“Wonderful stay - reviews are a good tool but dont base decision on them"”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I was looking for something to do with grandkids and someone suggested this hotel/waterpark. I booked room and later thought to check reviews on this site. I got somewhat worried and almost reconsidered. I'm glad I didnt and am booking again for next year. We were there for 4 days with no ill effects from the chlorine - due to poor weather we could not go to the zoo or amusement park, and spent several hours every day in the park (five adults and 3 children). The staff were all very nice and friendly - from the front desk to the restaurant, grill and snack bar and housekeeping. It is a wonderful place for family with children. I CAN see where it could get crowded in season but that holds true anywhere you go. I also read where people thought it expensive to eat here. I dont know where they are used to but we found the in house restaurant,grill/restaurant, pizza place, and bakery all within acceptable limits. Yes, it is a little pricey but the convenience more than made up for the extra costs and the food was all good. The in park snack bar has multi adult offerings for a "meal" with burger/fries/drink for $8.00 something - the kids were 7.00 something. We live in South Florida and a burger and fries out (other than Wendys/Mc D's quality) are that plus some and not with a drink.
The bar had wonderful frozen drinks - grandparents not used to all the kids all day need a little "something" at the end of the day - again, priced same as most places we have gone. The bakery WAS expensive. Fresh baked apple turnovers and donuts for the "crew" was over $20.00 but again was very good. We stuck to just donuts the next few days and that wasnt as bad. Fresh towels, cribs, anything cheerfully brought to room.
Everyone tried hard to please and seemed happy to be there.
So, read reviews, but remember there are always some people who take their misery with them everywhere they go, and it seems more often than not THEY are the ones who respond to these sites - that is mainly why I wrote this!!!

Room Tip: Only if its slow, ask for an upgrade at checkin
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank KeysGrandma

Reviewed May 24, 2011

We took advantage of the 48 hour sale and got a decent room price, then upgraded when we got there to a loft room. We arrived around 2pm on a Sunday, then went straight to the waterpark. The lines were very short, however they could have staffed more. On the set of 4 slides on one level, there was only one worker which caused a little unnecessary backup.

This trip, we didn't eat at all at the hotel and went offsite. On Sunday there was a big thunderstorm that went through which had a little hail. I was wondering if they'd evacuate the waterpark for fear of lightning.

Well, on Monday, we were at the waterpark and left around 7pm (It closed at 8). Once we got back to the room, we gave the kids a shower and I watched the news, a huge storm was on the way, which I had a great view from the 4th floor balcony facing west. It was beautiful. All of the sudden, the hotel had an emergency notification system in our room and they told us that we were under a Tornado Warning. They said we needed to come down to the first floor for safety. We went down and the staff did an A+ job handing out towels to the families who were evacuated from the waterpark. They also handed out blankets. They eventually moved us to a conference room on the 1st floor and started a movie.

I was impressed. They did a perfect job with this emergency and felt they were well trained with this. All smiles on the staff's favorites and comforting crying children and worried parents.

My kids love this place. We do have an autistic 5 year old child who does very well here. For the autistic parents out there, the whole goal is to put them in a successful environment so they can do well. We have never heard any negative remarks from staff or patrons. My kids cried as we left. It's pricey, yes, but for closing the park to only hotel guests limits the amount of people in the waterpark.

Great job again GWL, we'll see you again in a few months.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank DogButt
Reviewed April 20, 2011

My family and I have been here many times over the years since it opened in Mason. We absolutely love it and always have a great time. The staff is friendly. The resort is always clean. The beds are incredibly comfortable. The food is good but pricey. The waterpark is loads of fun and my kids like the Magiquest game. We will continue going back again and again.

2  Thank queenbee90
Reviewed April 11, 2011

i was stunned to pay $329 per night. this isnt chicago, lol. When i asked if the rate could be reduced, they gave me a line of BS about supply and demand. they never told or for that matter, SHOWED me the value of paying twice as much as I would at a very comporable indoor waterpark.

5  Thank rippedoff77
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Everyone had a wonderful time. Rooms are very expensive on the weekend.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Bridget1974
Reviewed April 4, 2011

My husband, 7 year old son, his friend and I stayed at Great Wolf Lodge for one night. It was spring break so of course it was pretty busy. The lines for check in were long but moved. The staff member at check in was very pleasant and explained that our room wasn't ready but we had use of the entire facility. They gave us our arm bands and we were on our way. When our room was ready, they called our cell phones and we could go to the room at any time. No need to go back to the front desk - very nice.

My son and his friend had a great time at the water park. My son's favorite though is the Magi Quest game. He could play that for hours!

The room was fine. We had the Kids Camp and the boys loved the theme of camping in a tent.

This is my third time to the Lodge and I'm noticing that its not as clean as it used to be. It looks like there has been some wear and tear in the hallways and throughout. Service is kind of a "get it on your own" but overall, its fine.

Great Wolf is pricey and you spend money right and left. However, I would return because my son loves this place.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LCookCincinnati
Reviewed April 4, 2011

This is our 4th waterpark experience. 2 outdoor water parks & Kalahari in Sandusky (several times). We've also vacationed at WDW so we compare our experience to those vacations.

The cost: It's expensive...overpriced? Of course, but it is the all-in-one family rip off exertion that the kids love! Probably comparable to other waterpark/amusement park costs. We stayed 1 night but had 2 days in waterpark. One warning: they tack on a $10 service fee to your reservations which was rolled into the "tax & fees". Never had this at similar venues.

Check in: Website says, "check in begins at 4 pm or as rooms become available". Most travelers would assume this means before 4 but not at the GWL. You can check in at 4 but your room is available when they get it done sometime that night. We checked in at 3:55 and they said we would be called on our cell phone (in a waterpark?) with the room number. As it turned out, I never got the call and had to go back to front desk around 5.

Check out: Check out at 11:00 am. Maid knocked on our door at 9:45 am but we told her that we wouldn't be out until 11:00 am. Not sure why it takes so long to clean the rooms if they start that early.

Staffing: Waterpark is understaffed...at least during spring break. Most major slides had 1 guard working 2 stations. Kept the lines long and slower moving. Haven't seen this at other water parks.

Buffet: Prepaid for the breakfast buffet which saved us a couple bucks per person. Glad we did it. The food was good..typical hotel buffet fare. Wait was minimal and food was plentiful.

Poor air quality: The invisible major negative. We didn't notice this until the second day. All 3 kids (ages 13, 10, and 6) developed a mild cough. My son who has very mild asthma started to get intermittant chest pain. The adults were sneezing and I (mom) had burning eyes. The cough, burning eyes, and sneezing stayed with us in the next 24 hours AWAY from GWL. A little internet research confirmed we had chloramine exposure due to poor indoor air circulation, water filtering, & chlorine. This location had well publicized air quality problems when it first opened but it was supposedly resolved. Based on our experience, when visiting during a peak time, this is still a problem....no matter what the health dept. has ruled!

Rides & Slides: The kids had fun and the rides were good. The water was a bit chilly in the lazy river but overall fun for everyone.

Rooms: Stayed in the kid cabin room. Kids loved the bunk beds and own tv. Room was clean but a little smaller for near top of the line room. Room was very warm. We were on the main floor and I think the humidity from waterpark rises to hotel. Beds were firm especially bunks but kids were too tired to notice (except for teen...who has an opinion on everything!)

Final verdict: Even though it's convenient to our home, we won't go back. The air quality gave us a health scare. We'll stick with the Kalahari in Sandusky which is bigger and better value.

2  Thank ustourists5