“Very disappointed returning customer!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Reviewed July 2, 2013

It all started when we first walked into our room. Being on an all girls trip our main concern was the amount of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash our room had. The body wash was partially full which left my daughter, niece & me puzzled. Was our room even cleaned before we came? The next morning I woke up and took what was supposed to be a shower, but felt more like a bath because the water would not drain. After pulling out clumps of blonde hair(we are all brunette) I finished my shower and then headed to use the blow dryer which also had hair cascading out of it.

To continue on, after a long morning at Kings Island we returned back to our room to find it untouched by the cleaning crew. We decided to go back to Kings Island at about 4 with hope that our room would be acknowledged by the time we returned. We came back to eat dinner at the hotel at about 8 o'clock. For dinner I ordered a Philly steak sandwich which was served to me with squeeze cheese on it. I was expecting something a little more mainstream like Cheddar cheese, which is what the menu said would be used. Also, my daughter & niece ordered a new York strip steak, which is $24.99, to split. When it was served to them it was not medium well like we had asked. When we told the waitress she really wasn't sure what to do, she asked them if they wanted a new steak to be made. Considering we'd been walking at the amusement park all day & waiting for our food for about a half hour, a new steak was not an option. Instead they ordered nachos. While the nachos were being made the manager addressed us. When I told him all the problems with our meal all he offered to do was remove the steak from the bill, which they didn't eat. He did not take my complaints seriously. He walked away and the waitress came back and I discussed with her how disappointed I was not only with the food but the way the manager handled the situation. She must have told him I was still upset because he eventually came back with a new attitude and offered us something more than taking food off the bill none of us ate. We all got free dessert.

After our experience at the restaurant, we returned to our room. The first thing I see when I opened the door is my bed has not been made. I examined the room to see if the cleaning crew had came to find out they had not. My room obtained the same wet towels from this morning. I went to the front desk & even after listing all my complaints all they did was bring us new towels. Talk about disappointment. No manager nor supervisor even came out to talk to me.

I am on vacation and I feel more stressed than relaxed. This is the first full day of our visit and I have never been so disappointed in my life. We have stayed at the Great Wolf five times and this is definitely the last. The amount of money it costs to stay in these rooms is too much for the service received.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank melissavk
There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at this location for 3 nights recently and while we had a great time, and the location was easily accessible, the room was not clean. It looked like it had not been cleaned, really cleaned in a long time. The lamps, ice bucket, and counters were dust covered. The bathroom looked like it had maybe been swept, but not mopped in some time. The beds were below average in comfort, and the sheets didn't stay on the bed. For the three twin beds in the room, the bottom sheet was folded in half and did not stay tucked in. As soon as you laid in the bed, it came un-tucked from the sides because it wasn't wide enough. The filters on the air conditioning unit were absolutely disgusting. Several of those in the party have allergies and we noticed the problem right away. We were able to pull the filters out and rinse them off, totally and completely covered in dust.

There seemed to be plenty of housekeeping workers in the hallways, but their cleaning directions must be to turn the rooms fast, so it is no wonder that the room was dirty. The friends I was with commented that the last time they stayed (two years ago) it was not dirty, it was very clean. Something has changed in housekeeping.

There is little to no soundproofing, the room above us had children that ran wild at all hours of the day and night. It sounded like they were about to come through the ceiling. There was also much running in the halls, with no visible sign of security in the building or hallways to monitor guest actions or safety.

Would I stay here again? Probably, the location next to Kings Island is excellent, but would do so knowing that the room may well be dirty.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband, 3 kids (6 yrs, 3 yrs and 1 yr) and I stayed at this GWL for 2 nights. We were on a 14 day road trip, and this was one of our stays on our way back home. We checked in about 6pm, and the line was not long. The staff person was friendly. After checking in, we went to the room to check it out. It was on the 2nd (main floor), but right next to the elevator, stairs AND ice/vending machines!! I called the front desk and asked if there were any other rooms available because with 3 young kids bedtime would be a nightmare with all that noise outside our room. The person said they would check and call us back. Well, I didn't want to wait, so we walked to the front desk to talk to someone face-to-face. They said they were totally booked up because of a convention going on in the hotel, but they had one room that was on the 3rd floor at the VERY end...like the last room at the end of the hall AND next to the stairs. We asked if we were given that room with the terrible location because we checked in so late in the day that all the other rooms were taken? She said no our room was assigned when we booked it, and because we didn't specify that we didn't want to be near to those things (stairs, elevator, ice/vending) they assign those rooms first. Good to know!! We opted for the second room because at least we didn't have the other 2 annoyances to deal with.

So, we walk to this room. It is SO far. This GWL is HUGE! I later learned from another staff person that is 1 mile to walk from one end of the Lodge to the other. So, it is a 1/2 mile walk from our room every time we want to go the main part of the Lodge. Normally, not a huge deal, but with 3 kids...HUGE deal!! We get in the room, and it is as we expected. We are in the Wolf Den...bunk beds for the kids in a separate area, and we have a queen bed. My husband hangs out with the kids while I go to the car. When I get back, there is a guy in our room replacing our TV. He says they were just installed a couple days ago...already broken??? So, we hang around waiting for him to finish up. While he's there, we ask him about the strong odor we smell...like chemicals. He says a bathtub on the 4th floor just had sealant applied. It smelled like it was in OUR bathroom the smell was so strong. We wondered if they ventilated at all. It was seeping down to the 3rd floor so bad! The repair person then leaves with the broken TV, and after 30 minutes or more he hasn't returned. We call the front desk to ask if we have to wait for him. His phone and tools are still in our room. They say no. So, we've wasted a lot of time with room changes and TV repairs. We decide to put on our bathing suits and go check out the waterpark area. It is nearly 8pm by now. When we walk out of our room, the smell is still awful. It can't be good for any of us to be breathing this stuff especially our kids. We walk down the stairs, and a maintenance person is walking up the stairs spraying Fabreeze! I say "Huh, using more chemicals to cover up the smell of the other chemicals?!?" The person responds, "Yep, you won't smell a thing!" Really??

We get to the waterpark, and it is really nice. Much bigger than the one in Traverse City, MI. They have a great smaller kid area with 4 different waterslides. They also have some family raft rides that were fun to take the 6 and 3 year old on. The lazy river was nice as well as the wave pool. The kids LOVED the waterpark!! We had fun too as adults. One downside was you can't take kids on your lap on ANY side...even the tiny, short slides, so our 1 year old could just splash in the water or we carried him everywhere. So, it is best to go these Lodges with kids who can walk and aren't afraid of water. Otherwise, you'll be standing around a lot with your little ones or taking turns a lot to do anything with the older kids.

We ate in the restaurant late our first night there after the waterpark, and by late I mean like 10pm. There were a ton of people standing around drinking at the bar which was weird since this place seems really geared for kids. I guess they were the convention crowd or something. Anyway, I ordered a turkey club along with fruit, and it was great. My husband ordered a hamburger, and it came out raw! He asked for medium, and it was worse than rare. The wait person was even shocked and took it back to the kitchen. It took another 15-20 minutes for him to get another burger, and she didn't even comp it! Not very customer friendly. The kids menu is your standard restaurant fare for kids,,,,fried everything or cheese products. I would have thought AGAIN since these Lodges are so geared to kids they'd have a better kid's menu and more options. Needless to say, we didn't get out of there until 11:30pm, and then we had our 1/2 mile walk to the room!

We had breakfast at the buffet in the Lodge, and it was decent but pricey. The following morning we opted to go to Bob Evans for breakfast a short distance from the Lodge. Great food and much more reasonable price.

The next night we were woken up by the person above us at 2:30AM! He was banging around, dropping things on the floor, talking on his phone, etc. I almost called the front desk, but eventually quieted down after awhile. Pick a room on the top floor to avoid this.

All in all, there were a lot of things that turned me off about this particular GWL. The waterpark is very nice and big, but the other aspects of this Lodge didn't make it worth the money it costs to stay there. Maybe if we hadn't run into so many problems, my opinion would be different.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify where you DON"T want a room (near stairs, elevator, ice/vending or at the VE...
1  Thank COfamily2004
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

As first time buyers of this chain, we enjoyed it a lot. The prices are a little high for casual use but expected for a destination theme park. The property is very clean and well maintained. The room was HUGE (And we booked the cheapest) the staff was attentive and the water park was fun for all ages (dad & mom 40s, 13, 6, 3) 10/10 would stay again!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights. We arrived around 3:30 and our room was ready. We took our bags up and noticed the housekeeper left her rags in there. She saw me putting them in the hallway and apologized profusely. I figured that at least she had cleaned in there :). We went to Kings Island for the evening which is just a short walk from Great Wolf Lodge. Our beds were not too bad and we were well rested. We are early risers so we wished breakfast service would have started before 8:00 a.m. Also, the restaurant staff should enforce that swimwear is not acceptable at the table. The waterpark didn't open until 10:00, which was also a problem for us early birds. We spent all day at the park and at the outdoor pool. The slides were a blast and the lifeguards are friendly and attentive. We had fun at the arcade and at mini-golf, too. Overall, it was a fun little getaway!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 28, 2013

June 25-27 we stayed at Great Wolf Park. The family suite was very nice! Dining was an experience i will not repeat. The food didn't look fresh and the meats were tasteless and dry.The wolf pizza place had terrible chicken parm and stromboli.

The water park was fun and better earlier in the week.
Also
Thank God for Starbucks!!!!!

Most of the staff seemed happy! But the place is a little tired and they charge you for every little thing. The prizes in the arcade are too high in points as 20$ doesn't go far.

Room Tip: if you stay, try not to eat there but make a right on 611 to the many local restaurants for better f...
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We recently spent the weekend at Great Wolf Lodge and our kids (ages 6, 8 & 10) LOVED every minute of it! We also spent a day at Kings Island - and while the kids enjoyed it they were eager to get back to the indoor waterpark at Great Wolf Lodge - it was the highlight of their trip. As a mom I appreciated the mini-fridge and microwave in the hotel room - we stocked up on snacks which helped keep the trip affordable. The indoor water park was one of the best we've been to - the water slides were even exciting for my husband and I. Something for everyone - from my 9 month old niece to my husband who loves adventure!