“If you get a deal then well worth it!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Great Wolf Lodge in Mason is a nice place to stay that is close to us. We live in Columbus, OH so it was only 1 1/2 hrs away, compared to 2 1/2 to 3 hrs for Kalahari, which we also enjoyed last year. We stayed for one weekday night with a discount booked directly on Great Wolf's web site. As a value with the room and water park included it's a good deal. Arrived right at noon, well before check in time. Check in was quick, about 10 minutes, and they already had our room ready, which was a surprise. I can only assume they were not busy, but I wasn't complaining. Everyone gets a bracelet that is used to get into your room and play for everything while onsite. Very thought out, and rest assured that the little one's bracelets are for id only, they cannot open the rooms or buy anything. Went straight to the room and changed there, much more convenient than the locker rooms. I do have to agree with other reviews, their locker rooms need to be larger and have more than one family changing area. Room was clean and well kept. I thought it was much nicer room than the room at Kalahari. Updated and kind of a cabin type feel. Plenty of room to stretch out, bathrooms were nice, no signs of mold or general filthiness.

The one downfall of the rooms: the bed. Wow is it hard. If you like an ultra stiff mattress then you will be at home. I didn't not sleep well on it, had a sore back the next morning. They need to upgrade the beds and pillows to keep the parents happy. On to the resort itself.
The water park is great. Yes it's smaller than some of the others, but it is packed with plenty for all ages. They use the space well! The little ones, like my 3 yr old, have an area with 5 slides and a large pool area with lots of doo-dads to make water squirt everywhere. The wave pool is a good size with plenty of room for everyone, and your allowed to take the clear rafts into it. The larger slides were great, I tried all of them when the little one went down for a nap. The Triple Twist was my favorite, but Coyote Cannon and the Hydro Plunge water coaster were a tie for a close second place. A bonus was that the River Canyon Run ride that seats up to 4 allowed my 3 yr old adventure seeker to ride with us! Every other indoor park that we've been to had nothing like this to ride for our fearless little one. He loved it! The lazy river is a bit short but that's to be expected. The bar overlooks the wave pool, had a good vibe and loved the location. The food offered inside the park was away from the action so it provided a nice place to relax and have a snack. I must say this is the best indoor water park I've been to so far, in my opinion.

Now for the water park negatives: Not enough rafts. You have to have a clear raft to ride the lazy river and there was way too few in it. We had to wait for up to 15 minutes just to get 2 rafts. You can take these to the wave pool so they need more to service both the pool and the lazy river. The locker rooms are too small. This place is built for families but you only have 1 family changing room? Really? This needs fixed pronto.

Impressions with the rest of the facility's amenities:
-Public areas are nicely kept and engaging. Lots of log cabin type stuff here with of course wolves.
-Game room was above average with many selections of games, mostly for ticket winning. They also have mini bowling which we had a lot of fun with.
-We went to the Great Clock Tower Show at 8pm. It was just ok, it didn't keep my young guy's attention. I liken it to a low rate Disney animatronic show from back in the 80's. I like the idea of it but the presentation needs more work. The story time afterward with one of the staff was much better. Little man's always up for a good book.
-We did not purchase it, but they have something called Magi-Quest which is an adventure that the kids play through out the hotel. I saw many kids playing it and they all seemed to be having fun. Almost made me want to play!
-We did not eat lunch or dinner on site, it seemed limited and pricey for our tastes. The pizza place at the entrance of the water park looked and smelled good though.
-We ate at the buffet for breakfast before checking out. It was a great value. The selection of food was above average and they offered made to order omelettes that they brought to your table. This was a highlight. So were the free fresh made smoothies. Very good.

All in all a nice trip and if you live somewhat close and find the right deal Great Wolf Lodge will not disappoint you. Have fun!

Room Tip: Most room don't have much of a view but if you want peace get something facing the Kings Island...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ohcoasterfreak
There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge

Reviewed May 8, 2013

It was a short trip, 1 night and 2 days. this park is very clean and has the best lifeguards i have ever seen. they are extremely attentive and constantly moving to have an unostructed view of the water. They have an excellent buffet, the price was very good, along with the food (crab legs).

Room Tip: booked room on a special discount, when you get there ask about a free upgrade.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LJEMTE
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Arrived on Saturday about 2 pm. Check-in was a little slow and rooms were not available until after 3 pm. We went to the locker rooms and changed into swim suits so we could enjoy the water park. The locker rooms were very small for this size property, especially considering the hotel rooms were not available. Wet towels were laying everywhere. It was very messy. I would suggest that if possible, you arrive with your swim suits on so you don't need to go through this.
When you check in everyone receives a bracelet with an RFD chip. From that point on, you do not need cash, a wallet or credit cards. Every purchase is made using your bracelet. Even entry into your hotel room is via the bracelet. There are no room keys or card. Smart and easy to use the bracelet.
Seating around the water park can be a problem. People take over tables and chairs and disappear for hours. Many resorts are enforcing rules that if you are not using your table and chairs your possessions will be picked up and stored. This gives more people the opportunity to have access instead of being monopolized by people who may not even be in the water park. Great Wolf should consider establishing a policy.
In the water park is a snack bar, and a beverage bar with beer, wine, and liquor and some food. Just before entering the water park is a pizza restaurant and a sweet shop.
There are a variety of tubes and slides for ages two to adult and water effects areas where kids can spray water on friends and strangers. The temperature in the water park is 84 degrees, but the water is a little on the cool side for some people.
The property was good for families, nice rooms, comfortable and there were shows held in the lobby several times a day. Three year old grand daughter loved it.
We had dinner in the Bar and Grill just off the lobby and the food and service were good.
While there is room for improvement, I would gladly go back.

Room Tip: Wear your bathing suit to the park.
1  Thank Russ106
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed May 4th overnight for my daughter's 6th birthday. We had a great time! It is definitely the best indoor waterpark we've ever visited! I loved the wolf den room, it was well worth the extra cost. I have no complaints and am eager to plan our next stay!

1  Thank lhw30
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here on May 1st for one night (2 days). Was very wonderful as there was maybe only 4 other familys in the park on weds. Our 3 year old had a blast. Highly recommend the paw pass. However, I have seen many places where people rave about how clean the resort is, I myself felt like it was a little dirty, AND VERY DUSTY. looking around at pictures and statues they had layers of dust. The carpet in our room was so dirty I didnt go without shoes. Also, the bottom of the pools had debris and a green film. Overall, it was nice, but I wish they would hire someone to dust every now and again.The friendly staff was the best part of this stay.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We spent 1 night/ 2 days here in April 2013. Total cost, for these 2 days was around $500 for a family of 6 (kids: 1,3,5,7). The older loved loved the waterpark and wore themselves out there. The 3 year old was a little timid and the 1 year old was tough. Also, unless you went into the 'hot tub' (really a warmer pool), it was COLD.

It says a constant 84 degrees in there but, in some pools, most notably the wave pool, it was cold. Also, the wave pool was only a wave pool some of the time. Other times, it was just a pool.

The room was clean. It was kinda noisy but then, with that many kids around, that's hardly a surprise. We ate at one restaurant on site: our server ignored us until we almost walked out. It appears she did not know she was our server. I don't get it but, even as the food was pretty good, it tainted the meal a little.

We were there at a weekend so it got pretty busy. Chek-in was quick and our room was already available at 1.30pm. The wait times for some of the water slides were annoyingly long. Only later in the evening (post 9pm) did the lines thin out a little. Life guards all over the place but, despite what I'd read about security, there was no one checking you leaving the waterpark. Someone could easily take your child. Now I stay pretty close to my kids as they are all still little but it made me a little uneasy nonetheless.

Enjoyable trip for the most part.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank stellarossa451
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We really enjoyed the water park. It was perfect for our 4 year old. The older children in our group got bored after a few hours. The hotel had many paid activities to keep children entertained. We would highly recommend this resort to families with younger children (9 and under).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family