“My home away from home”

The Wildflower Cafe
Ranked #4 of 159 Restaurants in Mason
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The owner/chef Todd Hudson uses locally grown ingredients to create fresh and very delicious dishes. He has won several awards. It is in a beautiful old home and they serve locally roasted coffee and locally bottled wines. It is a wonderful place.
Reviewed November 17, 2012

By pure luck, my two employees and I stumbled on this restaurant during our extensive stay in the Mason area for work this summer. What we thought would be a nice dinner away from the hotel became a weekly event (at minimum). Basically, something cheerful to help make our stay away from home a little better. As my employees time in Mason came to an end, my dining experiences at Wildflower became more frequent. It was so nice to have a place where I could dine by myself, but not feel alone. I never felt out of place dining by myself! The team made me feel welcome and so very spoiled. I never dreamed that I would become so connected to the Wildflower team and I will always remember the hospitality that was given to me. Todd, Brittney, Alan, and Tessa will always have a special place in my heart (I haven't had much interaction with the others, but I am sure they are wonderful too). This cafe has that 'X-Factor' that so many restaurants are lacking today.

From early June - August, I visited at least 20 times. Business brought me back to the Mason area Thursday and Friday (11/15 & 11/16), so I was able to enjoy back to back visits with my friends. The menu changes seasonally, so it is difficult to become bored (one reason why I visited so frequently).

I can safely say that every dish I ordered at Wildflower has been absolutely wonderful. I did take a few pics along the way, so I will attempt to load some of the pics later. For dinner, I tried practically every dish (Jerk Pork, Gravel Knolls Chicken with Puff Pastry, Ravioli with Balsamic Reduction, and countless beef and fish dishes). The salad is great (maybe because it is so fresh) and the cheeseboard is wonderful. A few times during the end of my stay, they had a mouthwatering Gumbo with Dirty Rice. I'm such a fan that I am trying to replicate it at home. I did have a few opportunities to enjoy lunch too. The grilled cheese is mouthwatering, the burger is the best I have ever had, and the quiche was amazing.

My dinner Thursday night was Butternut Ravioli with a Chardonnay sauce. It was like nothing I have had before. Simply delightful! Before driving home Friday, I enjoyed dinner again. This time I had Almond Crusted Trout with Risotto and Broccoli, along with a Wildflower salad. The trout was cooked perfectly, as always. This establishment is all about taking time out to relax and enjoy your meal. I love that.

What about the beer and wine? I have to say that I have enjoyed my fair share during my visits. I just love that everything on tap is a craft beer. I believe they have 6 on tap at any given time. The selections change frequently, but I was always able to find at least one that I enjoyed (I love Belgium's/Wheat's/Pale Ale's). If you enjoy wine, I highly recommend ordering one made by Burnet Ridge. I had the pleasure of having dinner when the winemaker was dining. Let me tell you how wonder those conversations were! I like both reds and whites, so I did sample some of each along the way. My favorite red is the Purple Trillium. As for white, the Pinot Gris is my favorite.

For those of you who are local, give this restaurant a try. You will not regret it! Don't forget to make reservations.

There are newer reviews for The Wildflower Cafe

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Keep your business local, and enjoy some organic, local ingredients in a warm atmosphere.

Dinning area is small, but they just expanded, so it's cozy. Great for lunch, delicious salads, soups and sandwiches that are a bit out of the ordinary.

Nice selection of wines too. Cheff Todd does a wonderful job with the menu.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I travel to Mason often and it is the mecca of fast food, everybody is there and the roads are lined for miles and miles with formulaic offerings of unbelievably bad food.Trying to find anywhere at all that serves real food in a real environment is practically impossible. Wildflower Cafe is not only the antithesis of fast food but could easily stand up as somewhere special to eat in London, Paris or New York. The quality of the locally and lovingly sourced organic food is outstanding and the ambience is a breath of fresh air being unpretentious, relaxed and charmingly rustic. The staff are really knowledgeable about both the food and wine and every time I have been there were ingredients on the menu that I had never heard of. Highly recommended if you want a genuine experience and support 'Slow Food' ideals.

1  Thank Marina L
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I are always on the look-out for new dining experiences. We dined at the Wildflower Cafe in Mason, Oh on Friday the 26th of October. By their own admission the cafe is a "work in progress." Currently the owners are in the process of renovating an old house on Main St in Mason, OH. They are to be commended for their efforts. My wife and I discovered a treasure to which we will return. We loved the cafe from the moment we entered. I, for one, can see that in a few months/years they will have accomplished their dreams for the Cafe. I am pleased to write this review. I believe the young couple deserve the best in their efforts to bring to fruition their dream for their cafe. The service was great, the waitress very friendly, the meal was scrumptious, dessert very tasty. I would definitely give the Wildflower Cafe a "thumbs up." On top of everything, the owners are very interested in establishing great relationships with existing businesses in their community, as well in the surrounding region. Having read some of the other reviews I am a taken back a little with some of the remarks folk have made. I certainly hope that those who took the effort to "pan" the cafe will think about their words and give the Cafe a second chance. If not they ,by all means, should not return!

1  Thank duke-duchess
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Was in the restaurant about 2 years ago and it was a totally charming place to eat . At that time Red Hat groups were welcome and a little more variety to the menu. Called the manager the next day to see if anyone else had expeience any stomach issues after eating the hamburger and was told no way it could be the beef. One of the ladies burger was not cooked to well done was told he took a picture it was well done, she could not eat her meal. I guess it's a difference in opinion of well done. Limited menu selections, does not cater to large groups, does not accept Red Hat Groups, this was an exception. In the manager's word, "he knew there would be complaints".

3  Thank redhatmakz