“Good Rates, Strawberries and Disappointment”

Hilton Garden Inn Cincinnati/Mason
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Galion, Ohio
“Good Rates, Strawberries and Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Dear Hilton Management,

I wish I were writing to tell you how you exceeded our expectations on a recent family trip in which we stayed at your Hilton Garden Inn located in Mason, Ohio. Unfortunately, you were unable this time to even meet our expectations. First, I want to give some credit to LaQuinta who did inquire as we were checking out this morning as to the quality of our stay. When I told her, “ok” she pressed a bit and my wife explained the circumstances of our stay. We don’t think she really had the authority to offer us anything in terms of a future stay or discount on our stay, etc. – but she did apologize and indicated to us that she would personally follow-up.

Here is our story: We arrived at check-in and immediately after taking our name to look up our reservation, the first comment out of the front desk person was “how did you get that rate?” I asked if this was a good thing or bad thing but he seemed shocked that it was good rate and somehow we had gotten it. Fortunately, the attendant next to him spoke up and said it was a new rate and we completed our check-in. The conversation just did not set well and then we had to further prod as breakfast was to be included in our stay when we booked. Eventually we got this straight.

We went upstairs to find that our rooms were not connecting as we had requested in our reservation. This was important because we were traveling with our family and have kids. Going back downstairs in an attempt to work this out, the first response from this same front desk person was “we don’t have them.” I insisted that they do have them just as requested since we stayed in a nearly identical property in Loveland, Ohio about a month ago or so. Fortunately again for us the other attendant said “let me run upstairs” and then he called down and we were given a couple of rooms that connected.

We went upstairs and went about our evening. Our family went down to the pool and my wife and I were out on the patio when a member of your staff came out to smoke. He did ask if it was ok but what are you really going say but we’re guessing that if he needed smoke Hilton probably does not want him out in the patio where guests are hanging out. It was closest door to the front desk.

The next morning our stay got even more bizarre. While having breakfast my daughter noticed that there were strawberries on my plate as a garnish. She wanted a small dish of strawberries so my wife asked for a small dish. The restaurant personnel told her that “we don’t serve those to guests?” What?? Fortunately she was overheard by another staff member who took charge and took care of us. She was great help and we left her a good tip for helping us out.

Now, your property is very clean and well maintained and our second day was much better. The food was good and waitress that helped us out in the morning both days was super. I wish I would have remembered her name so you could recognize her as well. The beds were very nice and comfortable. We stay at a lot of hotels everywhere from the Ritz Carleton to Hilton Properties, etc. but this was a real let down. You missed it Hilton – sorry.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Adam R, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cincinnati/Mason, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
I would like to start out by saying thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Whether positive or negative we welcome feedback as it allows us to improve our overall level of service and product.

I can assure you that we do not encourage the actions and lack of service that you experienced. As a Hilton property we strive to exceed our competition in all categories and we strive to provide you with the experience and satisfaction that you come to expect when choosing to stay at a Hilton. I would agree with you that in this situation we completely dropped the ball and for that I apologize.

We sincerely hope that this situation does not deter you from choosing to stay with us again during your next visit to the Mason area. We would really like to have an opportunity to provide you and your family with the experience and memories that you were looking for.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Easy to find. Super easy check in and check out. All smiles from everyone there!!! Will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Adam R, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cincinnati/Mason, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
It is great to see such positive comments. Thank you very much for submitting your feedback about our staff. It is true, we are very easy to find and conveniently located to a major highway, many restaurants, and can't forget to mention Kings Island Amusement Park. We look forward to providing you with an equal if not better experience the next time you visit.

Have a great day!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

This is a very nice HGI. It looks modern and new.very nice I would recommend highly in mason.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. We are a very new hotel. We opened in February of 2010 and we are still continuing to upgrade and make improvements. We look forward to your next visit to the Mason area.

Thank you!!!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I had a great stay here May 11-13th. The room was large and offered everything I needed to do my work. Great desk with plenty of outlets to charge my phone, ipod and computer. The wireless worked great. The location was perfect, near shopping, restaurants, the highway, and all the places I needed to go. The breakfast in the lobby was excellent and the service at the restaurant and the front desk was perfect. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ManagerSoBe
Adam R, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cincinnati/Mason, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
FANTASTIC!!!! Thank you very much for the kind words. It is great to see such positive feedback about our overall property and our staff. They will be very happy to hear the compliments. We look forward to your next visit to the Mason area and look forward to providing you with an equally great experience, if not better.

Have a great day!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a couple nights while checking out the sights in Cincinnati and Louisville, KY. The hotel is in a good location near a lot of restaurants, and only about 20 minutes from Cincinnati. The rooms were clean, although they have a knockoff of the sleep number bed which was not the most comfortable. Overall though, I enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to others going there.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Correll0415
Adam R, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cincinnati/Mason, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
We greatly appreciate the positive comments you gave us. We take great pride in providing an upscale clean, quality facility for our guests to enjoy. The Garden Sleep System beds are specific to Hilton Garden Inn properties. When adjusting the dials properly people usually really enjoy the beds. I apologize you did not find the beds satisfactoy.

We look forward to your next visit to the Mason area!
Liberty Township, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

This rooms here are very comfortable and perfect for stretching out. However, the noise level is a little distracting and the housekeeping staff do not coordinate well with the front desk. I had to ask for them to come to the room to clean one day and the next day (when I had a late checkout) they tried to enter the room 3 times (once while I was in the shower!). The business center is very well equipped and available 24 hours a day.

Everyone is very friendly (especially the front desk staff whom I absolutely adored) and eager to please. They just need to work on coordinating guests requests for housekeeping with the correct people to ensure that the requests are met. I think a little training here would be the fix.

Overall, we had a very good stay and will absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Adam R, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cincinnati/Mason, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our front desk staff. We truly value comments like yours because it provides us with an opportunity to grow and improve, ultimately leading to to a better experience for you, our guest.

Thank you again, and we look forward to your return visit!
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

My girl friend recoomended this hotel for us so she decided to book 2 rooms for my families and hers. Located just outside the city, this lodging truly meet my expectation . After long day at Kings Island, Ikea and Entertainment Junction, it was such a wonderful experienced relaxing at the spacious comfy adjusted mattress and using their indoor jacuzzi, swimming pool and fitness center the next day. We also happened to get their yummy cookies prior to check in.
We really enjoyed our stay and highly recommended this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Adam R, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cincinnati/Mason, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive comments. We truly do appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback that I will be sure to share with the staff. We pride ourselves in providing a clean, comfortable, relaxing enviornment, and after a long day like you had we expect to live up to your expectations. We are happy your experience was a positive one and we look forward to your next visit.

Thank you again!