Baker, or Karges... The full 3' banding wall of smoke glass mirrors as a headboard was OK, again, dated. It could be really interesting if taken up a notch...

The bathroom is adequate. Nothing special, but everything is clean. I've been mortified by other hotel bathrooms in much nicer chains, at 4X the price. So, this brings the winning trump card of this review. The price was $50. Are you kidding? It's a no brainer. They have a breakfast included in the price as well.

I can't pass commenting on the room service menu... There are about 17 appetizer choices, 10 soups/salads, 9 sandwich choices, 12 Pastas, 3 Calzones, and 11 varieties of pizza. It makes you wonder if there's a restaurant in the same building, but there isn't.

In summery, I have to give this place two thumbs up. No question about it.

Stayed: April 2012