“4 star price, 2 star stay”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Saint Albans, West Virginia
“4 star price, 2 star stay”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The kids had a blast! The check in process took an hour. Found multiple food items in floor from previous guests. Pull out sleeper had dirty sheets, wrappers and straws. Electrical outlets next to bed didn't work. After an accident in the water park they had to shut down to clean, which I appreciate, kids all around were coughing so hard they could hardly get their breath. The chemicals used in the clean up forced us out of the water park and had to give the kids breathing treatments, both days we were there. The loft fire place suite had plenty of space. The kids enjoyed magi quest. Way too expensive for the quality of stay.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank 37rn
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Mason! I am glad your children enjoyed their stay and how much room the Loft Fireplace Suite had to offer.

I apologize for how you found your suite when you arrived, especially because it fails to meet with the standards we hold for our Housekeeping team.

If price is a concern, I would recommend when making your next reservation to inquire about all of the suite styles we offer. The Loft Fireplace Suite is a premium suite, but you might enjoy one of our themed suites, such as a Wolf Den or Kid Cabin Suite.

We hope your family will stay with us again soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Our first GWL experience was over Christmas vacation. My mother treated us to an overnight stay verses buying gifts that the kids don’t need. I would have some suggestions that I would like to see. More hooks in bathroom over tub to hang wet suits. A smaller dryer in the room would be a wonderful addition! There are many update that need to be made, nothing more that wear and tear to a room that is overrun with children all the time. We did eat at the buffet at night and I was shocked at the food choices and the price $18 for an adult and $5 for a kid, I think that is a great value, we had 3 adults and 3 kids. 2 of the kids are great eaters and enjoyed the crab legs and ribs. We watched them cook most of the meat fresh, the ribs were the only thing I saw them take out of a warmer which we all know that there are regular restaurants that don’t do that. We did eat at the grill in the water park the next day, we kind of split some things because my mom and one of the kids don’t eat much. We had 3 cheeseburgers, 2 corndogs and a couple of fries for around $30. The kids loved it and were glad we were not going to have to stop at a fast food place on the way home. I even had a couple of bites of the burger which was all is cooked to order as well! On to my water park review: love it, one of our kids was being kind of crabby and did not want to take full advantage of doing everything. 1 child liked the wave pool and really did not care about anything else. The 3rd child wanted to do EVERYTHING even said the other kids were boring. As for the big kids (my husband and I) we went back at night without the kids and enjoyed the slides! The only negative thing I can really say is that the Magic Quest thing could really be updated half the time the kids did not get their "coins."

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 30somethingmommy
Middletown, Ohio
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Upon checking into the room I found dried cool aid on one of the tables, on the other table was dried pizza sauce and on most of the furniture was dried white stuff ! The shower head was broken ! I have stayed in Low rated motels that were much cleaner for the price I paid I expected much cleaner I called the front desk to tell them about the mess and they sent someone to clean it up but they only cleaned up one of the tables and left the other stuff dirty it is obvious there housekeeping dept is horrible. Upon exploring the resort I found trash all over the place my final opinion is this place was a dump that I would never come back to.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Timls3674
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Mason and for providing us with your detailed feedback! We are always looking for ways to improve and enhance the guest experience. I will share your concerns with our team in Mason and they will follow up with our Housekeeping staff on possible opportunities for improvement.

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Our recent stay at the Mason, OH resort was less than satisfying. The waterpark was awesome and fun. Although the resort promises "Hibernation Hours" from 11-7, guests can be found playing sports in the halls long after those hours. Don't plan on sleeping if you go! For the $400 + we paid, I expected much better customer service. Also, everything there is additional money, including magi quest and mini golf - only the waterpark is included. I do not plan on returning to any of these resorts! For the money, there are much cooler choices!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Mason! I am glad your family took advantage of all our waterpark has to offer.

We do have posted Hibernation Hours from 11pm to 7am, and if you find anyone not in compliance with this, please reach out to Guest Services so we can work to rectify the situation. It is important for our guests to feel at home while they stay with us and a sound night’s sleep plays a key part.

If you want to include additional activities, such as MagiQuest and mini golf, then you would want to look into adding one of our bundled add-on packages. The Paw or Wolf Pass would offer the most extra activities at a discounted price.

I hope you will stay with us again soon!

Cincy
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Check in was smooth. I like the RFID wristbands so you don't have to worry about a room key/credit card.
Room was large and it's nice they have a fridge/microwave in each room. Cleanliness is questionable. There was a pop bottle cap under a side table and a washcloth hanging from the clothesline in the shower.
We tried the pizza near the pool, the buffet, and the sit down restaurant. Service at all three was incredibly slow.
Pool area was big and we went on a Thursday night/Friday morning and didn't have an issue with crowds. It was nice that they provided a variety of life jackets.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Mason and for sharing your feedback! We greatly appreciate it and I will share it with our team in Mason for them to review.

I hope you will return to stay with us again soon!

Hartford City, Indiana
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This was our second visit to GWL-Mason and once again we were very pleased with our stay. ROOM: Our 5-year old daughter LOVES having her own bunk bed and TV in the Wolf Den Suite. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. I appreciated the number of outlets in the room as well. We typically bring a noise machine, night light, laptop, two cell phone chargers, etc. and we always have plenty of places to plug them in. I would have appreciated maybe one or two additional hooks in the room for hanging damp/wet suits and towels.

FOOD: The food at the breakfast/dinner buffets (Loose Moose) was decent. For the price, we always came away full so I can't complain about that. :) I want to give special mention to Richard, our waiter both times. He was probably the best server I've ever had at any restaurant. He was kind and attentive and so friendly with my daughter. He even brought us full to-go coffee cups without us asking for them. GWL, do not lose Richard! He is an absolute GEM! :)

ACTIVITIES: We got a Pup Pass this time around, but I'm honestly still undecided about whether that was actually a good value or not. We probably won't do that again next time. (How many wolf stuffed animals does one child require??) :)

The arcade was fun, and my daughter enjoyed the glow-in-the-dark mini-golf, which was never crowded. I was a little disappointed in Cub Club...it had its own room last year with more activities...this time it was in the middle of a noisy busy area off the lobby and with less things to make/paint, etc. The 8 PM story time was still fun for my daughter, but I felt the animatronics show could use some work (one of the critters didn't come up as he should and the trees are showing some wear and tear).

WATERPARK: Fantastic, as always! The activities/slides were great. The lifeguards were very nice and attentive. We actually witnessed a "Timmy Test" in the wave pool while we were there. It was interesting to watch and I was pleased that the lifeguards were really on their game. Everything was very clean, except for one area of Fort Mackenzie that overlooked the pool chairs....when you looked down, there were several towels that had clearly been sitting there, wet, for so long that they were actually looking rusty. That part hadn't been cleaned in a LONG time.

CHECK-IN/OUT: We made our reservations online, but discovered that you can't apply gift cards toward online reservations. I would like to request this option please, as it would have made the already frustrating hour-long check in process at the desk much smoother. If you get there in the afternoon on a Sunday, expect the line to be out the door to check-in. UGH. Check-out was much better, and everything on our bill was correct and our gift card applied properly.

Other than the frustrations with check-in, my other "complaints" should be taken more like suggestions, as we really LOVE GWL and definitely plan to be back. The place takes great care of its guests, particularly the smaller ones, which is so appreciated. My 5 -year old is already asking to go back...which is, I suppose, the best compliment you can get!!

United States
Reviewed February 27, 2014

WOW! My husband and myself were very impressed with the lodge and waterpark! We have never stayed at a Great Wolf Lodge before. Our child is not quite two yet but still had a ball. First, the room was spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was a bigger size than your normal hotel room. We had the balcony but there was really no view. That is okay.. you can't have it all. It was pretty loud even at 10 o'clock at night and when you are trying to get your toddler asleep no bueno. The staff was very friendly throughout. We thought the food was good. We ate at the grill for dinner and had the buffet for breakfast. Last but definitely not least was the waterpark! It was a perk with it not being too crowded. We lucked out for sure. The staff was friendly. Several lifeguards kept asking if you are enjoying yourself, so that was nice! There was a lot to do for kids of all ages AND adults. The adult slides were excellent!! We love waterparks and this one is high up on our list! I will say the price for the room is rather high even though it does include the waterpark! Overall...great experience and hope to be back!!!

1 Thank Lisa T