“Great Family Fun”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Pickerington, Ohio
“Great Family Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was our fourth visit to this lodge. The waterpark is great. They have several different areas for all ages of children. This was my first visit during summer and it was just as much fun as winter. We enjoyed being able to go outside and sit around the outdoor pool on this trip. We visited the spa this time and the service was superb. The food is a little pricey and just okay - we have eaten at both of the main floor dining areas and nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: I would recommend pool level, that way you are not up and down elevators and stairs to get to the wa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have been to the Dallas and the KC lodge so those are my comparisons. This lodge is bigger than KC but smaller than Dallas. Dallas is still the best to me due to the size and overall experience. This is a good size lodge with a wave pool and the kids can ride on all but two of the big rides as long as with an adult. The front desk staff was not nearly as friendly nor were several of the life guards. They were not rude just not friendly and outgoing like in the other two lodges. However, the lady in the gift shop and the starbucks counter were wonderful. The fitness room was nice but even with an adult, they do not allow under 18 in the room. Seems like highschool aged teens should be able to workout. Nothing is open before 8am so you cannot get coffee or anything to eat unless you leave the lodge. Then, the buffet is only open from 8 to 11 but the camp critter doesn't open until 11:30 so for 30 min you cannot eat at either restaurant. It just seems strange that they don't open consecutively so there is always a restaurant open. The pizza is good. There was a little bit of a musty smell in the room I think it is because everything is always so wet. Not bad just slight. Overall we had a great time and would return. Additional note: a frustration is the inconsistency from one lodge to another with the pool rules. Some you can wear water shoes on the slides, some you can't. Some you can wear goggles on the slides, some you can't. Hours of operation are different. This one kids with adult can go on big rides but cannot at others. Just seems odd to have the differences within the same organization. Most folks probably don't visit multiple lodges so don't run into this. Just a note of somethings we saw.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TwotimesMommy
Harpster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel is gear for both kids & adults. My young son & teenage daugher both ha a great time & keep sking to go back. One day we gave he kids a choice of going t Kings Island o sayn in te loge & they both didn't hesitate to agree to stay & swim & play at the lodge! I hae traveled al over the world & the food is GREAT. They had a steak at the main "sit down cafe" that must have had the same seasoning & gravy as the best steak I had ever put in my mouth which I first tasted in Germany i the 1990's but the portions at Great Wolf Lodge we much bigger! They have activities for both young & older children & the waterpark was clean, very well maintained & managed! This was great fun for the whole family & I would rate it as one of the best "fun" hotels for th money!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Powell, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at the Mason Great Wolfe Lodge in combination with a trip to Kings Island. King's Island was much fun, great service, I MAY stay here again. I will start with the positives, I didn't find the food horribly overpriced as many reviewers did. We had the Sunday brunch and pizza, both were very good. The brunch service was awesome, wish I could remember our waitresses name! A nice path to Kings Island saved parking money. I did try to get an added room for additional family members and GW would not give me the discount I received on my original booking with a promo code. I found that not only annoying, but silly on their part. Why would you not want me to bring more guests to your hotel? The weekend before school started, they certainly had availability. Oh well, my son stayed home and went to Cedar Point. Online check in was easy, the staff was fine. I asked about bed bugs and the staff members seemed to look at each other and refer me to management. He fumbled over himself a little and assured us they check and treat when there are issues. My question was never directly answered but our room was fine, no bugs or evidence of such. The room was clean, bedding clean; just fine. Now the negatives. We stayed in a kid cabin, the bunk and day bed are very small. There's no indication of that when you book, but my daughter and her friend were bumping their heads on the wood "decor" all night. Mattresses were coated in some sort of plastic; it's hot, noisy and very uncomfortable. The regular queen bed in this room was just fine. The resort is tired, dated and dirty. While the rooms were ok, the halls and entertainment areas are in much need of cleaning and updating. The gold elevator doors and stairway doors are dripped/streaked with something, I pray it was cleaner. The carpet told me otherwise, the carpets are filthy and coming up in the corners in the elevator and halls. This is a water park hotel, dirty carpets send one's mind to a nasty place. The water park was fun, perfect for younger kids; it's no Kalahari. The wave pool is super fun and also in much need of a coat of blue paint on the bottom (brown spots near drains, etc) Changing areas in the pool area are much to small, we waited to change and they were not crowded at all. They were also not bright and shiny, and dated. The staff could be friendlier, especially to kids. We thought we may take our 4 year old niece to the kid spa.. much too expensive! It was a good place to stay when visiting Kings Island, as if there is bad weather, you still have something to do. That being said, I would never stay more than one night. If I was to do that, I would do Kalahari and Cedar Point.

3 Thank 2kids2dogs1965
St. Croix
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Water park and food was fine. Room in desperate need of upkeep. The shower didn't drain properly and changed rooms at 1am because the AC froze up due to a dirty filter. Waited forever on the room change. I'm very cranky when I can sleep!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank KellyGreerCulp
amma,WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

As always we experinced a fast and friendly check in,I don't remember the girls name that checked us in but I do remember she was from the concord nc lodge,she made us feel very welcome. That evening after dinner we went back to our room and found a gift of candy and water for being a returning guest. This would be our 6th trip to this great wolf the major improvement for us was dining service,in previous trips we started dining off resort due to terrible service,we diceded to give it another try and were very pleased. We stayed 4 days and went to all the resturants and snack bars service and food were excellent at all. The down side was housekeeping/cleanliness,the room was ok but a bit dirty a little dirt in bathroom one bug in livingroom witch probably came through patio door,no big deal we cleaned it up no problem no complaints. Housekeeping on the other hand was quite annoying they would wait till 3-4:00 in the afternoon and catch us in the room and instead of cleaning the room and taking out the trash they would want to give us towels and go on. I had to go to them two different days and try to get service,mabe we have never noticed this because we normally only stay a nite or two. With that being the only down fall we had an enjoyable stay and will likely return soon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I should start by saying that we read the poor reviews from some customers and decided that for a weekend getaway we'd give it a try. The online booking seemed unwieldy and I couldn't find answers to some questions about the room, even with web chat, so I called the 800 number for live assistance. I was told that the view for a king, whirlpool suite was a courtyard and my sister and I decided that even though it was pricey ($415/night with taxes and resort fees), we'd give it a whirl. Surely for that price it would be great! It seems that Great Wolf Lodge doesn't understand that with rising rates come higher expectations. The lodge is easy to find and check in didn't take too long given that we arrived on a Friday evening in August. When I tried to confirm the view, the front desk agent laughed and said none of the rooms have views, your choice is a service road or the parking lot. She was right! We had a view of the dumpsters on the service road and a never ending parade of people wheeling large bins of linens/garbage, and in one case, a cart full of broken furniture. After check-in we just tossed our luggage in the room and set out to explore the hotel. We ate dinner in the only table service restaurant on property and had great burgers for a fairly reasonable price for hotel dining ($30 for two, no alcohol or dessert). When we returned to the room around 11 that night, on closer inspection we found it to be DIRTY. Hair in both tubs, a disgusting white filmy substance in the whirlpool tub (that I don't even want to contemplate what it might have been!), hair on the towels, floss in the bathroom floor, and carpet that clearly had not been vaccumed. Since the sheets were clean, we decided to wait until morning to address the issue, not wanting to go back out and wait for housekeeping to re-do the room--that turned out to be our mistake. On Saturday morning, I went to the front desk to lodge our complaint and was assured that our room would be "deep cleaned". We got back around 5 pm and found the carpet still a mess, now with food on it that we hadn't brought (where did that come from?), and trash in front of the fireplace/porch door. I called the manager and was assured (once more) that it would be addressed when we went out for dinner. We got back around 10 and the room had finally been cleaned, after 2 complaints and 3 visits from housekeeping. I spoke to the manager on Sunday morning regarding the bill for our dirty room for Friday night and he thought it was reasonable that it be decreased by $100. By my math, that takes a dirty, unsanitary room down to about $300 per night. Ludicrous. I left a message for the hotel general manager on Monday, still upset. She returned my call at midday on Tuesday and let me know that since I didn't call Friday night, the responsibility for the dirty room was mine; they commonly (WHAT? Commonly?) get complaints about the cleanliness of the rooms and address them at check-in. She did say she'd decrease the room rate by 50%. I can't believe that a hotel this size that thinks it's fine enough to charge such high rates would get so many complaints without addressing the problem in a more global manner by educating housekeeping staff. I also had difficulty believing that the responsibility is mine. We've stayed at hotels that charge $40/night that were cleaner. I will not stay here again and cannot recommend that anyone else do so either. Regarding the rest of the visit: the water park was fun, but I have to disagree with reviews that compare it to Disney, not even close, though much cheaper, and not as far away. The food was reasonably priced for the location and portion sizes. The spa services are great and the spa staff outstanding.

8 Thank katetheworldtravelle