“Not so great after all!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Shelbyville, Kentucky, United States
“Not so great after all!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I would probably have put 2 1/2 rating instead of a 3. The room was nice enough and because of the groupon I found the price wasn't bad. However, we went in October during the week and I couldn't believe how long we had to wait for the rides. They did not have enough folks manning the rides and there was a lot of wasted time for no apparent reason other than understaffing. We ordered food from the snack bar inside the water park and it took a very long time to get the nachos and onion rings we ordered. Everything was crazy expensive so I suggest that you don't eat inside the lodge. I also took my teenage children and while it may be an okay park for little kids , there wasn't much to keep the attention of my teenagers, especially when the few good rides took forever to get through. Not a place I'd really recommend to my friends with older children.

2 Thank Milori15

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed her previously. The kids love it. That was about 2yrs ago, so thought I'd write a new review. We had a fireplace room on the ground level. Room was musty smelling but I guess that's part of the water park experience? Found a lot of random hairs and few candy wrappers as well. Clearly room could have been better cleaned. It was ready at 1pm for check in though, which made us happy. Resort was nearly at capacity (Fall Break) but didn't feel overly crowded. Staff was very friendly and attentive. Everyone we saw spoke to us. Day #1 was filled w water park, dinner at Camp Critter, MagiQuest, and arcade. The lifeguards were very diligent. Disappointed in the lack of towels and clear inner tubes for the lazy river/wave pool. Water was also WAY too cold for the toddler and even the other kids complained. 2 of the 3 had blue lips they were so cold. It's only October, would hate to see winter! We brought our wands for MagiQuest with us that we had purchased last time. That made the game much more affordable (wands approx $30) Kids had a ball running around playing it, but does make for chaotic hallways! The arcade was a big hit and for a $20 card allowed both my older kids approx 1hr of playtime. We checked out the spa, but it was CRAZY expensive so we had to pass. Dinner was good. We went about 4:30 to avoid rush. Food was decent, service prompt. Meals averaged $15-20. Kids meals have changed and no longer include wolf ears and dessert. Bedtime is when things began to go downhill......the hotel never got quiet! There are "hibernation hours" but they were NOT enforced. We had a 1yr old with us that desperately needed sleep. Kids were running and screaming all night. MagiQuest needs to deactivate at a certain time to stop the running. Being on ground level was very noisy. The nights sleep was awful. The next morning, our toddler was up at 6am. We had nothing we could do until things began to open at 9. That is too late! Water park didn't open until 10. That only allowed a one hour play time window before feeding lunch and nap time started. The worst part was, the toddler play area in the water park was "closed for maintenance" Why can that not be preformed at night?!? With all the money you pay to stay you should be warned if the only area suited for your baby will be closed (no one visibly working in it) it remained closed remainder of day with no explanation. We ate pizza from the little snack shop for lunch. Price and pizza were decent. There is a microwave and fridge in room. I highly suggest bringing snacks and breakfast items with you or you will spend a fortune. Starbucks is in the gift shop and was much appreciated (especially since I had a cranky toddler with nothing to do while the older ones played!) We were also disappointed at the speed at which they were moving guests thru the water slides. Lines were very slow. They said it was due to lack of lifeguards. While I greatly appreciate the safety, maybe the lifeguards could have been spread out more appropriately? The older kids had a blast, other than lack of sleep. I was greatly disappointed in lack of toddler friendliness. I'm sure we will visit again in a few years, but hope it will become a better value for our money. Reservation fees are outrageous!!

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank MamacitaBB
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

I will never go back paid 335 the staff was rude the poll smelled could only ride slides. The pizza made me sick had to eat out , good thing there was a Popeyes close . Was a fire had wait outside in boxers went back in food was gone. Worse than travel lodge

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Jmggriffith
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Being from Indy, we normally go to Holiday Inn Express/Caribbean Cove. But the water park at Great Wolf Lodge (GWL) is bigger and better even if it is 2 hours away. We came during fall break (Mon & Tue) and the crowds were not too bad. The slides are fantastic, but the water is cool, but not cold or uncomfortable. My favorite was the water roller coaster. Our room for family of 5, Kids Cabin, was very spacious, had a great view of Kings Island from the balcony, and a fun bunk area for our 3 boys with their own TV. Only that my oldest son, 15, was too tall for the kids bunk beds. The beds are better suited for kids under 5.5ft tall. The food is pricy, as to be expected, and there are 4-5 places to eat at GWL, but there are good restaurants in the area for those who want to save money. They also have a scavenger hunt game involving wands called Magic Quest, but a wand is $30. Overall, it's a great place to have waterpark fun with the kids when it is too cold to be outside, but it is not inexpensive.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank piratespatterson
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We just finished a family trip to GWL this past weekend. Overall, the experience was mediocre. Check-in went smooth, however room wristbands did not work requiring a swap. Upon entering room, noticed what appeared to either be spit or vomit on wall and orange peel on porch. One of the bunks was also missing a sheet. House keeping quickly took care of both issues. AC unit was very loud making sleep difficult. The facility as a whole is very dusty which concerned me as my son as asthma. Pool area bathroom behind hot-springs were full of feces when my wife went to use them. Lifeguards are top-notch and VERY attentive, which was great. Kids had a blast. For what you pay, I would expect much cleaner rooms and building. Will we return, probably not.

Room Tip: Get a room on the fourth/top floor. That way you do not hear all the kids running up and down the h...
1 Thank BikeMike2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed in a KidCabin again, brought air mattress (bunk beds not comfortable). We had 1st floor room with patio- awesome in warm months kids can run outside safely. We pulled the kids out of school one Wednesday, had the waterpark to ourselves! Housekeeping and restaurant staff, Starbucks were wonderful. Front desk RUDE...had not encountered this in a dozen prior trips to Great Wolf. We bought Dunkin Donuts for the morning, and bought the GWL pizza...$11 large pepp, really good.

Room Tip: Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Jimmy Johns, DQ, Ruby Tuesdays all within a mile. GWL restaurants very ove...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rileyreese27
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Another family weekend to GWL this time in Mason , OH. This one has a wave pool which was a big hit with my 10 and 3 year old. We also all road the family tube ride- a couple of times.
This time we got a Kids Kamp room which the kids loved, especially since they got to hide away in their own space with their own TV. I allowed my oldest to get a pedicure at Scoops. The service was great and the staff were very friendly. And of course my daughter spent most of her weekend completing the Magic Quest game. Somehow we also squeezed in time to hit the arcade and bowling alley.
The food was good. Our room was clean. The staff were friendly. The entire family enjoyed their stay.

Room Tip: You can opt to by a $100 meal package for $80 which is good on all the food places in GWL including...
1 Thank savy-mama97