“Nice, Family Oriented, Convenient, Fun”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
“Nice, Family Oriented, Convenient, Fun”
Reviewed June 19, 2008

Beautifully themed lodge and waterpark. Very clean. Large attractive rooms. Family-friendly, safe environment. Walking distance to Kings Island.

We previously stayed at Great Wolf in Sandusky. The Mason Great Wolf is very similar but larger. The waterpark in the Mason Great Wolf includes a wave pool, roller coaster slide, and 'toilet bowl' slide...which makes the park more fun than Sandusky for the older kids. There is also a MagiQuest inside the hotel...spread over the 3 floor balcony areas in the lobby. It's not as much fun as the MagiQuest in Myrtle Beach...the one in Myrtle is in its own themed bulding. But, my kids were able to use their wands from Myrtle Beach and still had fun 're-doing' the quests and adventures.

• Liked — Very large, nicely themed KidKabin
  • Disliked — Clogged toilets in women's changing room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank skeeziks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Cincinnati
Reviewed June 7, 2008

This was my 2nd stay at the Great Wolf Lodge. The water park is great, if at times a little crowded, lines for big slides were a little slow. Especially since one of the "boats" was not operational, and the slide was operating with just one "boat". My concern was the condition of the room. We stayed in a KidCabin suite, as we had 5 children and 2 adults. the padding on the boxspring for the bed was ripped away, and then stuck back under the mattress. When we pulled the sheets down, the padding fell of the bed. Which, in its own right did not effect the use of the bed, but looked really shoddy, and makes one wonder what other details had been hidden or overlooked. The sofabed was in horrible condition and was unsleepable. This facility is just over 1 year old, but this particular room in its location is probably one of the more popular, and in my opinion need to be changed out or upgraded more often. Probably as disturbing as the condition, was the lack of response to complaints. I was simply told they were aware of the problem, but did not offer any compensation or even apologies for the situation.
Even after filling out a detailed questionaire from the company, I had no response from management. At $300+ a night, I expected better conditions and more professional service.

• Liked — The indoor water park
  • Disliked — The bedding conditions
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tracer77
Centerville, Ohio
Reviewed April 30, 2008

We ran into a snag on check in - apparantly the Sandusky location was booked, not the Mason (if they sent e-mail confirmations when booking on the phone this could have been avoided). Luckily they were not booked full. With the exception of this - check in was a breeze.

Room was very spacious. Plenty of room in a double for the 5 of us. The sink area is outside the restroom - which is very good with that many girls in one room. The beds were comfortable. I slept like a baby (maybe because I was worn out from swimming all day). The fridge is bigger than most hotels. Plenty of room in it. The one down side is the thin walls and the doors SLAM when closing on their own. For a light sleeper (or with noisy neighbors) this could be a huge problem for some.

The waterpark was wonderful. Bigger than I could imagine. I'm a little confused about the review on the lockers. The locker we had were out in the open in the water park. No problems getting in and out and plenty of room for all of our stuff.

The lines seemed to come and go - so if there is a long line for a slide - come back in an hour or two and it will be shorter. Lifeguards seemed to be on their toes. Always keeping an eye on the water. When the wave pool turned on - the lifeguard was on their feet going back and forth keeping an eye on everything.

We didn't get to eat here because the restaraunt closes too early. We had a late lunch planning to take advantage of the waterpark as much as we could. We went for a late dinner and they were closing their doors. Luckily there are plenty of options for dining close by.

I planned to leave around noon the next day but we were having so much fun - we didn't leave until after 5:00. Could spend days here and not get bored.

• Liked — Clean and lots of fun
  • Disliked — Thin walls
1 Thank Laura F
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed April 17, 2008

My family of five (two adults, three girls ages 2, 5, 9) stayed at this Great Wolf for the first time at the end of our spring break, which was the weekend after Easter. We usually go to the Sandusky Great Wolf Lodge, which is closer to where we live, but we came here because of a dance competition.

The kids, of course, had a wonderful time at the park. This waterpark is probably a little more entertaining than the one in Sandusky (bigger area for the toddlers, nice wave pool), and I like that there is a fast food Pizza Hut cafe right before you go into the waterpark (instead of just the snack bar inside the waterpark).

Here's what I didn't like compared to the Sandusky Great Wolf Lodge:
1) The lifeguards are not as vigilant here. We would see little toddlers left alone in the wave pool unattended, and they would be fine at first (before the waves started), but once the waves got going, they were in over their heads. My husband had to save one little toddler left in there himself while the parents sat at their tables drinking. The lifeguards really have to make sure little ones are not left unattended. They also need to enforce a wait time between kids going down slides so that kids don't get slammed from behind. I know it's a downer to be chastised by lifeguards, but I would rather err on the side of safety.

2) The locker rooms are not user-friendly. They are not open and spacious, compared to Sandusky. It is cramped, closed in, small corridors and spaces. There are only 3 or 4 shower stalls. So there was a long line of people waiting to get in and use these showers, and half of them just wanted to use them as changing rooms to get dressed. Very cramped. Plus, there were no dispensers to providing soap and shampoo in the showers. In Sandusky, it is a nice big, open shower room with multiple heads, multiple soap/shampoo dispenser, hooks for hanging towels and a bench at the side, all making it very easy to shuttle in there with your group of kids, quickly spray off the chlorine and do a quick once-over with the soap/shampoo.

Despite the above parental concerns and conveniences, the kids enjoyed themselves. I like the restaurant with buffet for dinner and breakfast - very family-friendly. The staff was nice. There was quite a line to get checked in; fortunately I was toward the front and didn't have to wait too long. We checked in about 12:30 pm, and we fortunately had a room ready (most were being told they weren't ready, but could use the lockers in the waterpark and start swimming. But after seeing the lockers, I'm glad we didn't have to go that route.).

We would return again. My kids prefer this Great Wolf because of the options in the waterpark, but as a parent, I prefer the Sandusky one.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank jaweil
Indiana
Reviewed April 14, 2008

My kids loved it! We had stayed in another GWL in Sandusky a few years ago and it was much smaller than this one at Kings Island. It is closer to home which makes it a bonus. The only real problem we had was people leaving fecal matter in the pools. It closed things down 3 times and then we decided to leave.... other than that they had a good time. The coaster slide is nice and the toilet bowl side is fun too. They even had a slide all five of us could go on.

• Liked — Being able to let my kids have some freedom and enjoy themselves.
  • Disliked — People not taking care of the smaller ones and letting them have a BM in the pools......
Cincinnati
Reviewed April 14, 2008

What a wonderful place to say! this is our second favorite indoor water park behind Kalahari Sandusky.

We always have a blast here! Great for a overnight trip....

• Liked — Waterpark
  • Disliked — Wait to check in
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
Avon, IN
Reviewed April 8, 2008

Our 2nd experience at the Great Wolf Lodge in Mason, OH, was 10 times better than our 1st. We stayed at the Lodge spring break 2007 and had a less than desireable experience. The family above us was jumping around and making noise well past the 11 PM curfew. This time, I made sure to request a room on the top floor away from the stairwells and elevators. I booked early on the hotel website and then I called the resv line to put in my request. I then called the front desk a couple of days ahead to again put my bid in for the top floor. I was going to be persistent this time. The rep informed me that they don't assign rooms until you arrive so if we get their early, we'll have a better chance of getting our choice. She was right! We arrived at 12:30 PM, just before the rush, and got our room right away!

We stayed in room 4006 and it was very quiet. We definitely got our exercise as the room was at the end of the hall but that was fine with us. A good night's sleep is priceless in my book. The waterpark didn't seem as crowded as last year either (we stayed Wed-Fri). Even when they had to shut down the water slides 2 times in one day, they were efficient about cleaning up the "mess" and getting them opened back up in timely manner. My daughter (7 yrs old) loved the lazy river and the arcade. She's not much for going on the slides but there was still plenty for her to do.

Here's a tip: bring visine. It's definitely a must with all the chlorine.

• Liked — The room and the near by restaurants and grocery store.
  • Disliked — Food is too pricey
1 Thank lambert1133