“Not a good value” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Not a good value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

First and foremost, we were told that check-in is at 4 pm but you may arrive early and may get your room based on availability. We arrived at 4:10 pm, and our room was not ready (king bed). So they gave us different room (2 queens)...our toilet was not clean, in fact there was fecal matter on back of the seat. Hard to believe. We called the front desk and they had housekeeping come up to clean it.

As for the park, the water park is nice but not worth the price. This could easily be a day trip but what they have done is add the hotel such that you ARE FORCED to pay for a night stay. Another water park in Cincinnati, called "cocoa key" allows you to pay for the day and that's it. It is very inexpensive and a much better value The waterpark at Great Wolf is a little bigger than Cocoa Key, but this definitely does not justify the cost. You're looking at a cost of 300 dollars versus 40 dollars at Cocoa Key. There are many other things to do at Great Wolf, all at additional cost of course. The Arcade is nice, but there is also an arcade at Cocoa Key.

All in all, our children (7 and 2 years old) had a great time at Great Wolf. And in the end that's what it's all about. We didn't go for our own pleasure, we went for our kids. However, our feeling is that this is a "racket", not a good value all in all. Kids don't know the value of money so you take them to any waterpark and they have a blast.

We went on a Sunday/Monday (not a holiday weekend), and it was still fairly crowded, had to stand in line for many of the rides.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve60993

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We just got back from the great wolf lodge in mason, Ohio. We have 4 children ages 4-12. The slides were fun for all of them, and we did not wait in line for more than 5 minutes.

We stayed in the kid cabin room, which was perfect for our family size. To save money on food at the lodge, i brought my electric skillet from home and cooked all meals! i found it best to bring an extension cord and cook on the balcony;)

We spent most of our time either at the water park, arcade or craft area. I would recommend bringing over the door hooks for swim suit drying... as there was only 1 hook in our room. Don't bother bringing towels, they are provided throughout the lodge. We stayed 2 nights and that was just enough time to see and do everything at least twice.

Also, be prepared for a workout! All slides have about 7 flights of concrete stairs!

Overall this was a great vacation for our family, our kids did not want to leave... and we plan on going every year!

*** no complaints***

• Stayed February 2013
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We love Great Wolf Lodge. We have 3 kids: 3,2 &1. Even with them being so small, there is so much they are able to do. They love the waterpark and never wanted to leave. They loved the little slides in the kiddie area because they could go down themselves (they have life jackets!) and the lifeguards are very attentive. the arcade is awesome. Best arcade we've been to in a hotel. my kids LOVE playing "claw machines". The suite was awesome and very clean! I love that I felt comfortable with my 1 year old crawling around on the floor in the room. The kids loved the Cub Club and it's activities. Overall, I felt the hotel was very clean. I mean, they were cleaning inside the claw machine and cleaning the arcade games... I liked seeing that! I guess the only downfall is the price of the food. I thought it was a bit overpriced, but we were willing to pay and it won't keep us from going back. I can't wait to go when the kids are a bit older and can be more independent. Everyday the kids are asking to go back to "our vacation". We will definitely go back! Thanks for a great time!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Momma M
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We purchased a groupon for this hotel as a fun way to break up the winter boredom. As our trip approached I saw an increasing number of complaints about bed bugs. Nothing worries me more about traveling than bed bugs!

I spoke to people who had encountered them and gained as much preventative knowledge as possible. Upon check-in I told the clerk that I was nervous about the issue. She was very kind and took time to talk to me about the issue. She acknowledged there had been problems, she told me what they've been doing to solve it, and then she told me how to check for them. She said to put our bags in the tub while we searched the room and to call the desk immediately if we found anything suspicious.

I was prepared to search. I have a family member in pest control and know where and how to look. I had a flashlight. I tore the beds apart, looked in every nook and cranny of the headboards and other furniture. I didn't see a sign of them before, during or after our stay. Success! We were in room 4098.

Moving on to our experience otherwise....

The resort is huge and the decor is fun. Kids EVERYwhere, running, laughing, shouting. They were in heaven. The hotel has done some nice things to make the stay easier. For example you have a wrist band that is your pass to the water park. It also acts as your room key and your credit card. Reminded me of the ease of cruise travel. Love it. Especially with a little one, it was nice to have less to keep track of every time you leave the room.

The water park was lots of fun for our 2 year old. There were designated "younger" areas that he just loved to be in, and he wasn't overwhelmed by bigger or rough-playing kids. On the other hand, there were no restrictions about where he could go. So when he got brave enough, it was fun to climb the stairs and walk around all the catwalks with the water cannons and sprinklers. I had no idea he would enjoy it this much. I can't wait to take him back.

The only complaint I have is the size of the locker room. More changing areas (and larger ones) are needed ASAP. It was really challenging to change myself and a toddler in a 3x3 stall with a plastic curtain and no hooks to hang bags/clothing on.

We ate dinner at the bar & grill. The food was average. The service was excellent. We had breakfast in the big buffet the next morning. That was my favorite. Lots of options and again VERY friendly staff.

We'll be back for sure. Fingers crossed that the bed bug issue is a thing of the past. The clerk did say the hotel was closed for a "cleaning" period. Hopefully they took care of it for good.

Room Tip: The loft rooms offer separate space but not necessarily privacy. The noise carries between the level...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Continues to be one of our favorite quick family getaway spots. Arrived and there was a pretty good line to check in. The line moved pretty quick. The front desk person was very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and just what we expected. The entire staff at GWL was friendly. We had a great time in the water park area.

Room Tip: This trip we were on the 4th floor to the left. Seemed to be quiet. Didn't hear much noise at a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Its great, especially if you have kids.

The water park is what is the major pull here. It can be a little overly chlorinated, so take breaks. There is plenty for kids and adults alike. There are tons of slides, most of which you can have multiple people ride, which is great if your kids want you with them, and vice versa. There's a huge kiddy pool area with sprinklers and what not for the smaller tots.

The lazy river is the best part. You can grab an intertube just about anywhere around it and hop in. From some of the slides you can even go right into it and float around.

There are tons of activities going on. A Magicquest for kids, storytime before bed for the wee ones, and an arcade in the basement. And the bakery, has the best breakfast around! If you go in the winter, they also make it snow in the lobby!

The check in process can be a little long sometimes, and as i said, the pool area is way over chlorinated. They also have cabanas to rent but they're expensive.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank iagomega
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Not at all worth the amount per night. Water park wasn't at all what we expected for the price. Only a few slides and small pools. Bedtime story thing however was very nice. Personally won't ever go again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family