“This place was so much fun for adults and kids!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We have stayed here a couple times, and usually bring the young kids in our family. The rooms are very spacious and really cool. The kids loved that they had their own beds in the loft. The pool area was keep and always saw lifeguards on duty which makes me feel a bit safer. The kids had a great time playing and the adults even went down a couple slides! It is also really convenient that they have a couple restaurants and a pizza place in the hotel. This allows us to stay in one place for the whole day. Love it here.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,666)

Reviewed August 29, 2009

My family has stayed in this hotel several times over the last three years and I must say, it is always wonderful! Many times people write reviews about a place they have only visited once and I am often skeptical it was a fluke - especially when I read negative reviews. This hotel is ALWAYS wonderful! We have NEVER had any problems. The three features that make it stand out are 1. If you get there before your room is ready, you can still use the waterpark (included in room price) until it is ready. We usually get there around 9am and the kids play in the waterpark all day. 2. MagiQuest game is awesome! It does cost about $25, but kids from about 5 - 12 love it and once you purchase your "magic wand" you can reactivate it on future visits for only $10 and it can be used at other MagiQuest locations. 3. It is very aesthetically pleasing in every way. The exterior of the hotel is beautiful and very, very clean. The entire hotel is wonderfully decorated with both lodge-like decor as well as MagiQuest props. The rooms are warm and inviting and the beds are clean and comfortable. I would definitely recommend spending the extra money to get the KidCamp or KidCabin Suites. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
cfranklingw2005, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2009

WOW...What a wonderful compliment. I am happy to hear about your loyalty to our Brand. Great Wolf Lodge- Mason, OH is pleased to have your continued support. I am guessing by now that all members of your family are Master Magi! Hopefully you will be able to make another trip to visit for our Snowland celebration that will kick off December 4. It sounds like you have stayed many times and let me tell you, Snowland is the most magical time of the year at the lodge. Continue to watch the website for more details on events. I truly hope you have the opportunity to come during this time.
Very Sincerely,
Terrie Zajo

Reviewed August 23, 2009

We had a blast! We stayed one night and wished we could have stayed another night. My husband and I were so pleased how the staff was so helpful and they really seemed to enjoy their jobs. This started at the front desk to the young man that was cleaning to the life guards to the waitress. I am usually very picky and hard to please and I was just looking for something to go wrong and it did not. One tip to save money is to pack a lunch you will have a fridge in the room and you can save a ton on snacks and stuff if you bring your own. You can't take in the water park itself but you can keep it your room.

1  Thank tinkerboo77
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Lodge is fantastic. You can make a vacation out of this alone. The staff, waterpark and facilities are amazing. Skip Magiquest, it is overpriced and frustrating. Go midweek for less "noise". Take earplugs, your own soap, and a pillow. Noise travels into room from hall, I always take my own soap, and the pillows are overstuffed. Be sure to build a bear, the lady who does this is very nice. The hotel restaurant is a bit pricey and the food is mediocre at best. I recommend traveling to exit 19 off 71 and visit MiMi's cafe. Check out the link http://www.mimiscafe.com. The buffet at the restaurant has a good breakfast and allow you to take fruit with you for later day snacking. If I can help with pretrip planning, feel free to contact me!

1  Thank kc040378
Reviewed August 20, 2009

This hotel was AWESOME !!! The atmosphere was perfect, there is so much to do, you will never be bored. We stayed Sun-Wed, and it was very quiet. There was hardly any lines at the slides, pool was empty, not crazy anywhere- even the arcade.This is a MAJOR improvement over our stay at Kalahari last year. The only complaint would be the quality of the food in the Loose Moose . It was overpriced and food was not good. But there are a ton of places to eat around the area where you can get better food for your money. The beds are VERY firm too, but the room is so neat that it was easily overlooked. Other scomplained about the lifeguards, and they must have fixed that because they were all very nice. Our party ranged from 1-61 in age and everyone was happy. We will be back !!!

Reviewed August 19, 2009

Just returned from a one-night stay with my husband and three children, ages 20, 16, and 12. I had heard that the waterpark was more for younger children so I was hesitant to book this hotel, thinking we might get bored quickly. Boy was I wrong! We LOVED the waterpark, staying nearly 6 hours. It is certainly not just for younger kids. The slides are awesome, especially the Hydroplunge coaster. (I could've ridden that all day.) I haven't laughed...or screamed...that much in a long time!

(On a side note, there were a few children wanting to ride Hydroplunge but they had no one to ride with. You can only ride single if you are over a certain weight. The attendant will ask others in line to pair up with them. (You can ride 3 to a raft.) PLEASE say yes if you are asked. I actually saw a couple of folks say no. Shame on them! Every child deserves to ride and have fun. It's not their fault they have no one to ride with.)

Back to the review...The water temp for the slides and activity pools was very warm and relaxing. The wave pool was a bit chilly. Not uncomfortable, just cooler than the other sections of the park. All the lifeguards were alert and friendly. I asked a few questions and they happily replied. I like the size of this park. Not huge, but not tiny. It was just perfect to split up and ride different things, but still be able to find each other fairly quickly.

I loved the decor in the hotel. In some ways, it reminded me of Disney, in that there was great detail in the little things. (carved lamps, pictures, etc.) Little kids would overlook this stuff (just like at Disney) but adults who appreciate atmospheric details will certainly enjoy themselves.

The queen beds were comfy and the family suite room was a good size for my family of 5. My 20 yr.old son slept on the pull-out sofa and said it was very comfortable. The balcony is a little small but is nice overall and offers good views of Kings Island. We didn't eat in any of the restaurants except Pizza Hut Express. (Very good pizza.)

If I could suggest anything to make this place even better than it already is, it would be to add a couple of slides to the outside pool. Nothing extreme, just some basic slides. The pool is pretty, but there's not much to do. After about a half hour, we went back in and spent the rest of our time in the waterpark.

Overall, we certainly enjoyed our time here and will probably visit again next year.

Reviewed August 11, 2009

We visited on a Friday night two weeks ago, on our way home from a hockey camp in Oxford, OH. I booked a special "Great Summer Rate" on the internet $334.95 plus tax for a KidKamp suite (2 adults and 3 children). Given that entertainment was incl. I thought it was a decent rate. Where you can go wrong is all the add-ons. Just say no! At check-in, they said "and here are your vouchers for breakfast" and bam another $40 added to the bill. I was given the distinct impression it was included in our rate and did not have my paperwork on hand. I only realized it afterwards. My fault. There are lots of extras you can tack on, but that is where it gets pricey. Just go and play in the waterpark and arcade. It will keep your kids busy for the entire 24 hours!

The place is crawling with lifeguards and they take their job very seriously! I would still put little ones in life jackets (they provide them) because I'm sure you will lose track of them in there!

The only complaint I have is that we had a child with us that had a medical reason for wearing goggles and we were given quite a hard time--even told that he could not ride the slides or the obstacle course. It is not posted ANYWHERE although they told us it was. We asked to speak to a manager about it. The manager did not respond to us, but apparently had a meeting with all the lifeguards the following morning and spread the word "not to let the kid with the goggles ride any slide" no matter what! No one ever followed up with us directly. With only 20 hours to play, it was not worth the fight.

The staff we encountered in the restaurants and front desk were very nice.

A couple tips:
Check-in is 4pm, but you can arrive as early as 1pm and use the facility. Check-out is 11am,but you can stay as late at 10pm with your wristbands and there are showers and changing facilities.
Food/snacks, etc. are expensive and add up! I saw lots of people in the parking lot hauling in coolers and with refrigerators in the room, you can really save this way. You just can't take it into the common areas like the water park.
There is a Pizza Hut in the cafe area where you can order and carry up to your room, but the pizza from the bar and grill upstairs is actually cheaper/larger and made with the same ingredients. That was the perfect meal in the room for the kids.
Bring your own breakfast items and save the $$$ for the arcade.
The kids had a great time in the arcade and it was very well supervised.

I would stay elsewhere if you are going to Kings Island. This place is only worth the $$$ if you are going to stay and play!

The