“Great family fun.”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great family fun.”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Being from Indy, we normally go to Holiday Inn Express/Caribbean Cove. But the water park at Great Wolf Lodge (GWL) is bigger and better even if it is 2 hours away. We came during fall break (Mon & Tue) and the crowds were not too bad. The slides are fantastic, but the water is cool, but not cold or uncomfortable. My favorite was the water roller coaster. Our room for family of 5, Kids Cabin, was very spacious, had a great view of Kings Island from the balcony, and a fun bunk area for our 3 boys with their own TV. Only that my oldest son, 15, was too tall for the kids bunk beds. The beds are better suited for kids under 5.5ft tall. The food is pricy, as to be expected, and there are 4-5 places to eat at GWL, but there are good restaurants in the area for those who want to save money. They also have a scavenger hunt game involving wands called Magic Quest, but a wand is $30. Overall, it's a great place to have waterpark fun with the kids when it is too cold to be outside, but it is not inexpensive.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank piratespatterson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We just finished a family trip to GWL this past weekend. Overall, the experience was mediocre. Check-in went smooth, however room wristbands did not work requiring a swap. Upon entering room, noticed what appeared to either be spit or vomit on wall and orange peel on porch. One of the bunks was also missing a sheet. House keeping quickly took care of both issues. AC unit was very loud making sleep difficult. The facility as a whole is very dusty which concerned me as my son as asthma. Pool area bathroom behind hot-springs were full of feces when my wife went to use them. Lifeguards are top-notch and VERY attentive, which was great. Kids had a blast. For what you pay, I would expect much cleaner rooms and building. Will we return, probably not.

Room Tip: Get a room on the fourth/top floor. That way you do not hear all the kids running up and down the h...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BikeMike2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed in a KidCabin again, brought air mattress (bunk beds not comfortable). We had 1st floor room with patio- awesome in warm months kids can run outside safely. We pulled the kids out of school one Wednesday, had the waterpark to ourselves! Housekeeping and restaurant staff, Starbucks were wonderful. Front desk RUDE...had not encountered this in a dozen prior trips to Great Wolf. We bought Dunkin Donuts for the morning, and bought the GWL pizza...$11 large pepp, really good.

Room Tip: Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Jimmy Johns, DQ, Ruby Tuesdays all within a mile. GWL restaurants very ove...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rileyreese27
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Another family weekend to GWL this time in Mason , OH. This one has a wave pool which was a big hit with my 10 and 3 year old. We also all road the family tube ride- a couple of times.
This time we got a Kids Kamp room which the kids loved, especially since they got to hide away in their own space with their own TV. I allowed my oldest to get a pedicure at Scoops. The service was great and the staff were very friendly. And of course my daughter spent most of her weekend completing the Magic Quest game. Somehow we also squeezed in time to hit the arcade and bowling alley.
The food was good. Our room was clean. The staff were friendly. The entire family enjoyed their stay.

Room Tip: You can opt to by a $100 meal package for $80 which is good on all the food places in GWL including...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank savy-mama97
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Kids loved this place. The room was nothing fancy...clean...kid bunk super cute...they had their own tv. Of coarse we weren't in room much. Food is expensive at restaurant. We went with pizza. You could even drive up the road and pick up something. I thought the water was a bit cold...my kids still got in and didn't complain....but I was hoping for warmer in December. Lifeguards are on it and you will feel safe. All in all your kids will love it and you'll love seeing them have a great time. :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Independence, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I've stayed at this Great Wolf Lodge a minimum of 4 times now. It is close and easy access for us. This trip we had planned to go to Gatlingburg TN for New Years Eve but in early December we decided to cancel and change our plans. We were able to get a Kids Cabin Suite for our family of 5 + my mother for Dec 29-31, we opted to leave on the 31st as the rates went up significantly for the Holiday Night Stay. My experience has been off season weekends or week days are the most affordable, weekend & holidays the prices go pretty high. I compare staying here to being a theme park resort, like Disney, come expecting to pay resort prices. The kids love the pools and Magiquest the most. I like that i saw visiable security in the hotel while kids were playing Magiquest in the evenings. Likewise the lifeguard staff is top notch (unfortunately they had to make a rescue during one of our stays). The best meal value I think is in the resturant, not the buffet! We will be back again this year at some time. Watch for specials and deals!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Let me start by saying this was not our first trip to this particular Great Wolf Lodge. We LOVED everything about it the last time. My husband wanted to surprise our kids on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend and take them, which we did. The process of booking a room was great and they were wonderful and had a discount for veterans. With that being said it was still really expensive! Check was busy but that was to be expected on a holiday weekend and it was not big deal. The first room we were given had several gnats or fruit flies flying around the room when we checked in. I wasn't happy but my husband told me to let it go. then my kids took off their shoes and the found out that the carpet was SOAKED in front of the refrigerator. I called down to the desk to ask for more towels to try to dry the carpet and they offered to move us rooms, which I appreciated and felt was warranted at that point. The second room we entered appeared to be better except the couch cushions were not on the couch which made me question if it had been cleaned. We hurried and changed and went to the water park which was great. Upon returning to our room my kids found leftover m&ms on the carpet where it hadn't been properly vacuumed. Then they were playing with the brown quilt at the end of the bed and I noticed a white stain on it. I quickly grabbed the blanket from them and found that the part I grabbed had dried pizza sauce or something on it. GROSS!! That night I called the front desk and asked if the spa would be open the following day which I was told yes it would be. The next morning I went to the front desk to try to obtain pricing and find out what time it would be open and they told me it was closed due to the holiday. Then while we were going down to the pool we found out it was open. Not a huge deal but it honestly seemed like no one knew what the other one was doing at the front desk. We were up early that morning and the breakfast buffet didn't even open until 8am so there was numerous families standing waiting for it to open with hungry kids. Then after eating we realized that the pool didn't open until 10 which is not a huge deal but it seems like that would be a better flow for timing. If the quiet hours were from 11-7 then why not have breakfast places open at 8 and if families have to check out at 11 why is the pool not open until 10? Our plans were to get up early and eat and try to go to the pool for 2 hours prior to check out....this was not their fault as we didn't check the times the night before. But just a suggestion to have the times of things opening coincide better with families waking up and having hungry kids. Needless to say I was disappointed and felt it wasn't worth the money we had spent to go.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family