Great Wolf Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$76
ComfortSuites
Best Western Mason Inn(Mason)(Great Value!)
$70
  • Restaurant
$99
Hotels.com
3,809 results
All reviewswater parkwave poolpizzaall ageslazy riverbunk bedsindoor waterparklife guardsmagic questa lot of fungreat family funmagiquest gameloose moosewater coastermini golffun placespring break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The water park was fun. But the room had dirty wash clothes left in shower. The mold in the bathroom was terrible. For the money the rooms should be much cleaner. I was very disappointed. Over all the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank kb2524
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Mason and sharing your feedback with us! I apologize for how you found the room when you arrive, as this is not customary for us and does not meet the expectations we have set for our Housekeeping team.

If there are ever concerns with something such as mold, please contact Guest Services immediately so we can try to resolve the issue in a timely manner.

We hope to host your family again soon!

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We recently spent the weekend at Great Wolf Lodge in Mason, Ohio.

This was our first time at GWL as we went to gather with several family members to celebrate a birthday.

The lodge is very easy to find. Pulling into the parking lot, you are first drawn towards the warm and welcoming entrance. We arrived around 12:30 pm. We had planned to get there around 1 so we could go ahead and check in and head to the water park until we could check in.

As soon as we walked in and up to the front desk, we were promptly greeted. They had plenty of staff waiting on the guests. We had received an email a few days before our arrival and it allowed us to check in online, which we did on Friday evening. So by the time we got there on Saturday, our room was already ready and we were allowed to check in!

After you get off of the elevators, you walk right into the areas where the MagiQuest play areas are so you may seeing kids running around with their wands. As you continue down the hallway, you will see the rooms.

We reserved a King luxury suite. One of the great things about GWL is that your room key is on your wristband that you are given at check in, so all you do is scan your wristband on the scanner on your door.

Our room was very spaciously and clean! They provide you with the typically toiletries (toothpaste, body wash, shampoo, soap).

While thoroughly examined our room, as we always do, to ensure it's clean and there are no problems we noticed that not only does GWL have a mattress cover over the mattress, they also have a zipped mattress cover over the mattress.

The rooms have a very rustic feel to them, which is very appropriate considering you are staying at a lodge.

Our room also had a balcony/patio. Fortunately it was nice enough while we were there to sit outside and enjoy the weather.

The amenities in our room consisted of a microwave and mini fridge as well as a coffee maker, hair dryer, large swivel tv, desk, couch (sofa bed) and chair, coffee table and end table.

When you go down to the waterpark, there are towels and floatation devices available. We were able to find chairs to put all of our stuff on.

GWL had plenty of staff on hand as well as lifeguards.

There are plenty of other activities that GWL offer if you need a break from the water park! There is an arcade, gift shop, Starbucks, restaurants, and scheduled activities! Plus a spa for adults and a separate one for kids!

At first you may be a little taken aback by the amount your visit will cost, however, once you are there, you will see why! GWL offers something for each family member!

As far as eating there, there are restaurants on site. I believe the breakfast buffet was $13.99 per adult and $5.99 for children.

For both lunch and dinner, we decided to leave the resort. Within a mile of the resort, there is a Popeyes, Taco Bell, Kroger, and McDonalds.

We had brought our own snacks and beverages but there are vending machines where you can purchase drinks.

Overall we had a terrific time and definitely plan to go back!

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." We did not receive any type of incentive to write this review. We paid for our room at Great Wolf Lodge ourselves.**

Room Tip: Tips: We stayed on the fourth floor so we didn't have anyone above us. Take your own snacks and beverages from home. There are several chain restaurants nearby to help offset the cost. Once you stay there, you will receive emails with discount codes.
1  Thank Hubeimom
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This was my second visit to Great Wolf (same Mason, OH location). The kids absolutely love it. We stayed in a "Kids Cabin" room, which for over $300+ a night seemed a little overpriced, but the kids like it. Of course you will hear the usual "but the hotel room includes the admission to the waterpark which is valued at $40/pp" Yeah, I get that. Keep reading.

Pulling up to the hotel, you can see that upkeep isn't a priority anymore. It's April and there's still Christmas wreaths hanging on the front of the hotel. You can see that the outside of the hotel desperately needs a coat of paint. The pool area is nice, but is starting to show it's age as well. Rust and calcium everywhere is becoming more obvious during our second visit. I hope Great Wolf doesn't turn into a dump like Kings Island.

If you're going to stay here- be prepared to spend extra money. Your kids will want to play the MagiQuest wand game (wand + game = approx $40-50). The restaurants on site are average priced, but the food at the buffet was bad. I felt like the cooks weren't even trying.

From a kid's viewpoint- they love it. Great Wolf is fantastic.
From an adult's viewpoint- eh.... It's fun, but expensive.

2  Thank Gavin007
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your most recent visit to Great Wolf Lodge – Mason! I will pass along your concerns to the respective teams so we can work on finding areas of improvement for future guests.

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We made the mistake of staying here one night. If you want to get any kind of mileage here for the money you have to stay more than one night. Check in is at 4:00, pool closes at 9. Check out is at 11:00, but the pool opens at 10. However, for 45 extra dollars you can check out at 2 pm. Very annoying. I felt like I was nickel and dimed by this place for overnight. I also was disappointed that one of the pools were shut down the first day for hours and nobody would say why and the wave pool is where my kids wanted to spend most of their time. I also think I had to pay a bit extra because I have 3 children and not two. It was clean, staff were moderately friendly, but its a zoo and the kids running around with the wands for the scavenger hunt are a bit annoying. I also think you have to pay 70-80 bucks for the wand thing. Overall, stay for at least 2 days so your kids can enjoy the pool and not for a few hours and a brief jump in the next morning. My 9 year old told me that they should open the pool at 9 and close it at 10, not the other way around. He is right.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the stairs or near the main atrium because of the traffic for the scavenger hunt with the wands.
1  Thank whitworth74

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Mason and sharing your feedback with us! I am sorry to hear your family was not able to enjoy the lodge to its fullest potential during your visit. There are times where we have to close a pool for any number of reasons and we understand this is inconvenient for our guests. We can definitely work on improving the communication for our team regarding pool closures so guests can be kept up-to-date as new information rolls in.

MagiQuest is an enormously popular activity at Great Wolf Lodge and most of our guests find it to be a neat, unique vacation experience. MaqiQuest averages around $35 per player for a basic wand and the game activation (which lasts the duration of a visit) and depending on your level of involvement, can take up to 4-6 hours to play through everything. If your kids finish the game and they loved it, they can go back and play through again and potentially have a very different experience without paying anything additional!

I hope this information is helpful and that you will return to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

The Good:
-The water park is bigger than any other water park I've visited. The best part for me was the adult hot tub. (Have to be 21. Nice!) There were a couple of teens that popped in, but I get it. Even teens can get fed up with five year olds splashing about.
-Eating options. WHile we only ate at the Lodge Wood Fire Grill, we were pleased with our meal. The atmosphere was nice. I heard it was newly redone. The menu was limited, but we all found something pleasing, and yummy. I also found the prices to be reasonable. There is also a Starbucks. I don't drink coffee, but it's nice for those who do.
-The kids really liked the arcade. They were great about handling a little extra freedom, while the grown ups enjoyed that hot tub. Just remember that the freedom the kids might enjoy for the "quests" or arcade, lodge policy is that they do not get to enter the water park without adults.
-The kids really enjoyed the Shadow/MagiQuest. They only did one, not sure which. But they all looked like fun. The quests take you to all the floors of the lodge, but the smartly placed all of the activities, close to the center of the lodge, keeping the noise as far from possible from the guest rooms.
-We just stayed in a standard suite, and thought it was plenty big for a family of five.

The Bad:
-GWL is pricey. And the quests, spa arcade, etc, will all cost more money.
-The room looked worn. I understand some of the charm of all wood furnishings, but the finish was really worn. The worst was the nightstand that had a four year old's pen scribbles, and the remains of some mysterious pink substance, I believe was gum. Really GWL? If it doesn't come out, it's time to take it outside for some sanding and new poly. In addition the sink was backed up, the reading lights were finicky, and the front light was not working. They didn't bother us enough for the inconvenience of calling, but we did notice. It's just frustrating that things the maid would notice, should get fixed without guests having to call. (These items were not new.)
-Your room key is on the plastic wristband you need to wear to get in the water park. Sounds nice, except opening your room is tricky. The guest services clerk told me to hold the bracelet 1/2 to 1 inch from the sensor. What I found was that I needed to hold it almost on top of the sensor, and roll it across. Not to mention the bracelet sometimes got twisted around, or I had to put my wrist in an uncomfortable position to get it to the right position for the sensor. Maybe we got a goofy sensor, but I didn't appreciate it.
-Scoops books up early, so book ahead of time. I can't blame them for being popular, and missing out due to my lack of planning, but what I did find a bit frustrating is that the spa was supposed to close at 7pm, and when I stopped in an hour to an hour and a half before closing, it was dead. No one was inside, yet I was told they were no openings until the next afternoon. Huh?
-My kids weren't into any of the free activities, such as bingo, craft time, story time. If you have really little ones, they might be.
-The water park closed at 9. I'm not sure if that's the hotels way of trying to get people to spend more money on the things that would stay open later (arcade, restaurants, quests) but I felt bored later in the evening. Also, apparently the water slides are a little confusing at first.. I don't ride them, but both my son and husband said they were confusing. You can only use the green tubes for some slides, yellow for other. And it sounds like the directions could have been clearer. (Which makes me think there could have been better directions in general. How about a map of where the different restaurants and activities are? How about restaurants menus in the green binders you put in the rooms? How about prices for the different services at the spa? etc.)

The bottom line: My kids liked it enough to ask if we can go back. . I think we enjoyed it enough. Two days was about our limit. I'm not in a hurry to go back, unless there are some good discounts.

2  Thank jcoldc
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Mason! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we will use it as a guide when searching for areas of opportunity to improve for future visits.

As a valued guest, you will receive exclusive repeat guest discounts directly to your inbox that you can use to make a return trip more affordable.

We hope to host your family again soon!