“Fun for small kids”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Reviewed June 19, 2009

We stayed 2 nights in the Family Leisure suite because we knew our kids (5 and 3) were too young to really enjoy the bigger rooms. Our room was just as pictured. We had to call room service though because we did not have enough towels for 5 people. We had them in about 5 minutes though. My sister, who traveled with us, decided to take a shower when we arrived since we had a long day at King's Island. Well, the drain was clogged. So we had to call again, but someone was up to fix the problem within 10 minutes. The kids really enjoyed the water park. The kid slides and the pool were the biggest hit. My husband really enjoyed the bigger water slides. We did have one issue with room service - we had asked that our beds be made up (sheets aren't fitted and just barely fit the bed, so when you wake up, the bottom sheet is around your waist and your feet are on the mattress itself). One bed was made up, the second bed, when we pulled down the blankets, the bottom sheet was still in the middle of the bed leaving the bottom half of the mattress still exposed. That was disappointing.

As far as the food, we had the breakfast buffet at the Loose Moose Cottage. It was OK. The best food on the buffet was the fried apples and the french toast stix. Everything else was lacking in flavor. Out of the 5 of us, only 1 was impressed with the buffet. We had our other 2 meals at the Camp Critter Grill which was very good. We all agreed that it was the best meal we had during our 3 days in Mason. We did get some of the fudge from the Bear Claw cafe to take home - I HIGHLY recommend it. The fudge is VERY good.

The kids really enjoyed tie-dying their own shirts at the Cub Club. They also really enjoyed story time at the clock tower. I recommend getting there very early as we were seated in the back and it was difficult to hear. We also purchased the MagiQuest game. The girls were really too young to understand the game, but had fun just seeing what everything said. Their enjoyment made it worth the $25 and now we have a wand for whenever we return.

Our favorite feature though was the balcony! We had a great view of the King's Island fireworks each night. It was nice to be able to enjoy those without having to leave the room. The biggest disappointment though...it's advertised that there's a walking path between the lodge and King's Island -- what they don't share with you is that this path is at least 1 mile long. It's a long trek back after an exhausting day at King's Island.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank momto2dds
There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge

Reviewed May 31, 2009

We were return customers and have always loved staying here. This time I was disappointed with how my concern with a moldy shower floor was handled. My teenage daughter her friend and I stayed in the majestic bear suite. The most expensive suite at the discounted price of 300 dollars/night. This has two full baths. A must with two teenage girls. The girls shower floor had black mold build uo in the corners and around the drain. It was gross. The girls would not use the shower and I did not blame them. I called at 5:30pm our first night to report the problem amd was told someone would be right up. Never happened. The girls used my shower. The next morning I called again same answer same result. An hour later I called for a manager who was not in their office I left a message on voicemail and then told the front desk no one had been up yet. Ame answer same result, nothing. The girls used my shower to get ready to go over to Kings Island. On the way out of the lobby I stopped at the front desk and again explained the situation. The manager still was too busy to see me. I aske for a bottle of Tilex and said I could clean it myself. I specifically got this room for the two full bathrooms. They assured me it would be taken care of when we got back. The shower was finally scrubbed up but they really should regrout the floor . It was cleaner but stained from Mold build up. At 300 dollars a night I do not expect lockerroom like conditions. They never apologized again. Never heard from the manager. I was very disappointed at how this was handled.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank chrisalli
Reviewed May 2, 2009

The facility is fairly new and clean, and the rooms were nice. The water park offers modestly challenging water slides - anyone over 12 will likely get bored quickly. However, since it is an indoor park, it is the only waterpark option much of the year in Ohio. The lines were fairly long, and it is rather expensive.
We stayed one night, had dinner and breakfast there, and spent just under $500.00. The amount of fun we got out of this facility simply did not match the cost. We are unlikely to return.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
cfranklingw2005, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2009

I appreciate the response to your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge - Mason, OH. We opened just a few years ago so we are the newest and largest indoor waterpark resort in the area and with Kings Island next door, we're a great place for a family vacation. To save some money next time, make sure to sign-up for the E-Pack and receive special discounts and information. You can find the sign-up form on our website's home page. Also don't forget our website for upcoming specials and deals. Hope to see you again soon.
Best,
Patrick Alvarez

Reviewed April 15, 2009

We took the grandchildren for a 2 night stay at your lodge at Kings Island Mason Ohio.
Needless to say room clean up was missing, no replacement of soap for showers,
no fitted sheets or mattress pads on mattresses. Torn blankets, cable not working, toilet running and no supervision in hallway (very noisy with a lot of slamming doors.
For the rate of $500 a night, it was a very disappointing experience. I will not recommend to friends, families or anyone else that I come in contact with. Clean up
your act or your business will be no more

3  Thank Pappapfisherman
Reviewed April 8, 2009

We just arrived back home after our first one-night stay at GWL in Mason, Ohio. All in all we had a very good time. We chose to reserve the least expensive room but it was still very nice, roomy and clean. The fridge and microwave were nice to have in the room for snacks and we chose to take breakfast foods with us (which we highly recommend!) to save money on buying breakfast in the restaurants in the lodge. The restaurants were a bit frustrating. We went for dinner last night and had the buffet and the restaurant to choose from. We opted for the restaurant because we weren't really in the mood for the Mexican buffet.......however........when we got across the lobby to the restaurant we found there was an hour wait and we were starving so back to the buffet we went. The food was mediocre at BEST (meat tough, everything else pretty bland). I realize, you don't go to a water park for fine dining, but it really could have been better. Buffet for two adults and two kids ended up being almost $50........soooo not worth that! Next time we'll leave the hotel and drive up the road to Ruby Tuesday's, probably. The next beef would be the Magic-Quest game they have for the kids. $25!!!! I told mine that becasue we were only staying one night we weren't going to do it but nearly every other kid we saw was playing. My last bone to pick is the lockers. They charge $5 (plus $10 deposit) for a locker for the day (if you go to the water park before you can check in or after you check out). Just seems excessive after paying $230/night for the room and water park. Anyway.......as with most places like this, everything is overpriced, but we did have a lot of fun and will probably go back. The room was very nice, hotel employees were great - all very friendly and helpful, the decor was very charming, the water park was HUGE and we never got bored. It was nice that they had one area - the hot tub - that is just for adults!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Greetings. Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Great Wolf Lodge- Mason, OH. I am glad to hear that your family had a good time. Our goal as a brand is promoting family togetherness.
Very quickly, I wanted to touch base on a few off the issues that you addressed on your recent posting. First, thank you for your feedback on the restaurant. I will be addressing this with my team. You did name the Camp Critter Bar & Grill and the Loose Moose Cottage. Please note that there are additional options for dinning. At Great Wolf Lodge, we also offer a Pizza Hut Express, featuring Personal Pan Pizzas and Sprit Island Snack Shop, which is located in the Waterpark area. For dessert or special treats, I would recommend the Bear Paw Café which features pastries, fudge, gourmet ice cream & candies.
MagiQuest is a very fun interactive game that the children love to play. I wanted to make sure that you understood the wand that you purchase can be used every time that your child visits the lodge. The wand stores your points and can be used at any other Great Wolf Lodge property that offers MagiQuest. I will tell you from my personal experience, this is not only a game for the kids. I enjoy the game myself.
Again, thank you for sharing your recent experience. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back for another visit.
Regards,
Patrick Alvarez

Reviewed April 6, 2009

This is our 2nd trip to this particular location, we were there same time two years ago.

First - be very aware of the cancelation fees, etc when booking. We booked for a Saturday night during peak Spring Break.
Second - know what age brackets you are hoping to make happy & think accordingly. We were traveling with another couple & their 13 & 15.5 year old. Once in, the girls were able to roam freely with specific connection times. I wouldn't want to go during the Spring Break Weekends with small children. It's a bit too crowded & the waits can be difficult for them to tolerate.
Third - When arriving wear your swimsuit or have it packed on top of your suitcase. Since checkout time is 11am on busy days it's hard to turn the rooms quickly.
Fourth - you can check the website for details of the slides to know if they look interesting.

We arrived at 1:00pm - the earliest you are allowed into the facility. We were all wearing swimwear under the clothing & quickly got the wristbands that allowed us into the park. Throw the street clothes into the rental lockers & off to play. We were in the water by 1:30. Stayed in the Water Park area until 8:00ish - by then the chlorine scent had become stingy to the eyes & we called it. While the others went to the car to gather luggage I went up & collected the wristbands with room key(more on that in a sec) & we went to our room for a quick clothing change & then off for a dinner. After dinner the girls spent time & money in the arcade while the adults relaxed. Hit the sack about midnight & up at 7:30am. The waterpark opens at 10am, so a bit more time in the arcade after eating & we left around 3:00 when the new crowd was moving in & the old crowd still there was at it's heaviest.

Nice features - the wrist band has the room key built in - so no extra keys to worry with. As with most hotels extras can be charged to the room. There are food options near the waterpark so you don't have to get changed to eat - outside the park doors is a combo PizzaHut & breakfast pastry place. In the park itself nacos & drinks are available as well.

As with many places some of the staff is more helpful & informed then others. There are some things that aren't well thought out. Such as: locker keys are rented & returned in the gift shop. There are no additional or dedicated staff for that activity during peak times -d'oh!! The stadium food services are not well organized, so the seemingly short lines take much longer than they should. As with most Food Available at Locale places the prices are higher than if you left.

Because NCAA games were on tv in the sit down restaurant the hostess indicated that the tables weren't turning as they normally would. So rather than wait 90 minutes we opted for the more expensive buffet - where there was no tv. The food was hot, tasty & offered a large variety. It was a bit pricier than we would have spent in the sit down - but no wait.

The rooms have microwave & refrigerator so if you opted to bring sandwiches goods & other things you could fix it in the room. The beds were comfortable, the girls indicated that the pullout sofa bed was nice. Plenty of towels in the room. The rooms were clean, the park was clean. The doors to the hall were a bit thin so chattering families were easily heard, but this isn't a place I would expect much privacy or peacefulness. Expect happy children running up & down the hallways , and tired, cranky children in the early evening.

The place could be a bit more efficient on checking in & out. For single parents arriving there should be a locale that the kids be dropped to play - most parents stand in line with all their luggage & their kids really slogging down the lines.

But while we fuss at the staff not being as efficient as they could be, the park participants also make it less efficient. I was fascinated by the number of parents that would hoard tubes while their families were elsewhere. One person held 3 doubles & 2 singles - before her people joined her we had completed at least 3 slides! Also - the adult hottub clearly indicates 21+ as the age & yet many parents thought it perfectly fine to bring their 8 & 9 year olds in until the lifeguards came thru. Read the height restrictions on the signs so you don't wait in line with your 2 year old for a slide they can't go on! At the beginning of each line the height restrictions are clearly marked!

Would we go again? Most certainly. Can it be improved on? Most certainly.

Reviewed April 4, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights and 3 days over Spring Break! The facility is beautiful and clean. The rooms -even the standard room is huge (and can easily accomodate 6) and also clean with many amenities(micro, refrig, in-room safe,coffee pot) in every room. The water park has a varitey of water activities for all ages and levels of bravery. The main restaurant is buffet and has kid fare and a variety of foods for more grown up tastes. The food was great. We only waited for seating for one meal and were told it was unusual. The friendliest staff was the front desk staff and the maid service, but the other staff weren't very friendly or overly helpful. The Clock Tower show is a must and so is MagiQuest. One of the nicest things was having your room key on your waterpark bracelet so you never worried about losing your key! Great stay! Buy the Kid Pass, worth the money!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family