“Fantastic & Kid Friendly”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Lodge is fantastic. You can make a vacation out of this alone. The staff, waterpark and facilities are amazing. Skip Magiquest, it is overpriced and frustrating. Go midweek for less "noise". Take earplugs, your own soap, and a pillow. Noise travels into room from hall, I always take my own soap, and the pillows are overstuffed. Be sure to build a bear, the lady who does this is very nice. The hotel restaurant is a bit pricey and the food is mediocre at best. I recommend traveling to exit 19 off 71 and visit MiMi's cafe. Check out the link http://www.mimiscafe.com. The buffet at the restaurant has a good breakfast and allow you to take fruit with you for later day snacking. If I can help with pretrip planning, feel free to contact me!

1  Thank kc040378
There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge

Reviewed August 20, 2009

This hotel was AWESOME !!! The atmosphere was perfect, there is so much to do, you will never be bored. We stayed Sun-Wed, and it was very quiet. There was hardly any lines at the slides, pool was empty, not crazy anywhere- even the arcade.This is a MAJOR improvement over our stay at Kalahari last year. The only complaint would be the quality of the food in the Loose Moose . It was overpriced and food was not good. But there are a ton of places to eat around the area where you can get better food for your money. The beds are VERY firm too, but the room is so neat that it was easily overlooked. Other scomplained about the lifeguards, and they must have fixed that because they were all very nice. Our party ranged from 1-61 in age and everyone was happy. We will be back !!!

Reviewed August 19, 2009

Just returned from a one-night stay with my husband and three children, ages 20, 16, and 12. I had heard that the waterpark was more for younger children so I was hesitant to book this hotel, thinking we might get bored quickly. Boy was I wrong! We LOVED the waterpark, staying nearly 6 hours. It is certainly not just for younger kids. The slides are awesome, especially the Hydroplunge coaster. (I could've ridden that all day.) I haven't laughed...or screamed...that much in a long time!

(On a side note, there were a few children wanting to ride Hydroplunge but they had no one to ride with. You can only ride single if you are over a certain weight. The attendant will ask others in line to pair up with them. (You can ride 3 to a raft.) PLEASE say yes if you are asked. I actually saw a couple of folks say no. Shame on them! Every child deserves to ride and have fun. It's not their fault they have no one to ride with.)

Back to the review...The water temp for the slides and activity pools was very warm and relaxing. The wave pool was a bit chilly. Not uncomfortable, just cooler than the other sections of the park. All the lifeguards were alert and friendly. I asked a few questions and they happily replied. I like the size of this park. Not huge, but not tiny. It was just perfect to split up and ride different things, but still be able to find each other fairly quickly.

I loved the decor in the hotel. In some ways, it reminded me of Disney, in that there was great detail in the little things. (carved lamps, pictures, etc.) Little kids would overlook this stuff (just like at Disney) but adults who appreciate atmospheric details will certainly enjoy themselves.

The queen beds were comfy and the family suite room was a good size for my family of 5. My 20 yr.old son slept on the pull-out sofa and said it was very comfortable. The balcony is a little small but is nice overall and offers good views of Kings Island. We didn't eat in any of the restaurants except Pizza Hut Express. (Very good pizza.)

If I could suggest anything to make this place even better than it already is, it would be to add a couple of slides to the outside pool. Nothing extreme, just some basic slides. The pool is pretty, but there's not much to do. After about a half hour, we went back in and spent the rest of our time in the waterpark.

Overall, we certainly enjoyed our time here and will probably visit again next year.

Reviewed August 11, 2009

We visited on a Friday night two weeks ago, on our way home from a hockey camp in Oxford, OH. I booked a special "Great Summer Rate" on the internet $334.95 plus tax for a KidKamp suite (2 adults and 3 children). Given that entertainment was incl. I thought it was a decent rate. Where you can go wrong is all the add-ons. Just say no! At check-in, they said "and here are your vouchers for breakfast" and bam another $40 added to the bill. I was given the distinct impression it was included in our rate and did not have my paperwork on hand. I only realized it afterwards. My fault. There are lots of extras you can tack on, but that is where it gets pricey. Just go and play in the waterpark and arcade. It will keep your kids busy for the entire 24 hours!

The place is crawling with lifeguards and they take their job very seriously! I would still put little ones in life jackets (they provide them) because I'm sure you will lose track of them in there!

The only complaint I have is that we had a child with us that had a medical reason for wearing goggles and we were given quite a hard time--even told that he could not ride the slides or the obstacle course. It is not posted ANYWHERE although they told us it was. We asked to speak to a manager about it. The manager did not respond to us, but apparently had a meeting with all the lifeguards the following morning and spread the word "not to let the kid with the goggles ride any slide" no matter what! No one ever followed up with us directly. With only 20 hours to play, it was not worth the fight.

The staff we encountered in the restaurants and front desk were very nice.

A couple tips:
Check-in is 4pm, but you can arrive as early as 1pm and use the facility. Check-out is 11am,but you can stay as late at 10pm with your wristbands and there are showers and changing facilities.
Food/snacks, etc. are expensive and add up! I saw lots of people in the parking lot hauling in coolers and with refrigerators in the room, you can really save this way. You just can't take it into the common areas like the water park.
There is a Pizza Hut in the cafe area where you can order and carry up to your room, but the pizza from the bar and grill upstairs is actually cheaper/larger and made with the same ingredients. That was the perfect meal in the room for the kids.
Bring your own breakfast items and save the $$$ for the arcade.
The kids had a great time in the arcade and it was very well supervised.

I would stay elsewhere if you are going to Kings Island. This place is only worth the $$$ if you are going to stay and play!

The

2  Thank snorklemom
Reviewed August 6, 2009

My family had nothing bad to say about this hotel. We only wished that we could have stayed longer. We didn't get to experience everything that the hotel has to offer. Just take a look at the photos and videos on the internet. The hotel offers so much for a family. We did go to King's Island and that was fun. However, the children were asking the whole time "when do we get to go to the GWL?" Our last vacation was to the Wilderness Lodge at Disney. I have to do some research on this, but it seems like the builders of this hotel had the same ideas of that of Disney's Wilderness Lodge. Even the carpet was the same. If you go to the GWL, you will not regret it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
cfranklingw2005, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2009

I am extremely please to hear about your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge - Mason, OH. FUN is always part of our agenda. There are a variety of different amenities at the hotel that do make a 1 night stay feel like it is just not enough time. Make sure you come back soon to check out MagiQuest. I do expect to see some up coming promotions that offer a discount based on your length of stay...That means the more time you spend at Great Wolf, the more money you can save! We look forward to your return visit.

Best Wishes,
Terrie Zajo

Reviewed August 5, 2009

We spent 3 nights at the GWL Mason and could not have been happier. The staff was exceptional, I was asked on multiple occasions during out time "How is your stay?". I'm pretty picky when it comes to hotels but this one is clean, well kept with a very attentive staff.

Both our boys (ages 4 and 9) loved the water park. The lifeguards could have been more pleasant but I guess teenagers will be teenagers. This is the only complaint I have from our stay. The kids also loved the arcade, Cub Club craft area and the nightly presentation/story time. We didn't try Magic Quest this time but plan to next stay.

We ate at the buffet restaurant twice. Food was ok albeit a tad expensive but at least you don't have to leave the resort to feed the kids. The bar and grill restaurant was my preference. The food was very good, once again a tad more expensive than a normal restaurant but the convience made it worth the cost. One hint, if you register with the text message system they will text you discounts you can use for various things including a discount in the restaurants.

Overall, obviously the GWL is more expensive than your normal hotel but sometimes you get what you pay for and we sure felt we did this time around. Good job management and staff.

1  Thank OSUfans4life
Reviewed August 1, 2009

My family of five stayed at the Mason/Kings Island GWL on a Monday night. The lines were not bad at all. (I wouldn't dream of going there on a weekend.) As with the Sandusky site, my 9 & 11 year old kids loved it. The 17-year-old, not so much. The Mason facility is not a carbon copy of the Sandusky site, which is nice. In fact the assortment of slides at Mason is more interesting overall, particularly the wave pool. The outdoor pool is very modest, nothing to compare with Kalahari, but the younger ones still enjoyed it.
I concur with previous posters that the food is unreasonably priced. I had to gopher food at nearby McDonalds, and we enjoyed a dinner at our old haunt, The Pizza Tower, just down I-71 at Fields-Ertel Road, which also offers Taco Bell, White Castle, etc.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family