“Another Great Stay At Great Wolf Lodge”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Mason
McCordsville, United States
“Another Great Stay At Great Wolf Lodge”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

This was maybe our fifth or sixth stay at Great Wolf Lodge, We considered not going because of previous reviews concerning bed bugs. Before we even unpacked the car my daughter and I carefully inspected the beds between the mattresses and box springs and everything looked very clean. Check-in was crowded because it was Fall Break in Indiana, but it took only about a half hour. The room was ready immediately, and everything was nice and clean. This visit it seemed that management was really on the ball and everything seemed to go very smoothly. We ate dinner at the Loose Moose Cottage both nights because our kids LOVE it! Anything a kid likes they usually have. We were seated right away both nights and the waiter and waitress were very friendly and prompt about removing dirty plates and bringing drinks. In the water park we got lunch at the snack bar one day and the service there was quite prompt, which wasn't the case in the past. All in all we had no complaints on this trip to Great Wolf Lodge and we all had fun.

The only thing that went wrong on this visit was that my son lost his brand new camera that he had purchased with his own birthday money. He loves to take pictures and make videos and he was very excited to photograph the Magicquest game and record fighting the dragon. On Friday night he lost his camera, which was a small gray Canon camera, and no one turned it in. From viewing the photos and videos on it, it is clearly a kid's camera and whoever didn't turn it in should be ashamed of themselves! The hotel workers were nice and said they were sorry, but only after repeated inquiries at the front desk did a nice lady provide me with a "lost report" to fill out. I doubt if my son will ever get his camera back, but if any guest who reads this was at Great Wolf Lodge the night of October 21st and knows anything about my son's lost camera, please send me an email. We would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Room Tip: Request top floor for reduction in noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I have been going to the Great Wolf Lodge a number of times over the past years and this last trip was the best of seven or six visits. I mentioned to my wife they really stepped up their game in the waterpark arena and are a serious challenge to Kalahari in my opinion. It was the little things that added up to a great time.
First, when we checked in and unpacked a knock came at the door and it was a welcome bag of popcorn and a friendly staff member thanking us for coming back and choosing Great Wolf. The treat was nice, but it was the care and recognition that we were repeat guests that impressed the misses and me. Later we came back to the room to find a nice note under the door from the management telling us that if we needed anything to not hesitate to contact them directly. A first class resort has management that does not hesitate to address the needs of visitors and this letter represented that to me. We also had seen throughout our stay that managers and all employees were constantly helping guests which could not be that easy a job when all 400 rooms are occupied.
Just to let other people know the best times to ride the slides in the park are early in the am at opening and after 6 pm the weee ones tend to crash and burn the young parents out. They have a super ride called the triple twist that this fat man rode at least seven times, also a water coaster that is fantastic and a toilet bowl ride that cant be beat. The pizza deal at the park is a great value and at 12 bucks for a large cheese fed the gang twice lunch and another ordered for dinner. Starbucks is on the grounds as well which makes the mornings go better.
The adventure agem that they have is called Magi Quest and the kids love the thing. The young lady at the game counter was extremely helpful and friendly plus rescued my wife a number of times. That is only one of a many activities designed around little ones that make the GWL a family friendly place. I haven't mustered up the attempt at the buffet yet due to the impressive 17.99 cost which I don't think includes a beverage or the tip so if you have cash to burn, or are visiting on a Gman salary , 100 bucks for a family of four may not seem steep but they have other pedestrian options that my family chooses. Plus, those government AMEX cards are so gauche at a water park. Anyway, it was a very excellent adventure kids had fun , wife was happy , & I had a blast. Thank you Great Wolf staff!

2 Thank waterparkfan
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed October 18, 2011

after reading some of the reviews almost did not go. was afraid my older kids would not enjoy this. check in staff very nice. we arrived about 2pm, checked in, was given our ID braclets to wear to the water area --also very cool our room key was a chip made into the braclet. the water was a good temp (some reviews said too cold) we were there on a sunday afternoon, not too crowded. my kids were 10,14,18. they all had a great time. even my older ones said it was better than they really thought it would be. the majority of activities are geared toward young kids, story time at night in their pjs, trick or treating at the different stops (front desk, gift shop, snack shop etc--no rooms to go to). several reviews stated that it was not close to any places to eat. as it turned out, there were several places very close. burger king, wendys, jimmy johns, DQ, ruby tuesdays and outback. try to stay on the 4th floor the ceilings are vaulted and the rooms feel bigger. it was somewhat noisy with all the kids, but there are 'hibernation hours' listed from 11p-7a. as stated in the other reviews everything was very pricey $$$$$. don't plan to eat there, take snacks and visit DQ.

2 Thank family778811
Edgewater, Florida
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We are return customers and love the premise and the park. Two grandkids 4 and 2 both love it and with their Magiquest game we feel we have many more years to look forward to. With that said we booked a "family suite" as it was just my daughter & I and grandkids this trip (the guys stayed home). it is roomy enough for 2 adults and 2 kids BUT THE AIR CONDITIONING IS A MAJOR FACTOR. it is a wall unit. The living room area where it was in the wall got cooler and the bedroom (on the other side of the wall) was cool and warm, cool and warm as it cycled. We had to turn it all the way down to get bedroom cool (making it too cold for anyone to stay in living room). it sounded like a freight train rattling and wheezing as it cycled on and off. Actually woke up the kids several times when it cycled on. As for my daughter and I sleep was somewhat unpleasant, you woke up warm and sweaty, then it cycled on and you woke up cold and pulled the covers up, making you wake up sweaty when it cycled off. We both were uncomfortable the 3 nights we were there. And when chasing after the little ones we sure wanted just ONE good nights sleep. With what you pay here one would expect more than a Motel 6 type AC system.
We did enjoy the trip. I still hold by my previous review that it is NOT as expensive as people indicate. Two adults two kids, three nights, over 80 arcade tokens, one full dinner with 2 adults drinks each and ice cream drinks and meals for kids, two days lunches at pool snack bar, two full days of waterpark .... 700.00 ... I do not think this is unreasonable. And the convenience of all in one place is awesome. Who has not had a vacation ruined or at least altered by weather?
Always warm and nice in there. I will just NEVER get a family suite again and will personally call the park and ensure what room we get has a better AC system.

Room Tip: Prepare to be uncomfortable in a family suite and noise AC makes cycling on WILL wake up kids.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Thank you for the honest review. I am happy to hear that you are return guests and that you plan to visit us again in the future.

I’m also glad you found the resort to be of good value. With the inclusion of waterpark passes, most guests do say that a trip to Great Wolf Lodge is a good value.

I am sorry that you experienced issues with our Family Suite air conditioning unit. We apologize for any inconvenience that it caused you and your family. Please know that we have 24 hour maintenance on staff that can respond to any issues in order to make you comfortable, so please don’t hesitate to call them day or night.

We look forward to the opportunity to entertain you and your family again soon and hope that you make a stay with us one of your favorite family traditions.

Kind Regards,
Terrie Zajo
Osgood, IN
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My family which include myself, my wife, our two boys (ages 13 & 11), and two of thier friends spend a Saturday night at the Great (not great at all) Wolf Lodge. My wife was able to get a discount through her work and it still cost us over $300 for 1 night and water park passes. We were not there for 1/2 hour when hotel security informed us that all four of the kids were kicked out of the water park for that night because they said another guest "saw them spitting", even though when I asked to identify who that person was, they were unable to do so. After that argument ended, 1 hour later, three boys jumped our boys that were in the hallway and threw punches at them, so, once again, I was forced to have yet another discussion with the same hotel manager/security officer about that situation. The next day the same group of kids started harrasing our boys again, and the Mason police had to be called. Heres the problem with this place:There are hundreds of kids running the hotel and hallways because for an extra $20, they can purchase a Harry Potter magic wand and the hotel has activities set up right in the hallways! When we tried to go to our room, you literally had to dodge kids from running over top of you. The hallways and lobby was packed full of kids because the hotel has now become an instant "babysitter" while the parents relax by the waterpark or read the USA Today newspaper in the lobby. Now for the rooms:They were nice and clean, however, the hotel is built so poorly, that you can actually hear someone walking down the hallways from 200" away. And if someone 10 rooms down closes their door, your entire room shakes. This went on ALL night. The waterpark:Seemed very nice, life guards are constantly watching and helping everyone. Their resturants:OVER PRICED for what you get. The food (at the buffet resturant) was not all that good for $21.00 per person, and the selection was not good at all. My suggestion:Drive 1/2 hour south to CoCo Keys. We had friends that went there in September and they got a room at a hotel next to CoCo Keys for $121.00 that included waterpark passes for 1 day, and if you wanted additional passes for the next day, they were $10.00 each (compaired to $40,00 each at Great Wolf Lodge). And this was a suite room at the hotel next to CoCo Keys! If you have a family of 4, and plan to stay the weekend at Great Wolf Lodge, be prepaired to drop anywhere from $1000-1500 for a two night stay, and thats if you eat at McDonalds for every meal. My friends took 4 kids to CoCo keys for 2 nights and spent a total of $390 which included gas, room, waterpark passes for 4 kids and him and his wife, food, and games.....thats what we almost spent for just the room alone for 1 night at GWL!!!! I'LL NEVER GO THERE AGAIN!!!

Room Tip: Go to CoCo Keys
4 Thank Indybowhntr
Dayton
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We live about a half hour away from this place, and thought it might be a nice overnight trip for a long weekend. They do let you use the waterpark the day you check in and all the way up until closing on the day that you leave. So that's cool.

We were able to use a 20% off coupon through my wife's employer. So that was cool too.

We decided to upgrade to the "Wolf Den" room. Which they charge $40 more a night for. Though this is an upgrade, you don't get any larger space out of the deal. The difference is that there is a walk in closet sized space for the "Wolf Den." It just includes a bunk bed with a mural painted on the walls. I was disappointed in cost difference to what you actually received.

Though Mason, Ohio is not exactly famous for it's scenic views. It would have been nice to have a better view than of the maintenance room from the balcony too.

The waterpark area is nice. My 3-year old loved it. And for the most part all the lifeguards were helpful getting her in and out of the inter tubes rides. She did have a lot of fun.

All in all we would go back, but I don't think I would pay for the room upgrade again. Also, unless you absolutely want to, I wouldn't eat at the resort either. They up charge everything ($2.50 for a 20 oz bottle of water, $3.50 for a cookie). There is a gas station less than a 1/2 mile from the hotel that is much cheaper. And there is a Kroger store less than 5 minutes drive for anything else you would want.

1 Thank JeffnCincinnati
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We took our 3 children to great wolf lodge for an overnight getaway. We stayed in a kids cabin suite and it was very roomy and clean. We always check for bedbugs before we take our luggage in a room and found nothing. We spent several hours at the waterpark the first day and had a late pizza dinner in our room. Everyone was worn out from playing so hard! The next morning my hubby went to mcds to get us breakfast and then we headed back to the waterpark until 5 or 6 in the evening. We would have stayed even later but, once again, the kids were exhausted (just the way we like them before we drive the two hours home). We all had a wonderful time and I'm certain we will go back this year. We won't splurge for the cabin suite again though as we barely spent any time in our room.

• Stayed March 2011